Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2020, 05:40 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,757,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
That 4 % makes a HUGE dif when blacks are only 17% of the population?
According to the most recent American Community Survey, the Black population in South Carolina is 1,328,352 – at 26.8% of the total population of South Carolina. The percentage growth of Blacks in America is the third largest percentage change for any race according to the Census's race and ethnicity definition.

Yet. SC is a Red State...... All throughout the south if eligible black electorate voted the political map would be very different. Ferguson was prime example. The citizens voted in abysmal numbers and had NO representation in the local gov. Who's fault is that? And that's regardless of party.

Old 02-10-2020, 05:49 PM

5,984 posts, read 2,238,141 times
Black folk should not enter into partisan politics, should register independent and force both sides to show why they should get our vote. Giving either gang a guaranteed voting block means they will ignore your concerns because your already in the bag. And no block voting, to each it’s own as my concerns may be different than yours.

In reality this is how all Americans should be but that is likely asking too much. People like belonging to a group even if that group does not help them.

Old 02-10-2020, 05:54 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
I left the democrat party because they went too far left on a vast number of issues. One of them, in my opinion, is that they have taken such a divisive position when it comes to race...i.e....liberal media is pushing this under a divide and conquer goal. Economic issues apply all across races. A good economy will lift everyone up and provide more earnings potential, and heck, even those on disability and government assistance can be better cared for when government has more income taxes in their coffers. Sadly, it is money that fixes most of the issues.

In response to another post, yes it wasn't that long ago when I started my life in the workforce and felt the democrats had my back for safe working conditions and fair pay. Stick it to the man getting rich off your hard work and so on. But then those jobs went overseas and no one did a dang thing, but now you've got no job and "the man" is right next to you with food stamps because his business failed too. I ultimately found a different line of work, but many I worked with ended up under-employed and went from making helicopter and airplane parts to "may I take your order please", or "your total is...".
What is an example of this?

I ask because IMO the 'racial divide' is less today than it used to be. Race relations in general are better today than they used to be. Both mainstream media (including conservative Fox News) and partisan media outlets online focus a lot on race as a political subject in order to disparage the other group/party. So I don't "get" the idea that Democrats are more divisive than Republicans. The main difference between partisan politicians in the Democratic party versus those of Republicans is that Democratic party members are more likely to actually speak about racial issues versus Republicans.

Old 02-10-2020, 05:56 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
According to the most recent American Community Survey, the Black population in South Carolina is 1,328,352 – at 26.8% of the total population of South Carolina. The percentage growth of Blacks in America is the third largest percentage change for any race according to the Census's race and ethnicity definition.

Yet. SC is a Red State...... All throughout the south if eligible black electorate voted the political map would be very different. Ferguson was prime example. The citizens voted in abysmal numbers and had NO representation in the local gov. Who's fault is that? And that's regardless of party.
Why are you quoting yourself lol.

On the 4% difference, IMO that difference is primarily due to initiatives that the GOP supports to keep Black Americans from the poll. Do you agree or do you think it is just because African Americans are inferior when it comes to voting?

Old 02-10-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Black folk should not enter into partisan politics, should register independent and force both sides to show why they should get our vote. Giving either gang a guaranteed voting block means they will ignore your concerns because your already in the bag. And no block voting, to each it’s own as my concerns may be different than yours.

In reality this is how all Americans should be but that is likely asking too much. People like belonging to a group even if that group does not help them.
That's Human nature. The problem is that low voter turnout helps the white supremacists and will roll back civil rights 100 years.

Old 02-10-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Why are you quoting yourself lol.

On the 4% difference, IMO that difference is primarily due to initiatives that the GOP supports to keep Black Americans from the poll. Do you agree or do you think it is just because African Americans are inferior when it comes to voting?
Actually I think African Americans have a segment of the population that is apathetic. They don't know how much people sacrificed white and black for the right to vote.

Old 02-10-2020, 06:17 PM

It comes down to the value system in your household. My household valued the power of the vote. There are huge cultural differences when it comes to how conservatives view voting.

Old 02-10-2020, 06:26 PM

19,808 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post

If I were a middle- or upper-class black person, I would be equally outraged at both major parties because in my opinion, both parties act as though blacks are inferior. Generally speaking, Republicans do this by favoring whites more than blacks in their administrations; and Democrats do this by acting as though the typical black person is not capable of achieving as much as whites by their own efforts. (Yes, 50-plus years ago, one had to be an extraordinary person to be successful, but I don't think that has been true for at least 25 years.)

In my opinion, most people mostly succeed entirely according to their own efforts and intelligence, although what kind of parents one has (income, ethics, class, etc.) definitely play a very large part, also! (And, yes, luck also plays a part.)

Old 02-10-2020, 07:10 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,225,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
My friends and I were recently discussing exactly that.....and the consensus is it certainly lessens the empathy we have had towards the black community and their struggles.
I wish people would stop trying to make gay the new black. It’s not. It never was. It never will be.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:27 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,225,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Nope. I don’t vote Republican due to my views on religious liberty and separation of church and state etc It is you that assumes the reasons why every “black” person might not vote for the GOP. Not surprised though.
Goes back everyone wanting to talk ABOUT us but not wanting to hear FROM us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
If you're hateful and bigoted and homophobic and selfish for your rights but not others....then yeah, maybe you should switch to the GOP. Good riddance.
Somebody needs to go back and READ the explanation. Followed by the QUESTIONS asked in the original post. That is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies