Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 08:52 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,030 times

Advertisements

So I've got your attention with the title of the thread. Good. This is something to think about. This was the party we gravitated to towards the past, until the 1960s. Perhaps we could fix what was broken in this party which resulted in the massive flee.

This could also apply to registering for other mainstream parties.

If we got more of us flooding OTHER parties we could be of more influence at some point. I think the focus should be about way more than simply "having a seat at the table." I'd like to see more of us running for political positions in both parties. Specifically more CENTER left and CENTER right. I don't think that either extreme side is a good thing. The far left and far right are actually pretty similar if you think about it. They both play the race card, they both use identify politics, they both lack empathy for those who disagree at all with them. Both extremes lack any compassion for those who they deem not to be up to their standards.

Changing the climate of both of the mainstream parties would actually be of a great advantage to us in the sense that we could see that we are not at the bottom of the list. The influence could start at the local government and work it's way up to the federal level.

I'm not telling anyone to just go run and register with any particular party, however this is something to think about and would make for an interesting dialogue.

What do you think? Should we be focused on changing the climate of each party and ideology or focus on forming separate political parties that mimic the current ones? Should we just put all of our energy into a third party or register as Independents? Also, why do you think that moderation/centrism seems to be virtually non-existent today?

In the event that the action suggested above is taken, what issues do you think should be priority?

Why Did Black Voters Flee The Republican Party In The 1960s?

SONNIE JOHNSON INTERVIEW WITH KAREN HUNTER

TEZLYN FIGARO-BREAKFAST CLUB INTERVIEW ON SUPPORTING THE INDEPENDENT PARTY

Last edited by pandorafan5687; 02-09-2020 at 09:39 AM..

Old 02-09-2020, 12:15 PM

73,027 posts, read 62,634,962 times
I've thought about something else. I've wondered the value of telling both parties to take a hike. If Blacks pulled their votes from both parties and put their vote to an independent party or their own party, I wonder if this would get both parties to wake up. I would like to talk abotu D vs R later. However, I figured if neither party got the Black vote, if both parties would have to strategize elsewhere. Or perhaps other people would follow behind that party?

Old 02-09-2020, 12:17 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've thought about something else. I've wondered the value of telling both parties to take a hike. If Blacks pulled their votes from both parties and put their vote to an independent party or their own party, I wonder if this would get both parties to wake up. I would like to talk abotu D vs R later. However, I figured if neither party got the Black vote, if both parties would have to strategize elsewhere. Or perhaps other people would follow behind that party?
If blacks pulled their votes from both parties, then Trump definitely wins.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Not necessarily. Suppose other people pull out too and pick a 3rd party? What then?

What do you want?

Old 02-09-2020, 12:28 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
The only time blacks are pandered to is during the primaries, after that, no one cares because they overwhelmingly vote Democrat no matter what, and are mostly located in heavy Democrat districts that will go for the Democrats anyway despite the turnout. Election after election it is like this.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:31 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Yep. Even if every single black American voted for the new party (despite the voting turnout of around 65%), that's at best 18% of the votes. Far more votes would be lost from the Dems than from Trump's default voting base. That would mean <50% votes for Dems, 18% for the new party, and >50% for Trump.

However there are different types of conservatives. If they branched off into different parties as well, then the US might finally have a chance of electing someone who actually represents a significant percentage of normal people.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The only time blacks are pandered to is during the primaries, after that, no one cares because they overwhelmingly vote Democrat no matter what, and are mostly located in heavy Democrat districts that will go for the Democrats anyway despite the turnout. Election after election it is like this.
And Republicans don't seem to care much for Blacks at all. In my opinion, it seems like both parties aren't all that good for Black Americans, at this point in time. This is why I am wary of persons who come up with threads like "Blacks love Trump" or "Blacks are ungrateful to Trump" or "why do Blacks vote Democrat so much",etc. Trump won with very little help from Blacks, so why do some Trump supporters care who Blacks support?

Old 02-09-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Yep. Even if every single black American voted for the new party (despite the voting turnout of around 65%), that's at best 18% of the votes. Far more votes would be lost from the Dems than from Trump's default voting base. This would guarantee more Trump.
Well at this point, the Democratic Party is about as helpful for Black Americans as the Republican Party. The GOP has done nothing for Blacks lately. The Democratic Party has grown less and less helpful for Black Americans. And then we have some conservatives complaining about Blacks support the Democrats and not the GOP. I think Black Americans need to come up with something, if nothing else, to help ourselves.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:35 PM

3,749 posts, read 1,444,991 times
Quote:
The American black population is 12 percent. That 12 percent wont do much damage on national elections, however can bring change locally or in states where black American is the largest demographic. Blacks putting thier votes for 3rd party on national stage wont do much unless everyone regardles of race supports a 3rd party.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:37 PM

3,749 posts, read 1,444,991 times
Quote:
Well at this point, the Democratic Party is about as helpful for Black Americans as the Republican Party. The GOP has done nothing for Blacks lately. The Democratic Party has grown less and less helpful for Black Americans. And then we have some conservatives complaining about Blacks support the Democrats and not the GOP. I think Black Americans need to come up with something, if nothing else, to help ourselves.
What I find picular about the African American is that they are culturally conservative, but still vote Democrat. Many African Americans are just as conservative as white Americans who vote Republican. During the 2020 national election. I expect about 1/4 - 1/3 African American American to vote for Trump at most. While the remainder of black men and 99 percent of African American women will vote Dem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies