Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2020, 09:16 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Most black people just cannot relate to the typical white conservative despite their shared "culturally conservative" values. This slowly changes as more black people move into higher income brackets and have shared economic interests with white conservatives.

But the typical black working class guy who lives in an all black neighborhood doesn't really feel like he has all that much in common with the upper middle class suburban white person regardless of political party.
On this, what I posted above about the fact that I as a black American know that racism exists, that it is heavily centered on the idea that black people are inferior to others, and the fact that white supremacy ideology is a huge part of the greater American culture, are "interests" that directly contradict most white conservatives.

I am in a higher income bracket and have a lot of conservative views. However, I do consider myself to be a center left independent. My spouse is actually much more religiously conservative and fiscally conservative. However, he is what I call a "race man" meaning that he recognizes the impact of white supremacy ideology on black families and especially on black men. Because of that, he and you won't have much interests no matter our income bracket.

As I noted above, "race" is a political issue for black Americans. It is not for most white conservatives. Many white conservatives don't believe that racism impacts African Americans in any substantial way. Due to that, no matter the economic interests, a majority of black Americans, even those in higher income brackets, will not support the current brand of conservatism.

There were white and black conservatives who tried to bring this issue of racial politics into the GOP prior to Trump's election. However, due to Trump IMO they are not looking at doing so any time soon again.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:18 AM

13,941 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've thought about something else. I've wondered the value of telling both parties to take a hike.
Cut your quote there because imho, that's where everyone should stop, black people most of all.

Brother Malcolm was right that black people are a political football, but he omitted that so is everyone else who has any sort of propagandist value to oligarchs running things. Thing about that is this - without the ball, there is no game. You are the ball, and by opting out of the two party circus, you take the ball and go home.

Every piece of civil rights legislation up to and including the CRA of 1964, passed with higher Republican support than Democrat. But I give LBJ credit for marketing it all as a big win by Democrats. Whatever. Point being, since 1965, where has the >90% loyalty to Democrats gotten black people as a specific demographic, that less loyalty HASN'T gotten other demographics? Given the unwavering, rock solid support blacks give that party, which far surpasses anyone else, you'd think at this point that black people would be running the country, or at the very least, the Democratic party. Are they?

Look at every city that has had Democrat stranglehold on government for more than 20 years. What do all of them have in common where the daily lives of the average black person is concerned? Understand that I realize it isn't much better, if at all, in cities/states dominated by Republicans for more than 20 years, but those guys aren't getting that 90% loyalty like Democrats, so who cares about them. I am asking where this 90% loyalty gets you, because from where I sit (the cheap seats in Anarchistan, as p_1ssed off white guy), doesn't seem like damn near religious adherence to Democrat voting is getting black people anywhere, or at least not much farther than the 10% or less "Eff You GOP devils" vote the Republicans are getting. It gets your "leadership" paid and kept comfy for sure, but the average black person doesn't seem to get much from their one party zealotry.

Again, I acknowledge that Republicans are no better, and this is in no way a sales pitch to go vote or those idiots. I am simply asking what all that fervent, devoted, passionate loyalty for Democrats for the last 55 years has gotten you?

Seems to me black people should be middle fingering government generally, since it is almost no help and all harm.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:20 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Dr. King WAS a Republican, until he got involved with Kennedy, and later on Barry Goldwater did not support the Civil Rights Act. When Goldwater didn't support the CRA, Dr. King encouraged alot of Blacks not to support Goldwater. Goldwater is where it all ended.

Goldwater is an odd case. Goldwater rejected the CRA on Libertarian grounds, not segregationist grounds.

He was personally a non-segregationist in his own family business, and he also opposed segregation at any level in government (he famously fought segregation in the Air Force, his own service), and he opposed laws in the South that required or enforced segregation.

But on Libertarian grounds, he was also opposed to a law that would force private businesses to integrate.

Unfortunately, he felt so strongly about that issue that he was willing to ally himself to those who opposed the CRA on racial grounds.

(Personally, the Democrat political ads that I recall most vividly from that time were the ads marking Goldwater as the the man who would get us all nuked if he were elected president.)

Quote:
And something else. If Lincoln is how far you have to go in terms of why Blacks should support the GOP, that shows you can't come up with much.

The Republican Party was proudly progressive (even called themselves "Progressives") right up through the turn of the 20th century. But the inherent problem is that the Republican Party had started as an alliance of social progressives and big industry--both groups being anti-slavery for their own reasons.

After winning the slavery issue, in the latter 1800s the Republican progressives aimed their guns more and more at big industry anti-labor policies of the so-called Gilded Age, creating inter-party conflict. By the 1910s, the party broke apart. The progressives created their own third party, leaving the Republican party to libertarian-ish big industry. But split that allowed the then-regressive Democrat party an opportunity to take control.

Over the course of the next 30 or so years, progressives began infiltrating the Democratic party in the north resulting in a distinctly schizophrenic Democratic party by 1960. It was clearly becoming more and more progressive, but the regressive southern Democrats (the "Dixiecrats") of that day would die before they'd register into the "party of Lincoln."

Over the course of the latter quarter of the 20th century, those "we'll die first" Dixiecrats did die...and their children joined the Republican party.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Whta about white blue collar conservatives? That is a more apt comparison.

The white blue collar vote had been Democratic for half a century. If anything, identity politics practiced by the Democrat party has run them away.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
Trump got around 15 percent of the black vote. Most of it coming from black males. My warning to black men in America is this. If you are married or enganged or with a girlfriend who is anti Trump and you as a black male vote for Trump. Expect either a divorce or break up and that black woman you are with will wreck you life with alimony and child support. The black American female is not playing with black males anymore.

That's because those women realized they were sleeping with stupid men.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:26 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
People vote for the lessor of 2 evils often. Belief and results are 2 different things. The nundanes don't think, they do asthey are told.

Only the ones who stay out of trying to run my life. That's the difference between you and me. I'm fighting for my rights and to live my life unencumbered. You're looking for handouts and don't care about the theft involved if you profit.

The only BSing is from your juvenile posts. My posts contain facts and they are not based on one silly data point which screams "Hey everyone, look at me, this is about me!!!"

People who don't care about the truth, who don't care about the facts, while playing the victim card will never ever get it.

Unless one accepts the truth that children from single parent families are much worse off than those raised in a 2 parent family then one will never get it. If one is going to deny the FACT that children raised in single parent families are less educated, make less money, and commit a much, much higher rate of crime because they haven't been trained for life well then no one should ever listen to them.
I want black people to be unencumbered from the legacy of racial oppression in the same way that you want to be unencumbered from large government. Hence, I seek repair, which requires an increase in size of the government and you seek a small government in order to prevent any such repair so that you can keep whatever accrued advantage your race provides you.

Your point about single parent homes is just as valid as my point that the most successful basketball and football players generally come from single parent homes. Hence, maybe the solution to whites not having proportional numbers in the NBA and NFL, with their general population numbers, is due to them not living in single parent homes. Do you think increasing the number of single parent white households would increase the white percentage in the NBA and NFL? I mean, the data does show that most of the good players in those leagues come from single parent homes.

The argument is whether single parent homes is the root cause of something, or just a symptom of something. I don't think you think beyond the superficial to know.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:27 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,274,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On this, what I posted above about the fact that I as a black American know that racism exists, that it is heavily centered on the idea that black people are inferior to others, and the fact that white supremacy ideology is a huge part of the greater American culture, are "interests" that directly contradict most white conservatives.

I am in a higher income bracket and have a lot of conservative views. However, I do consider myself to be a center left independent. My spouse is actually much more religiously conservative and fiscally conservative. However, he is what I call a "race man" meaning that he recognizes the impact of white supremacy ideology on black families and especially on black men. Because of that, he and you won't have much interests no matter our income bracket.

As I noted above, "race" is a political issue for black Americans. It is not for most white conservatives. Many white conservatives don't believe that racism impacts African Americans in any substantial way. Due to that, no matter the economic interests, a majority of black Americans, even those in higher income brackets, will not support the current brand of conservatism.

There were white and black conservatives who tried to bring this issue of racial politics into the GOP prior to Trump's election. However, due to Trump IMO they are not looking at doing so any time soon again.
Wow. You really think that’s true?

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Please do not promote the dishonest agenda that blacks left the republican party in the 1960s. It happened with FDR when he got 2/3 of the black vote. That wasn't the first major shift. It was THE major shift.

And there was no Southern strategy. Nixon did what Ike did, went into the major cities to appeal to the Northerners who moved South because that's where they moved. The cities.
The repubs couldn't appeal to the bigoted southern democrats because they were firmly planted as democrats. The repubs didn't gain control of the Southern Congress until the early 1990s. The less racist the South became, the more republican it became. Just to be clear there was no party jumping of note either. only one Senator switched parties.
This post is completely dishonest as well.

While your first paragraph is accurate in terms of when the black vote shifted it.... doesn't account for the fact that probably somewhere between 80-90% of southern blacks were disenfranchised until the 1960s.

Your second paragraph is flat out false. The Southern strategy occurred. Lee Atwater admitted that it occurred The shift of conservative southern democrats switching to republican began as more blacks started voting democrat in the 1960s. It was further driven by great society programs and wedge issues such as forced busing. It took another couple decades for the yellow dogs to die out which strangely enough coincided with the 1990s.

There is effectively no such thing as a conservative white southern democrat anymore. Conservative white republicans have switched to attempting to brand southern white democrats as the legacy of the "racist south" and have now started up with the "democrat plantation" bit.

What is funny is that liberal democrats in the south will own the fact that their parents and grandparents were those "racist southerners". Republicans in the south claim they were brought there by storks or by those republicans who moved in from the north. LOL.

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Cut your quote there because imho, that's where everyone should stop, black people most of all.

Brother Malcolm was right that black people are a political football, but he omitted that so is everyone else who has any sort of propagandist value to oligarchs running things. Thing about that is this - without the ball, there is no game. You are the ball, and by opting out of the two party circus, you take the ball and go home.

Every piece of civil rights legislation up to and including the CRA of 1964, passed with higher Republican support than Democrat. But I give LBJ credit for marketing it all as a big win by Democrats. Whatever. Point being, since 1965, where has the >90% loyalty to Democrats gotten black people as a specific demographic, that less loyalty HASN'T gotten other demographics? Given the unwavering, rock solid support blacks give that party, which far surpasses anyone else, you'd think at this point that black people would be running the country. Are they?

Look at every city that has had Democrat stranglehold on government for more than 20 years. What do all of them have in common where the daily lives of the average black person is concerned? Understand that I realize it isn't much better, if at all, in cities/states dominated by Republicans for more than 20 years, but those guys aren't getting that 90% loyalty like Democrats, so who cares about them. I am asking where this 90% loyalty gets you, because from where I sit (the cheap seats in Anarchistan, as p_1ssed off white guy), doesn't seem like damn near religious adherence to Democrat voting is getting black people anywhere, or at least not much farther than the 10% or less "Eff You GOP devils" vote the Republicans are getting. It gets your "leadership" paid and kept comfy for sure, but the average black person doesn't seem to get much from their one party zealotry.

Again, I acknowledge that Republicans are no better, and this is in no way a sales pitch to go vote or those idiots. I am simply asking what all that fervent, devoted, passionate loyalty for Democrats for the last 55 years has gotten you?

Seems to me black people should be middle fingering government generally, since it is almost no help and all harm.
This is a very....I can only think of "basic" way to view black politics.

Most politics are local. Most urban areas regardless of the black population in those areas are run by Democrats. Your idea above is basic based on the fact that African Americans, as I noted above, see race as political. It is political both within the Democratic and Republican parties and the policies that each support/propose.

African Americans have always supported specific policy initiatives like the CRA, like housing initiatives in local communities/states, like education (African Americans heavily support school vouchers BTW and partnered with the GOP in nearly every state to get "school choice" in areas where it is).

We are not one-sided like you think nor do we believe en mass that Democrats "do" anything of significance for us. We have more influence within the Democratic party however from the 1970s forward. What that has "done" for us is to increase our incomes, decrease the chances of us being discriminated against in the housing market, decrease the chances of us being discriminated against in the job market, increased our access to and completion of secondary education, decreased our crime rates and rates of addiction to hardcore drugs, etc.

There are a lot of things that black people in general have accomplished by way of putting stress upon Democratic politicians in particular. We also have "crossed over" on issues that Democrats wouldn't consider - especially the school choice debate and sided with Republicans on that issue. This is why there is a split within the Democratic party on that issue.

Most Americans are not aware of the political history of African Americans to know - like Malcolm mentioned, that parties do come after us in voting season, but also like DuBois before him stated - all political parties are racist against us and the only way to get what we want from them is to use our influence in that particular party. If our influence wanes, like it did in the Republican Party, we will more readily support another.

I'll note that there was a huge debate within black America in the 1970s in particular about the idea of us creating our own party. That was seen to not be a valid option for national politics. However, it can and could have an impact on states where there is a huge black population, especially southern states for local elections. However it was thought that it would be a negative for the black population due to it causing less support for either the Dems or Repubs and that it could cause politicians to be elected due to us supporting a 3rd party that we don't want. So it was decided to heavily focus on a major political party during that era. The 1970s is the era that black political thought highly evolved and many people are unaware of our political history in this regard.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:28 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I want black people to be unencumbered from the legacy of racial oppression in the same way that you want to be unencumbered from large government. Hence, I seek repair, which requires an increase in size of the government and you seek a small government in order to prevent any such repair so that you can keep whatever accrued advantage your race provides you.

Your point about single parent homes is just as valid as my point that the most successful basketball and football players generally come from single parent homes. Hence, maybe the solution to whites not having proportional numbers in the NBA and NFL, with there general population numbers, is due to them not living in single parent homes.

The argument is whether single parent homes is the root cause of something, or just a symptom of something. I don't think you think beyond the superficial to know.
what? lolololol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies