Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2020, 08:25 AM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
If blacks pulled their votes from both parties, then Trump definitely wins.
Didn't he prove that he could win without the black vote?

Old 02-10-2020, 08:25 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Hate to say it, but Trump seems like he's been doing things for blacks in a way many haven't, like helping out HCBUs and unemployment.

But I generally agree and have said this for years; Presidents don't do much to help the everyday man, it's more vital to vote and research your local elections.
Helping unemployment helps all Americans. Further, there was a larger decrease in black unemployment under Obama.

Many black people do not attend HBCUs so that has nothing to do with black people in general. Other groups attend HBCUs as well.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:26 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That do not want anyone to know MLK and his Father were Republicans, and the party of Lincoln.
I've said it before and I'll say it again - anyone who thinks that black people don't know that Lincoln or MLK were Republicans have an inferior view of black people.

This is common knowledge and nothing that "they" (whoever "they" are) are keeping from us. We are not idiots like you think we are.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:36 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
The reason there should be racial politics is because the legacy of nations wrongs were applied racially.
And when was that, prior to all the laws and amendments passed to end discrimination?

Quote:
You cannot efficiently address the undoing of those wrongs without an equal focus on race in the solution as there was a focus on race in creating the problem. Simply correcting laws does not correct all the problems the incorrect laws created.
How long is it going is the US going to be suspended in the pre-ERA era of 1963?

Quote:
Its kind of like if you just lifted weights with your right side. For years you only did one are bicep curls with your right arm. Your right arm got huge and jacked, but your left arm looks scrawny. Now you say that you are going to exercise both the same. How can you get the scrawny arm to look like the muscular arm without TARGETING it for more reps or effort?
Are you thinking that the federal government is able to pass some law and effectively eliminate all bigotry? and that it hasn't done so, even under Obama?

There are always going to be bigots. Bigots who treat you different because of race, skin color, ethnicity, accent, appearance, weight, politics, etc... The list goes on and on for why someone you've never met before is prejudging you, and not treating you fairly.

All we can do on the federal level is write laws to protect people from being treated unfairly. It sounds like you want special laws written to lift up a group of people and give them preferential treatment in 2020, because of the way the peron's great grand parent may have been mistreated. Even if the people receiving this special treatment, are recent immigrants to the nation.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:39 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
So I've got your attention with the title of the thread. Good. This is something to think about. This was the party we gravitated to towards the past, until the 1960s. Perhaps we could fix what was broken in this party which resulted in the massive flee.

This could also apply to registering for other mainstream parties.

If we got more of us flooding OTHER parties we could be of more influence at some point. I think the focus should be about way more than simply "having a seat at the table." I'd like to see more of us running for political positions in both parties. Specifically more CENTER left and CENTER right. I don't think that either extreme side is a good thing. The far left and far right are actually pretty similar if you think about it. They both play the race card, they both use identify politics, they both lack empathy for those who disagree at all with them. Both extremes lack any compassion for those who they deem not to be up to their standards.

Changing the climate of both of the mainstream parties would actually be of a great advantage to us in the sense that we could see that we are not at the bottom of the list. The influence could start at the local government and work it's way up to the federal level.

I'm not telling anyone to just go run and register with any particular party, however this is something to think about and would make for an interesting dialogue.

What do you think? Should we be focused on changing the climate of each party and ideology or focus on forming separate political parties that mimic the current ones? Should we just put all of our energy into a third party or register as Independents? Also, why do you think that moderation/centrism seems to be virtually non-existent today?

In the event that the action suggested above is taken, what issues do you think should be priority?

Why Did Black Voters Flee The Republican Party In The 1960s?

SONNIE JOHNSON INTERVIEW WITH KAREN HUNTER

TEZLYN FIGARO-BREAKFAST CLUB INTERVIEW ON SUPPORTING THE INDEPENDENT PARTY
Well, THIS year, your only option would be Trump. 2024 might be a better year when you could actually have some impact on the candidate chosen

Old 02-10-2020, 08:43 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Hate to say it, but Trump seems like he's been doing things for blacks in a way many haven't, like helping out HCBUs and unemployment.

But I generally agree and have said this for years; Presidents don't do much to help the everyday man, it's more vital to vote and research your local elections.
I'm an HBCU alum. Trump hasn't done anything of much significance for HBCUs like the media claims. There has been some things that benefitted specific institutions, but there most of his adminstrations remarks, which mainstream media reports about are not huge gains to HBCUs in general.

Here is a better source and review - both positive and negative and neutral regarding Trump and initiatives in higher education that impact HBCUs.

Is Trump Administration Really "Bigger and Better" for HBCUs

From the article regarding "funding" in general that Trump claims has been increased and how this is not entirely accurate:

Quote:
Trump claimed in his speech that he increased federal funding to HBCUs by a “record” 13 percent, “the highest ever done.” But Dillard University President Dr. Walter M. Kimbrough said that’s not quite accurate. He pointed out that Trump’s percentage isn’t just money given directly to institutions. It includes loans, as well as capital finance loan deferment for 13 HBCUs.

“The overall budget has increased but most of that increase is borrowing capacity,” he said. “It’s going to have to be paid back.”
See bold - most of the so-called increased in funding is just a deferment on loans that will need to be paid back, so it wasn't actually given to HBCUs with no strings.

Some positives:

Quote:
HBCUs have benefitted from increases in federal funding, the restoration of year-round Pell Grants and debt cancellation for HBCUs hit by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita....

Dillard University, was one of the schools that had its disaster loan forgiven after Hurricane Katrina. Without loan forgiveness, the university would have had to pay back $2 million a year for 20 years which would’ve put a “strain” on the budget, said Kimbrough. While it was proposed under the Obama administration, Congress passed it under the Trump administration with the help of U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos.

“I can’t act like that’s nothing,” Kimbrough said. “That’s a big deal. And the administration should be proud of that.”
The bold is a positive for Dillard in particular and other HBCUs that suffered damage.

This article is from September prior to the passage of the FUTURE act. Below is about that Act. It was passed after this article was published; however, it extended a program started under Obama that was set to expire. Trump and his supporters often mention this as if it is something that Trump created but it is a program that Obama created. Trump did sign the extension of the funding but if he hadn't he'd be able to be criticized for not doing so. I'm glad he did but IMO it is not something that deserves him being put on a pedestal of being a white savior of HBCUs.

Quote:
But the biggest elephant in the room during Trump’s remarks was the Fostering Undergraduate Talent by Unlocking Resources for Education Act or FUTURE Act, which just passed in the U.S. House of Representatives and will soon head to the Senate.

This legislation would renew $255 million in annual funding for HBCUs and other minority serving institutions. The $850 million program initiated under Obama funded HBCUs for ten years. The funding is set to expire on Sept. 30th.

“That’s real money,” Kimbrough said. While Obama has often been accused of neglecting HBCUs, Trump has done “nothing comparable” to support them.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:44 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
So I've got your attention with the title of the thread. Good. This is something to think about. This was the party we gravitated to towards the past, until the 1960s. Perhaps we could fix what was broken in this party which resulted in the massive flee.

This could also apply to registering for other mainstream parties.

If we got more of us flooding OTHER parties we could be of more influence at some point. I think the focus should be about way more than simply "having a seat at the table." I'd like to see more of us running for political positions in both parties. Specifically more CENTER left and CENTER right. I don't think that either extreme side is a good thing. The far left and far right are actually pretty similar if you think about it. They both play the race card, they both use identify politics, they both lack empathy for those who disagree at all with them. Both extremes lack any compassion for those who they deem not to be up to their standards.

Changing the climate of both of the mainstream parties would actually be of a great advantage to us in the sense that we could see that we are not at the bottom of the list. The influence could start at the local government and work it's way up to the federal level.

I'm not telling anyone to just go run and register with any particular party, however this is something to think about and would make for an interesting dialogue.

What do you think? Should we be focused on changing the climate of each party and ideology or focus on forming separate political parties that mimic the current ones? Should we just put all of our energy into a third party or register as Independents? Also, why do you think that moderation/centrism seems to be virtually non-existent today?

In the event that the action suggested above is taken, what issues do you think should be priority?
Please do not promote the dishonest agenda that blacks left the republican party in the 1960s. It happened with FDR when he got 2/3 of the black vote. That wasn't the first major shift. It was THE major shift.

And there was no Southern strategy. Nixon did what Ike did, went into the major cities to appeal to the Northerners who moved South because that's where they moved. The cities.
The repubs couldn't appeal to the bigoted southern democrats because they were firmly planted as democrats. The repubs didn't gain control of the Southern Congress until the early 1990s. The less racist the South became, the more republican it became. Just to be clear there was no party jumping of note either. only one Senator switched parties.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:47 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
And when was that, prior to all the laws and amendments passed to end discrimination?

How long is it going is the US going to be suspended in the pre-ERA era of 1963?

Are you thinking that the federal government is able to pass some law and effectively eliminate all bigotry? and that it hasn't done so, even under Obama?

There are always going to be bigots. Bigots who treat you different because of race, skin color, ethnicity, accent, appearance, weight, politics, etc... The list goes on and on for why someone you've never met before is prejudging you, and not treating you fairly.

All we can do on the federal level is write laws to protect people from being treated unfairly. It sounds like you want special laws written to lift up a group of people and give them preferential treatment in 2020, because of the way the peron's great grand parent may have been mistreated. Even if the people receiving this special treatment, are recent immigrants to the nation.

"How long" is what black people were thinking during their 3 centuries of racial oppression. Now you want to know "how long" is the repair going to take? It takes what it takes.....depending upon how sincere, targeted and intelligent the effort.

When you shut the door on the bad.....you shut the door on the good, because they both need to come through the same opening. Racial targeting, to the negative, was bad, no question about it. However, how can you repair the damage without racial targeting? Shutting the door on racial targeting helps to prevent the continuum of racial oppression, which has been the American experience for blacks. However, closing the door makes it harder for blacks to recover from that legacy with positive racial targeting.

Again, you exercised your right arm for a decade, doing bicep curls with weights. Now your right arm is much bigger and stronger than your left arm. How would you work to get both arms roughly the same? Would you target the weaker arm with special effort or would you treat them both the same? Be honest?

Old 02-10-2020, 08:48 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've thought about something else. I've wondered the value of telling both parties to take a hike. If Blacks pulled their votes from both parties and put their vote to an independent party or their own party, I wonder if this would get both parties to wake up. I would like to talk abotu D vs R later. However, I figured if neither party got the Black vote, if both parties would have to strategize elsewhere. Or perhaps other people would follow behind that party?

We're not a big enough voting bloc--and we're certainly not a consistently reliable enough voting bloc--to make a difference. We've been force to acknowledge that on more than one vote.

But more importantly, Republicans on every level of government, from dog catcher on up, work constantly to deny black people the vote. They gerrymander and pass restrictive voting laws at the state level. They close polling places in black neighborhoods at the local level. The Republican dog catcher is probably wondering if releasing all the dogs in black areas on election day will keep us in the house.

Black voters in Georgia discovered the hard way that it was a mistake not to pay attention to who was being elected Secretary of State.

Not voting--and specifically, failing to vote against every Republican running for anything--is the biggest mistake black people can make.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:48 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I'm an HBCU alum. Trump hasn't done anything of much significance for HBCUs like the media claims. There has been some things that benefitted specific institutions, but there most of his adminstrations remarks, which mainstream media reports about are not huge gains to HBCUs in general.

Here is a better source and review - both positive and negative and neutral regarding Trump and initiatives in higher education that impact HBCUs.

Is Trump Administration Really "Bigger and Better" for HBCUs

From the article regarding "funding" in general that Trump claims has been increased and how this is not entirely accurate:

See bold - most of the so-called increased in funding is just a deferment on loans that will need to be paid back, so it wasn't actually given to HBCUs with no strings.

Some positives:

The bold is a positive for Dillard in particular and other HBCUs that suffered damage.

This article is from September prior to the passage of the FUTURE act. Below is about that Act. It was passed after this article was published; however, it extended a program started under Obama that was set to expire. Trump and his supporters often mention this as if it is something that Trump created but it is a program that Obama created. Trump did sign the extension of the funding but if he hadn't he'd be able to be criticized for not doing so. I'm glad he did but IMO it is not something that deserves him being put on a pedestal of being a white savior of HBCUs.
LOL Typical post from a lefty, looking for handouts from the President. I need the President to run my life?? Why??? All the President needs to do is his job. And that doesn't include running your life.

btw It's not about you. It never is and your silly one data point examples are just that, silly. I guess they didn't teach you how to solve problems and to look for the truth at your HBCU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies