Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 12:38 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
The American black population is 12 percent. That 12 percent wont do much damage on national elections, however can bring change locally or in states where black American is the largest demographic. Blacks putting thier votes for 3rd party on national stage wont do much unless everyone regardles of race supports a 3rd party.
If Blacks are only 12 percent of the population, why are there conservatives right here on city-data getting obsessive in regards to who Blacks vote for?

If you think a 3rd party won't work, then what will? I have no reason to put my vote to Trump or much of the GOP at this point.

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
So I've got your attention with the title of the thread. Good. This is something to think about. This was the party we gravitated to towards the past, until the 1960s. Perhaps we could fix what was broken in this party which resulted in the massive flee.

This could also apply to registering for other mainstream parties.

If we got more of us flooding OTHER parties we could be of more influence at some point. I think the focus should be about way more than simply "having a seat at the table." I'd like to see more of us running for political positions in both parties. Specifically more CENTER left and CENTER right. I don't think that either extreme side is a good thing. The far left and far right are actually pretty similar if you think about it. They both play the race card, they both use identify politics, they both lack empathy for those who disagree at all with them. Both extremes lack any compassion for those who they deem not to be up to their standards.

Changing the climate of both of the mainstream parties would actually be of a great advantage to us in the sense that we could see that we are not at the bottom of the list. The influence could start at the local government and work it's way up to the federal level.

I'm not telling anyone to just go run and register with any particular party, however this is something to think about and would make for an interesting dialogue.

What do you think? Should we be focused on changing the climate of each party and ideology or focus on forming separate political parties that mimic the current ones? Should we just put all of our energy into a third party or register as Independents? Also, why do you think that moderation/centrism seems to be virtually non-existent today?

In the event that the action suggested above is taken, what issues do you think should be priority?

Why Did Black Voters Flee The Republican Party In The 1960s?

SONNIE JOHNSON INTERVIEW WITH KAREN HUNTER

TEZLYN FIGARO-BREAKFAST CLUB INTERVIEW ON SUPPORTING THE INDEPENDENT PARTY

That do not want anyone to know MLK and his Father were Republicans, and the party of Lincoln.

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Joe Biden essentially told the other Democrats at the debate that African Americans were "his", so back off.

Can't imagine supporting a politician who would think that way about me.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:42 PM

3,749 posts, read 1,444,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Joe Biden essentially told the other Democrats at the debate that African Americans were "his", so back off.

Can't imagine supporting a politician who would think that way about me.
Hillary Clinton said she has black women in her pocket. She was right, 96 percent of black women voted for Hillary in 2016. It is hard for black American to support Buttigieg due to him being gay, and to support Bernie. If you are a black academic, you cant support straight white males like Biden and Sanders, like wise for lying Warren on her Native American ancestry. The black vote is scerewed for 2020. My best bet if you are a Black American is to stay in your lane and worry about your local elections like what I'm doing. Your local election is just as important than the presidential election.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:45 PM

17,806 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
What I find picular about the African American is that they are culturally conservative, but still vote Democrat. Many African Americans are just as conservative as white Americans who vote Republican.
Most black people just cannot relate to the typical white conservative despite their shared "culturally conservative" values. This slowly changes as more black people move into higher income brackets and have shared economic interests with white conservatives.

But the typical black working class guy who lives in an all black neighborhood doesn't really feel like he has all that much in common with the upper middle class suburban white person regardless of political party.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:47 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,811,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well at this point, the Democratic Party is about as helpful for Black Americans as the Republican Party. The GOP has done nothing for Blacks lately. The Democratic Party has grown less and less helpful for Black Americans. And then we have some conservatives complaining about Blacks support the Democrats and not the GOP. I think Black Americans need to come up with something, if nothing else, to help ourselves.
This is not meant to be contentious but what do you want a politician, any politician, to do for you?

Old 02-09-2020, 12:48 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That do not want anyone to know MLK and his Father were Republicans, and the party of Lincoln.
Dr. King WAS a Republican, until he got involved with Kennedy, and later on Barry Goldwater did not support the Civil Rights Act. When Goldwater didn't support the CRA, Dr. King encouraged alot of Blacks not to support Goldwater. Goldwater is where it all ended.

And something else. If Lincoln is how far you have to go in terms of why Blacks should support the GOP, that shows you can't come up with much. The Republican Party is also the party of the Lily White Movement. This was a movement within the GOP to oust Blacks from the party. Herbert Hoover tried to appeal to Whites in the South by breaking his alliances with Blacks. This was in 1928. William Howard Taft also tried to appeal to White southerners by excluding Blacks from any involvement.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lily-white_movement

Old 02-09-2020, 12:49 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If Blacks are only 12 percent of the population, why are there conservatives right here on city-data getting obsessive in regards to who Blacks vote for?

If you think a 3rd party won't work, then what will? I have no reason to put my vote to Trump or much of the GOP at this point.
Because the margins of winning are usually much smaller than 12%.

If Blacks alone form a major third party, then the 2 party system effectively becomes a guaranteed indefinite 1 party rule (by the GOP).

Old 02-09-2020, 03:31 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Most black people just cannot relate to the typical white conservative despite their shared "culturally conservative" values. This slowly changes as more black people move into higher income brackets and have shared economic interests with white conservatives.

But the typical black working class guy who lives in an all black neighborhood doesn't really feel like he has all that much in common with the upper middle class suburban white person regardless of political party.
Whta about white blue collar conservatives? That is a more apt comparison.

Old 02-09-2020, 03:39 PM

23,989 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Quote:
What I find picular about the African American is that they are culturally conservative, but still vote Democrat. Many African Americans are just as conservative as white Americans who vote Republican. During the 2020 national election. I expect about 1/4 - 1/3 African American American to vote for Trump at most. While the remainder of black men and 99 percent of African American women will vote Dem.
IIRC, Trump got around 19-20% of the black vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies