Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2020, 08:53 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
We're not a big enough voting bloc--and we're certainly not a consistently reliable enough voting bloc--to make a difference. We've been force to acknowledge that on more than one vote.

But more importantly, Republicans on every level of government, from dog catcher on up, work constantly to deny black people the vote. They gerrymander and pass restrictive voting laws at the state level. They close polling places in black neighborhoods at the local level. The Republican dog catcher is probably wondering if releasing all the dogs in black areas on election day will keep us in the house.

Black voters in Georgia discovered the hard way that it was a mistake not to pay attention to who was being elected Secretary of State.

Not voting--and specifically, failing to vote against every Republican running for anything--is the biggest mistake black people can make.
Voting while not caring about policy, defending rights, or the truth is the biggest mistake that all voters make.

And you have no proof repubs are denying blacks the ability to vote. Quit looking down on blacks like the typical democrat does. As if blacks can't afford free or minimal cost IDs or do't know how to register to vote. Absolutely a disgusting example of the typical racism we see from the left. Treating blacks like kept children is destructive.

Being a democrat is like being a 3rd grader on a school field trip. Come with me children and do what I tell you to do. Not that the repubs are much better but there is not nearly the racism that we see from the bigoted left.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 02-10-2020 at 09:09 AM..

Old 02-10-2020, 08:58 AM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well at this point, the Democratic Party is about as helpful for Black Americans as the Republican Party. The GOP has done nothing for Blacks lately. The Democratic Party has grown less and less helpful for Black Americans. And then we have some conservatives complaining about Blacks support the Democrats and not the GOP. I think Black Americans need to come up with something, if nothing else, to help ourselves.

There is a difference between "benign neglect" and outright political hostility.

Republicans in office act explicitly against black people and black interests. They gerrymander voting districts to weaken the power of black votes, they negatively zone black neighborhoods, they starve black neighborhoods of city resources, they create and sustain harmful municipal policies against black neighborhoods.

The fact is that nobody is going to do anything specifically for black people. There is almost no political benefit to an ADOS plank in any politician's platform because we are both too small and too unreliable. By "unreliable" I mean that although we usually vote Democrat, we also usually don't vote.

By "usually don't vote," I'm including all local elections, off-year elections--all those elections where a party creates the policies that really effect how we live day-to-day and create the strength for party activities in the elections we do happen to care about.

We have to start voting like old white people: We have to start voting every time, every single time.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:59 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
LOL Typical post from a lefty, looking for handouts from the President. I need the President to run my life?? Why??? All the President needs to do is his job. And that doesn't include running your life.

btw It's not about you. It never is and your silly one data point examples are just that, silly. I guess they didn't teach you how to solve problems and to look for the truth at your HBCU.
LOL. Here is the thing. The people with the greater voter participation rates are the people who believe the most that these elected people make a difference in their lives. If people really believed that it does not matter....and that the fate truly rested in the hands of the individual, then they would really not care who is in office. You can argue that you vote because its your civic duty, but the truth is that you vote because you believe that elected officials can radically impact your lives.

Stop that BS'in. You best stick to single mothers and your favorite "you made that up". Those are your only two tools....and those are rusted.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:00 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
What's everyone saying here about blacks not voting for Buttigieg because he's gay? Is the claim that blacks are more prejudiced against gays than whites are? If so, that's odd. You would think that a people who have seen or experienced the consequences of prejudice would be less likely to be prejudiced against others.
There is a big view in black America that white gay men are racist. Buttigieg does have a history of saying some racist things (he said in the past that black people don't value education - that is a racist view in the view of many black people, including myself).

Someone else mentioned in the thread that there have been issues between black and other POC LGBTQ persons and white LGBTQ persons. This is definitely true. Many of you, like the person below, are not able to understand the fact that racism trumps sexuality just like it trumps politics. Personally I would vote for Buttigieg if he becomes the nominee, but I'm not going to vote for him in the primary. I also have an issue with Bloomberg due to stop and frisk. I don't have an issue with Biden or Warren or Yang or Klobuchar. I'm sure that they have some racist views (especially Biden) but I can stomach them more than the above two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
My friends and I were recently discussing exactly that.....and the consensus is it certainly lessens the empathy we have had towards the black community and their struggles.
We don't need your empathy since you probably are how I described above - willing to use racial tactics in your discrimination both within and outside of the LGBTQ community. Black Americans are much more religiously conservative in general than white Americans, which would make you think that black people don't support Buttigieg for this reason. However, you fail to understand the fact that race is a political issue for a majority of black Americans and that that political reason is a primary factor in who we vote for.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:02 AM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Most black people just cannot relate to the typical white conservative despite their shared "culturally conservative" values. This slowly changes as more black people move into higher income brackets and have shared economic interests with white conservatives.

Not necessarily. If that higher-income black starts attending a white conservative church, he'll begin to realize fairly quickly that he's not a part of that demographic, despite a few shared social and economic interests.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:03 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,475,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I am trying to get you to see that belief in the nation state is not morally different from belief in the racial state. It's the same tribalism....just on a larger scale, where the demarcation is borders....and not color.
No. Borders can contain one race or contain all races, or anywhere in between.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:05 AM

I'll further note that if more black people became actively involved in the GOP - because of the fact of what I stated above - race is a political issue for us - we would make an agenda in that party that is specific to aspects of race and a large amount of white conservatives would either be openly hostile towards us or they would leave the party and go back to being Democrats lol.

I've personally seen this. I noted, I am technically a registered republican. People come to my house (because I live in Ohio and we have a lot of folks trying to get us to vote one way or another) from the GOP and think I support Trump and think that I have the same views on race that they do and they end up looking shocked at me and leaving my house or wanting to argue with me about white supremacy lol. White supremacy ideology exists IMO. Racism exists IMO and is a huge part of American culture, and this is especially the case of racism against black people. Democrats don't have an issue with me saying/believing these things, not even when I criticize them and their party along the same lines (as a lot of liberal Democrats are racist IMO). The GOP cannot handle these sorts of debates/conversations and so if people like me joined the party, I doubt most of you wanting us to become Republicans would stay Republicans lol.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
LOL Typical post from a lefty, looking for handouts from the President. I need the President to run my life?? Why??? All the President needs to do is his job. And that doesn't include running your life.

btw It's not about you. It never is and your silly one data point examples are just that, silly. I guess they didn't teach you how to solve problems and to look for the truth at your HBCU.
LOL wasn't reponding to you and the article was very centered on Trump and his record on HBCUs.

Again, when you post all I see is blahblahblah - I am right - you are wrong - blahblahblah.

You should read and bring some insight into a conversation instead of mimicking internet trolls in your posts as I cannot take your seriously since you come off like a "bot."

Old 02-10-2020, 09:09 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
No. Borders can contain one race or contain all races, or anywhere in between.
What is your point. Borders can and do contain all sorts of inequalities and inequities between races....which creates racial identity politics to resolve those inequities. Shifting focus to the nation state membership is done to take focus off/ignore racial inequities.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:15 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
LOL. Here is the thing. The people with the greater voter participation rates are the people who believe the most that these elected people make a difference in their lives.
People vote for the lessor of 2 evils often. Belief and results are 2 different things. The mundanes don't think, they do as they are told. Some actually believe the war on poverty worked. People don't care about the truth as long as they get their handouts.

Quote:
If people really believed that it does not matter....and that the fate truly rested in the hands of the individual, then they would really not care who is in office. You can argue that you vote because its your civic duty, but the truth is that you vote because you believe that elected officials can radically impact your lives.
Only the ones who stay out of trying to run my life. That's the difference between you and me. I'm fighting for my rights and to live my life unencumbered. You're looking for handouts and don't care about the theft involved if you profit.

Quote:
Stop that BS'in.
The only BSing is from your juvenile posts. My posts contain facts and they are not based on one silly data point which screams "Hey everyone, look at me, this is about me!!!"

Quote:
You best stick to single mothers and your favorite "you made that up". Those are your only two tools....and those are rusted.
People who don't care about the truth, who don't care about the facts, while playing the victim card will never ever get it.

Unless one accepts the truth that children from single parent families are much worse off than those raised in a 2 parent family then one will never get it. If one is going to deny the FACT that children raised in single parent families are less educated, make less money, and commit a much, much higher rate of crime because they haven't been trained for life well then no one should ever listen to them.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 02-10-2020 at 09:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies