Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 10:09 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Well, its pretty obvious what Duterete is betting all his chips on. He just sees a return to the glory days in Olongapo and Manila. It will just be Chinese sailors soldiers and airmen throwing their pay down in the bars and brothels.

Magasai sai will bloom again. And since the Chinese ate "fellow Asians" it will be better than ever it was with Americans. Hes got to know that the test of the Asian population in the world doesn't see Filipinos as even close to equals.

Particularly the Japanese and Chinese. A heavy Chinese military presence in the PI wouldn't be much different than the Japanese occupation was. They will expect subservience and obedience from Filipinos. Nothing less will do.

It wont be the economic Godsend Duterete believes it will be. Truly, the Chinese are indeed "fellow" Asians. Drop the fellow and insert "superior".

Folks who believe that Americans are horrible racists should spend a few years in Asia. Eastern Asia , what used to be called the Orient. Japan and China in particular.

They make Hitlers "master race" concept look like a Rainbow Coalition convention. And a people having the same color skin and physical features makes no difference. Asians are THE worst racists extant.

If I have offended American Asians by saying that I apologize....but American Asians think like Americans. The test of the "Orient" does not. And I lived there for 4 almost 5 years. Primarily the PI and Japan.

Duterte will get a ride awakening if the Chinese settle in the PI. It wont do for a second d to think the Chinese dont have the same Imperialist goals in the region the Japanese did. Their Navy is growing fast.

If we didnt learn from fighting the Japanese in the South Pacific we are in trouble. That is a Naval power first region. Aircraft carriers decide who reigns supreme. And ports for those carriers are quite important.

Then occupation of island air bases and the ability to defend those bases comes in. All this of course depends on a conflict not going nuclear. That is of course a game changer.

At any rate Duterte isnt hurting us so much as his own country at this juncture. The Chinese won't be the big brother he thinks they will be.
China and the Philippines are Asian nations, and they should be far more naturally aligned than either of them would be aligned with us. It’s their region...the Chinese have every right to demand hegemony over it.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:10 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,995,194 times
Default Finland-ization

Perhaps Duterte hopes to achieve a status similar to that of Finland during the Cold War?

Perhaps he views this as the least bad option?

Old 02-12-2020, 10:31 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
China and the Philippines are Asian nations, and they should be far more naturally aligned than either of them would be aligned with us. It’s their region...the Chinese have every right to demand hegemony over it.
Do they now? You ever spend any time worth claiming in the region? Do you have a clue as to how badly the Filipinos and Japanese hate each other?

And you would grant the Chinese "hegemony" out of hand? Based on what,? Exactly? "Asian" heritage? LOL. Yer a funny guy.

"Naturally aligned," you say? How so..exactly? Oh my, you are truly clueless. Uh huh. Naturally aligned the same way the Japanese were/are. But Filipinos do not share the same fatalistic outlook the Japanese and Chinese do.

And this combined with a lot of other things makes them much less to both the latter. Yet you say the Chinese have a " right" to DEMAND hegemony? The Filipinos I knew so well in my time there would disagree.

And then there are other people in the PI who would disagree as well. Such as the Negrito and Mangyan. And other indigenous folks. Who hate the Filipinos and have no issue with hating the Chinese either.

Should they just acquiesce to Chineze hegemony as well? According to you they should. You know not what you speak of.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:04 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
A giant sucking sound as US dollars leave a poor country
That happened in 1992. A few special forces rotating through isn't even making an impact on the legacy sex industries of Angeles City.

Old 02-12-2020, 12:12 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
If I have offended American Asians by saying that I apologize....but American Asians think like Americans. The test of the "Orient" does not. And I lived there for 4 almost 5 years. Primarily the PI and Japan.
Hear, hear. As an Asian American, I'm really tired of others making us out to be "perpetual foreigners".

Old 02-12-2020, 12:55 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Do they now? You ever spend any time worth claiming in the region? Do you have a clue as to how badly the Filipinos and Japanese hate each other?

And you would grant the Chinese "hegemony" out of hand? Based on what,? Exactly? "Asian" heritage? LOL. Yer a funny guy.

"Naturally aligned," you say? How so..exactly? Oh my, you are truly clueless. Uh huh. Naturally aligned the same way the Japanese were/are. But Filipinos do not share the same fatalistic outlook the Japanese and Chinese do.

And this combined with a lot of other things makes them much less to both the latter. Yet you say the Chinese have a " right" to DEMAND hegemony? The Filipinos I knew so well in my time there would disagree.

And then there are other people in the PI who would disagree as well. Such as the Negrito and Mangyan. And other indigenous folks. Who hate the Filipinos and have no issue with hating the Chinese either.

Should they just acquiesce to Chineze hegemony as well? According to you they should. You know not what you speak of.
It ain’t our business. Butt out. The Asians can handle their own disputes. Worry about OUR OWN problems in THIS hemisphere.

And you’re not gonna “give” China anything. They’re gonna take hegemony over the region, and you can’t do anything about it. Get used to the idea.

Old 02-12-2020, 01:14 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,995,194 times
I see two possible futures for the Philippines:

1. Become a vassal of China.

2. Become a client state of the Japanese.

Old 02-12-2020, 01:27 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The current administration diverted $3.6 billion that was be spent on 127 military construction projects last year, including those overseas, and it's recently been reported that a further $7.2 Billion is also now to be diverted., with $3.7 billion from one fund for military construction and $3.5 billion from another for counter-narcotic programs.

Trump to divert $7.2 billion from military for border wall: Reports - CNBC (Jan 2020)

Border Wall: Pentagon Canceling $3.6 Billion In Military Projects To Border Wal - NPR (Sep 2019)
Good. Illegal immigration is a bigger threat, and illegal immigrants kill more American citizens than any "enemy" nation in the world. Bring our people home that are being used to protect others and use them to secure our borders and protect Americans. Don't sacrifice them trying to stop Middle Eastern Muslims from killing each other-it's not worth the sacrifice.

Old 02-12-2020, 02:12 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Perhaps Duterte hopes to achieve a status similar to that of Finland during the Cold War?

Perhaps he views this as the least bad option?
China is not the problem that visiting US forces cause. It is the communist New People's Army and other allied militias one one hand and Islamic groups like Moro Islamic Liberation Front, Abu Sayyaf and other faith based rebels who point to those US soldiers in their green berets and use that presence as a recruiting tool.

The US presence cost more for internal Filipino politics than additional instruction for combat veteran AFP special forces is worth.

Old 02-12-2020, 05:44 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Well, here's the thing - Trump thinks maybe his cozying up to Duterte would curry more favor - but in the end - the Philippines are going to decide on what's in their best interests from a geopolitical and economic standpoint. They do have to play off the USA and China - and as a member of ASEAN, they can take somewhat of a position in between.

Old saying - friends may come and go but national interests are permanent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies