Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2020, 04:18 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,727,877 times

Advertisements

I find it highly insulting. “POC” denies so many their identity, as if they were nothing more than cattle. I know why jack booted lefty thugs use it. They’re trying to create an “us vs them” mentality. Meanwhile, completely and totally denegrating large groups of people to nothing more than their skin color.

Shouldn’t be surprised since the left has a long history of using and disrespecting anyone who has more melanin in their skin. They did it during slavery that they try to pretend they had no part of, they’re doing it to Hispanics now. Can’t get away with slavery so they pay them crap wages for labor intensive work and have the audacity to claim its “better” for those people.

The left continues to show the world how very little they think of “brown people” ( their words) and call them “people of color” as if that’s all they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 04:27 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,009,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Regardless, blacks were enslaved for over half of the 19th century. IMO, it was better to be completely denied than to be held against your will, beaten, raped etc.
I don't disagree. There were two different historical trajectories. But the point stemmed from the claim of 'Tritone' that only blacks were subject to racial discrimination:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/57330721-post64.html

Quote:
Exactly right. And that is my point. By using the term 'people of color' we are bringing back that concept. It's 'white' and 'everyone else.'
This is a misconception. Traditionally in the United States there was a strict black-white dichotomy. People of African descent were colored, and everybody else was white.

People often wonder why American history is only about whites and blacks - this is why. Everybody else was considered white - and they were saying that they were white. They didn't reinvent themselves as "people of color" until after the civil rights movement was over.

Old 02-13-2020, 04:32 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,009,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I find it highly insulting. “POC” denies so many their identity, as if they were nothing more than cattle. I know why jack booted lefty thugs use it. They’re trying to create an “us vs them” mentality. Meanwhile, completely and totally denegrating large groups of people to nothing more than their skin color.

Shouldn’t be surprised since the left has a long history of using and disrespecting anyone who has more melanin in their skin. They did it during slavery that they try to pretend they had no part of, they’re doing it to Hispanics now. Can’t get away with slavery so they pay them crap wages for labor intensive work and have the audacity to claim its “better” for those people.

The left continues to show the world how very little they think of “brown people” ( their words) and call them “people of color” as if that’s all they are.
Excellent point. We increasingly hear the term "brown people" used, primarily by those on the far left. First of all, what does it even mean? Secondly, to me it is very grating; it sounds condescending and denigrating, at least to my ears.

Funny thing, I used to known a girl of Italian lineage who liked to get a nice tan in the summer. She would have her black girlfriend hold their arms up next to each other. My Italian friend would always be darker.

Old 02-13-2020, 04:45 PM

12,385 posts, read 8,144,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Excellent point. We increasingly hear the term "brown people" used, primarily by those on the far left. First of all, what does it even mean? Secondly, to me it is very grating; it sounds condescending and denigrating, at least to my ears.

Funny thing, I used to known a girl of Italian lineage who liked to get a nice tan in the summer. She would have her black girlfriend hold their arms up next to each other. My Italian friend would always be darker.
When PBS aired Country Music the entire debate about Johnny Cash's first wife got reignited

Old 02-13-2020, 06:36 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,187,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
FINALLY! I knew black people could not like this POC garbage.

Well said!
I don’t mind the POC term, but it has NOTHING to do with African Americans. That doesn’t refer to us.

So we have no dog in this fight. If whites don’t like the term, we black folks are not the people to talk to about it. We ain’t in it, and I don’t want white folks putting us in the argument.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:40 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,187,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I speak my mind. I’ll say something like that black guy or brown girl or that Asian person or that indian. That’s it. I don’t care if someone doesn’t like it.
So. No one cares about that. That’s not offensive.

As long as you don’t start with that “colored” or n word nonsense, there won’t be any drama.

What you say to the other races is between you and them.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:44 PM

2,923 posts, read 977,504 times
There is nothing wrong with colored. It's just an old school term.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:46 PM

2,923 posts, read 977,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don’t mind the POC term, but it has NOTHING to do with African Americans. That doesn’t refer to us.

So we have no dog in this fight. If whites don’t like the term, we black folks are not the people to talk to about it. We ain’t in it, and I don’t want white folks putting us in the argument.
I would guess most would say it does refer to black p so kot sure what you are talking about

Old 02-13-2020, 06:53 PM

23,541 posts, read 17,216,356 times
Like the euro head of statistics, created the BLT, biostat leadership team.... oops, that stands for bacon lettuce and tomato.. what are the odds?

someone somewhere on the left will figure some new way to create a political/cultural division Unity is a bad word in their world.

to truly be woke, people shall now be classified by number. Take the nomenclature used to distinguish lead pencils... you are a No1, 2, 3 or 4 depending on the darkness of the marks left by that writing instrument. the numbers corresponding to the graduated darkness of skin.

If it makes you sleep better, a No1 pencil or person could be the darkest skin color. Heaven forbid, if a No1 represented the lightest person, the left would be outraged and claim racism because they feel it puts the other colors down. the No 1 classification cannot represent the lightest color skin.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:55 PM

12,036 posts, read 6,565,777 times
I’m white and I use “Blacks.”
I never liked using African American because it made a whole race of Americans sound foreign or not quite “real” Americans. And many blacks have ancestors from Haiti, or Caribbean islands.
All humans evolved and go back to African ancestors, so it doesn’t work or make sense for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies