Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 02:05 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Only because SOME women decided they wanted to be part of the work force. Now you have men displaced by women because of gender. Manufacturers decide to raise prices because many households had 2 people earning incomes and those of us who were just fine being a parent and raising our children were forced to work to keep up.

Children were left alone with no one to guide them, parents started buying them whatever they wanted because they felt guilty and we have the milleniums who think everything is free and you don't have to work for it.

I stayed home as long as I could. We lived paycheck to paycheck but I was involved with the kids and their schooling and raising them with values. Because we had little money - they valued what small gifts they received and learned to work for what we couldn't provide.

Has nothing to do with Republicans - women in general started us down this path.
Do you actually believe what you say.
Do you believe all women were married to good men who treated them well, as equals and stayed with them forever and only some uppity women wanted to work. Do you realize women have always worked?

This bit about displacement and raising prices is just ridiculous. Do you remember when there were women's jobs and men's jobs. How about when women were actually paid much less than men. And try brushing up on your economics.

Children are not left alone with guidance. They were in the care of family and later daycare. There was plenty of time, love and guidance after work/school hours.

Yes times have changed and this new generation they just xyz.........says every preceding generation since time immortal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 02:15 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
LOL at "Rewarding careers". Being a mother is a rewarding career.

So is being a father, and yet it seems that only women get flack for working outside of the home.

My mother had a rewarding career as a stay at home mom. In order to support a wife and 2 kids, my father worked long hours and spent much of his professional career traveling during the week and only being a parent on the weekends, as was common among my peers in a middle class suburb near Atlanta. Then, my dad lost his job in the early 2000s and, due largely to mental health and physical health issues, was never able to work again. He was only in his 40s, and suddenly my mom had to go back to work. Because she spent most of her adult life caring for her children, even with a master's degree the only job she was qualified for was low-paying childcare work. My brother and I were in middle school at this time and lived in a lot of fear about money. From that point on, we were no longer able to afford a lot of the basics - like mental healthcare or supplies for school - much less any extras. It was and continues to be a big source of stress, perhaps more so as adults with parents who have nothing saved for retirement and mounting health issues.

Flashback another generation. My grandmother was married to my grandfather for 20 years. Her father left her husband the family business while my grandmother busied herself with charity work befitting the wife of one of the town's business leaders, raising children, and caring for elderly relatives on both sides of the family. When the kids were in high school, her husband left her for the secretary. He raked her across the coals financially, leaving her reliant upon food stamps and welfare despite her ex husband being worth millions (even in the 70s!). She had no job skills and eventually was able to work her charity connections to get a part time job at the public school, but that basically only paid for the taxes on the house she got out of the divorce. Because of the way that the inheritance worked (through the business), she didn't see any of her inheritance from her father because it all went to her husband.

You could say I don't have a lot of faith that relying on a spouse for my income and my financial future is in either my or my children's best interests.

Old 02-17-2020, 02:54 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
LOL at "Rewarding careers". Being a mother is a rewarding career.
Motherhood is rewarding whether one works or not. It’s not like women who work get no joy from raising their kids as well.

Old 02-17-2020, 03:51 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,362,273 times
That is the result of massive inflation and debasement of the dollar.

Encouraged by our debt-based economic system. So wonderful it is /sarc

Old 02-17-2020, 04:44 PM

57,296 posts, read 26,217,746 times
People wanted more and saw that they could accumulate more wealth and material things, since the 60's people started delegating child raising. I don't think it was for the best. I always felt that one parent should remain at home regardless of gender. Quality of life shouldn't just be measured by material things. Big change after the 1960's with fashion, homes, vacations which is where we are today.

Old 02-17-2020, 05:06 PM

1,503 posts, read 607,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
That is the result of massive inflation and debasement of the dollar.

Encouraged by our debt-based economic system. So wonderful it is /sarc
This is a logical result of capitalism. But sheeple still defend it.
Well,

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free" (c) Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Everybody eventually gets what they deserve. Always. Love capitalism? Then get everything that comes with it. Everything.

Old 02-17-2020, 05:20 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
My wife stopped working to be a stay at home mom. We Never regretted that decision. We were able to do it because we always banked as much as possible., financed very little and always lived within our means.

We didn't do the the Disney vacations or even a vacation every year. My first real vacation came when I was 42 years old...... I am lucky. Where our home was in our idea of paradise. We had no need or desire to vacation every year. I used to just stare at people when they told me that they borrowed money to go on vacation.

Home mortgage? There is a rule or used to be that your house should not cost more than 3 times your annual income. Maybe it was my own rule , but I think I read that somewhere. Anyway We saved and bought land. Saved a few more years and bought a house package. Built our own house. Only financed 1/3 of the cost. Did a lot of the work ourselves.

Anything is possible when you have the will.

Old 02-17-2020, 05:28 PM

606 posts, read 354,992 times
As others have pointed out, it’s not always about wanting more money. For many women, it’s about protecting themselves and their children from disaster.

My husband and I both work full-time. I don’t want to be a stay at home parent because I want a safety net in case of disaster. It’s hard to find a well-paying job to support yourself and your child if you are out of the workforce for a number of years. It gives me peace of mind that i have a safety net for me and my child if my husband drops dead from a heart attack, gets into a car wreck that leaves him a paraplegic, or decides he doesn’t want to be married anymore.

Last edited by nap1313; 02-17-2020 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-17-2020, 05:33 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
the 70's was the transitional decade in the u.s.

before 1970 70 % of woman did not work outside of the home...after 1970... 70% did....and girls/women were more expected to go to college...be independent.

and women did become independent that's why divorces skyrocketed......women could stand on their own two feet financially not dependent on the man ..
I think many women suffered in silence being abused ..before this decade because they had little options … (financially)

culturally things changed too …...pre-processed frozen foods (meals) exploded...the microwave was the most popular kitchen appliance.....if "she" is working all day "she" isn't going to be cooking for hours at night.
also because of two incomes..more and more monies went to buy … take out....went to restaurants...….went to fast foods..

was women "forced" to start working because of more taxes?? and prices higher??

I tend to believe the '70's was the fight for equality decade for women.....and in high school....they wanted to go to college or beauty school....or office jobs at the state.... this gave them independence....steer their own ship...in life..

I remember an old aunt telling my teenage sister she better not gain much weight because she "needs to find a good man"
you don't hear this anymore... lol

Old 02-17-2020, 05:37 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Many women on welfare HAD husbands.
Yes they are staying home because they stayed home thus have no skills, no experience and cant support their 2 or 3 kids on 8$/hour.

My husband died when our kids were 6 and 2. If I would not have had work experience and gone back to school for my B.S, I would very well have been on welfare because I would not have been able to fully support my kids and myself with what I could earn. Insurance money only goes so far and most people are under insured.
So better planning by having insurance to cover the family would have been a better result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies