Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 03:02 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,861,647 times

Advertisements

Glad that Wyoming state troopers profile California plates.

Maybe California criminals will think twice now before driving into Wyoming, because they aren't afraid to profile out of state plates.

He should have known better than to be traveling with his California plates in the middle of winter in Wyoming.

Interesting, I wonder if he traveled through Colorado and they could have cared. Interesting that he was taken into custody by multiple officers near the Colorado border in Cheyenne, Wyoming.

It is well known in Colorado for instance that Wyoming and Nebraska state troopers profile Colorado plates in many cases to keep the bad Democratic Colorado influences out of wholesome Republican Nebraska and Wyoming.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020...ders-arrested/

https://buckrail.com/wyoming-trooper...-in-3-murders/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2020, 03:24 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,112,436 times
I think the fact that this is the least populated state (less than 600k people) makes it more feasible to even do things like random license plate checks. I would be very surprised if they didn't do it for all 49 other states.

Old 02-29-2020, 02:21 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,578,805 times
I'm not glad that any trooper would do this. Having an out of state license plate is not enough of a reason to pull someone over. Anyone who feels otherwise is someone who feels alright with civil liberties being violated. Anyone who feels violating civil liberties is the best way to curb crime would feel more comfortable in a place like China or North Korea. Having an out of state license plate is not enough of a reason. It is not probable cause. If that was the case, every other car in the Atlanta metro area would get pulled over.

Old 02-29-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
I think the fact that this is the least populated state (less than 600k people) makes it more feasible to even do things like random license plate checks. I would be very surprised if they didn't do it for all 49 other states.
This is my opinion. I think the OP would love to see a situation where a right wing fascist government was in charge. Pulling someone over for having an out of state license plate is a stupid reason for pulling someone over. I can think of the Constitutional rights that have been violated.

1) Freedom of movement
2) Unreasonable search and seizure.

The fact that a criminal was caught does not make me feel any better. Having out of state plates isn't illegal. Traveling to another state is not illegal. Neither of those actions are suspicious. People travel by car throughout the USA all the time. Wyoming too. There is nothing suspicious about driving to or through another state. Now, if someone wants a system where you need a passport to travel to locations WITHIN the USA, said person would also feel comfortable with a dictatorship. South Africa during Apartheid did that.

Old 02-29-2020, 02:29 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

Maybe California criminals will think twice now before driving into Wyoming, because they aren't afraid to profile out of state plates.

He should have known better than to be traveling with his California plates in the middle of winter in Wyoming.

Interesting, I wonder if he traveled through Colorado and they could have cared. Interesting that he was taken into custody by multiple officers near the Colorado border in Cheyenne, Wyoming.

It is well known in Colorado for instance that Wyoming and Nebraska state troopers profile Colorado plates in many cases to keep the bad Democratic Colorado influences out of wholesome Republican Nebraska and Wyoming.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020...ders-arrested/

https://buckrail.com/wyoming-trooper...-in-3-murders/
Did you read your links?

The Riverside Cty Sheriff asked Wyoming to be on the lookout for the suspect’s car, presumably because they had reason to believe he was headed towards or in Wyoming.

There was no profiling.

Old 02-29-2020, 02:31 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is my opinion. I think the OP would love to see a situation where a right wing fascist government was in charge. Pulling someone over for having an out of state license plate is a stupid reason for pulling someone over. I can think of the Constitutional rights that have been violated.

1) Freedom of movement
2) Unreasonable search and seizure.

The fact that a criminal was caught does not make me feel any better. Having out of state plates isn't illegal. Traveling to another state is not illegal. Neither of those actions are suspicious. People travel by car throughout the USA all the time. Wyoming too. There is nothing suspicious about driving to or through another state. Now, if someone wants a system where you need a passport to travel to locations WITHIN the USA, said person would also feel comfortable with a dictatorship. South Africa during Apartheid did that.
OP is mistaken. There was no profiling. Riverside Cty, Ca. LE asked Wyoming to be on the lookout for the car.

Old 02-29-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Did you read your links?

The Riverside Cty Sheriff asked Wyoming to be on the lookout for the suspect’s car, presumably because they had reason to believe he was headed towards or in Wyoming.

There was no profiling.
If this was the case, then fine. Wyoming police were on the lookout for a specific car. Just the same, it angers me that there are individuals who want to see practices like pulling someone over for simply having different state plates or for simply traveling from a different state. I feel like said OP wants a quasi-dictatorship.

I'll admit, I had a knee-jerk reaction and didn't read the links either. One thing I do see is that the OP has an agenda: "We should do more profiling".

Part of me thinks of this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...an-cities.html

Old 02-29-2020, 02:35 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,356,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Lick those cop boots, Team Red.

Old 02-29-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
OP is mistaken. There was no profiling. Riverside Cty, Ca. LE asked Wyoming to be on the lookout for the car.
I just found this out from another post of yours. I can count on you to be a voice of reason. The OP had an agenda to push. The agenda is "we should have more profiling",etc.

Old 02-29-2020, 02:36 PM

18,432 posts, read 8,266,769 times
Quote:
Did you read your links?

There was no profiling.
...WYOMING – Wyoming Highway Patrol got lucky yesterday when a random check of a license plate turned up a suspected killer.

A Highway Patrol trooper on routine patrol Thursday ran a registration check on a vehicle. The registration returned showing the vehicle was connected to a multiple-murder case in Riverside, California.

The trooper called for backup before he made a move. Once support units arrived to assist, thee trooper conducted a traffic stop east of Cheyenne around the Burns exit on Interstate 80. The driver was taken into custody without incident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies