Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2020, 09:44 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times

Advertisements

Suppressing medical/science experts from communicating necessary information to the public because it contradicts the leader's desired message is something I would expect from China or other authoritarian regimes.

Old 02-28-2020, 09:44 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times
Some are saying the coronavirus is a Chinese engineered bio-weapon. Do you agree or not? I have a poll here.

Old 02-28-2020, 09:45 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
question - what could/should Trump do to both stop and cure coronavirus? Since it clearly falls on him and him alone to deal with a infection that started in Wuhan, China, I want to know what it is that he could/should do to stop this disease worldwide, right now, this minute.

What speech can he give? What money can he spend, how much, where? What power can he invoke?

I mean, I have a water drinking app on phone that has given me a 3 page summary of the virus, how to protect myself, ways I can be more resistant to it, etc. And that was free, and didn't require Trump doing anything, but apparently, that isn't enough, since clearly only the President of the United States can inform people all around the world of what to do next, and only the United States and its one single leader can possibly stop this disease in its tracks before a global pandemic kills us all.

That obvious fact makes me curious as to what he could/should be doing that will indeed stop this disease.

You'll have to forgive me for

anyone?
I don't think Trump has the power to raise or lower the price of gasoline, I certainly don't think he can do anything to stop the virus.

But I have to say that his varying reactions over the past few days give me no assurance that he has ever devoted a single second to thinking about pandemics, viruses, or public health. And I note that his proposed budget includes cuts to CDC, when just about every epidemiologist has been saying for years that the US is ill-prepared for the inevitable.

And appointing Pence to oversee US response? Oh come on. Just more of the same - I don't like what the experts tell me, so I'm going to rely on personal loyalty instead.

The obvious fact is that he has no clue, doesn't want a clue, and just wishes it would automagically go away.

I remain singularly unimpressed.

Old 02-28-2020, 09:46 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
But if people cause climate change... Will less people + less climate change?
Absolutely. And less people will make all the resources we have that are severely strained, like fresh water, more readily available. All people have to do is exercise family planning and birth control to get to zero population growth. It's unnecessarily destructive that a virus ends up saving humanity from itself. We have these big fat brains that are capable of seeing the damage that overpopulation does yet we don't use them to put two and two together and use some self control.

Old 02-28-2020, 09:46 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,587,882 times
Trump is a total potato. Putting American lives at risk to preserve his political messaging? He cannot be turfed out of office fast enough.

Old 02-28-2020, 09:48 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I don't think Trump has the power to raise or lower the price of gasoline, I certainly don't think he can do anything to stop the virus.

But I have to say that his varying reactions over the past few days give me no assurance that he has ever devoted a single second to thinking about pandemics, viruses, or public health. And I note that his budget includes cuts to CDC, when just about every epidemiologist has been saying for years that the US is ill-prepared for the inevitable.

And appointing Pence to oversee US response? Oh come on. Just more of the same - I don't like what the experts tell me, so I'm going to rely on personal loyalty instead.

The obvious fact is that he has no clue, doesn't want a clue, and just wishes it would automatically go away.
Given your response and HeyJude's, it seems like the President saying something instills confidence and belief, and that confidence and belief can prevent the virus?

The budget to the CDC didn't get cut, and the parts of the budget that deal with domestic and international infection outbreaks got increased. So the argument being made seems to come down to consistent, confidence-inspiring messaging is the cure?

Old 02-28-2020, 09:48 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Cuts to the CDC needs more info. There can be cuts, but the cuts to areas that have zero to do with this. The CDC also spends a lot on what I consider BS. If it is just a straight cut to the agency, then it is the agency that determines where to place the money. If they rather ensure a half million dollars in grants is available to study the impact of the color blue in NW Chicago, well, that is a CDC issue.

Old 02-28-2020, 09:49 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Cuts to the CDC needs more info. There can be cuts, but the cuts to areas that have zero to do with this. The CDC also spends a lot on what I consider BS. If it is just a straight cut to the agency, then it is the agency that determines where to place the money. If they rather ensure a half million dollars in grants is available to study the impact of the color blue in NW Chicago, well, that is a CDC issue.
Such as?

7,826 posts, read 2,729,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If there were weekly press conferences, then the Democrats would complain that Trump is creating a panic over something that is largely under control in the United States.

Basically, the Democrats are trying to imply that Trump is to blame for the worldwide spread of this virus even though the United States has nothing to do with it.
I have never heard such whining on such a scale since Trump has become president. Grow up. Pandemics happen...this is nothing new to human history.

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Trump has called for dems And pubs Not to politicize the issue. Please stop.
Trump got the number of US coronavirus patients wrong in a tweet about how he's on top of the outbreak.--Business Insider

Trump is lying to protect his re-election chances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies