Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2020, 11:00 AM

43,111 posts, read 18,281,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
anecdotal observation.

I just got back from my usual twice a month grocery shopping trip. some of the shelves were wiped out! I walked by one woman who filled her entire cart, taking the entire shelf, of alcohol hand wipes. I didn't want to buy any, but noticed there were two other shoppers who looked angrily at her for hoarding.

the grocery store worker stocking the produce told me the grocery store had a bigger sales day yesterday than the day before thanksgiving last year! I bought my usual list of goods, nothing more, although the store was out of a few things I usually buy.

the media's scare tactics about this coronavirus must be working on some people. i'm not scared. people are not acting rationally.
You're in Austin. Folks are scared because of the case in San Antonio and that the CDC wants to release the rest of the folks in quarantine down there.

And you have South by Southwest starting.

Old 03-03-2020, 11:00 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,945,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
None of the people in my family wants to wear a mask, I am the only one.
Likely because they're smarter than you. Masks don't prevent you from getting the corona virus, so you're wasting your time and money.

Old 03-03-2020, 11:01 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronav...ul-wash-hands/

https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...w-to-use-masks

How many people are going to actually wear and put the mask on properly?
One thing they do is keep you from touching your nose and mouth which, according to the experts, is the main method of transmission. That leaves just the eyes. You can put safety glasses or sunglasses on to help with that. Gotta take em off properly too.

Old 03-03-2020, 11:01 AM

43,111 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I've got masks. I bought them during the bird flu scare and never used them except for painting etc and I have plenty left. I'm pretty sure I will be using them this time. I also have a couple full face respirators N100 that I got for cleaning my cabin in the hantavirus outbreak. I've even got a hazmat suit. I'm ready.
Put that baby on and no one will come near you. If anything they will see you and run the other way.

Old 03-03-2020, 11:02 AM

17,428 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronav...ul-wash-hands/

https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...w-to-use-masks

How many people are going to actually wear and put the mask on properly?
This is so ridiculous.

I have been following this since mid January because I'm a sucker for these kinds of things and I find it fascinating. I also think we (as in globally) are WAY overdue for Mother Nature doing some major housecleaning - but I don't think this is it. Could it? Yes. Could it mutuate and become a bigger killer and start wiping out healthy 20 somethings? Yes. (And if it does, it's bye-bye President Sanders.) Both scenarios are doubtful though.

But people are losing their ever lovin' minds. And the people who are complaining that Trump said that the left is politicizing COVID 19 ... are the very same, left-leaning posters that are in this thread politicizing it.

I can't wait to do a poll when all is said and done and ask "Did you test postive for COVID 19?" And watch the answers be 100% no.

Old 03-03-2020, 11:04 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
One thing they do is keep you from touching your nose and mouth which, according to the experts, is the main method of transmission. That leaves just the eyes. You can put safety glasses or sunglasses on to help with that. Gotta take em off properly too.
But if you don't wear the mask properly, it does not decrease the possibility of getting any virus.

Old 03-03-2020, 11:05 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
Actually, everything I have seen is the exact opposite.

They cause you to touch your face more because you are constantly adjusting the mask or have a false sense of security.

Once you touch your face, just a hop skip and a jump to eyes, nose and mouth when you take the mask off.

Old 03-03-2020, 11:06 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Put that baby on and no one will come near you. If anything they will see you and run the other way.
Or if you are in NYC they will beat the crap out of you and you wont have to worry about the virus.

Some poor lady wearing a mask was attacked there in the last few days.

Old 03-03-2020, 11:06 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,128,220 times
Quote:
Too bad MJ still isn't around. He was sporting this look over ten years ago.

Old 03-03-2020, 11:07 AM

17,428 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Too bad MJ still isn't around. He was sporting this look over ten years ago.
That's because his nose was falling off his face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies