Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2020, 05:12 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,512,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Liberal Denver city council member is encouraging people to go to President Trump's rallies with coronavirus.

Rather than President Trump's positive and unifying messge, liberals like the council member in Denver go negative and partisan.

President Trump's rallies are incredibly positive and uplifting events where our commander and chief focuses on his accomplishments and talks about his plans for his next 4 years as President.

She is shameful with her negativity with those who she disagrees with.

The negative rhetoric out of liberals is truely amazing these days. Rather than joining President Trump to unite the country, she and many liberals are using negative rhetoric.

https://kdvr.com/news/local/if-i-do-...rity-to-tweet/

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...-trump-rallies
The hostility that liberals demonstrate to those who disagree with their choice of president was set at the top. (You know, "a fish rots from the head.") From Hillary calling people who didn't want to vote for her "deplorable" to Schumer threatening Supreme Court justices that they "will pay the price!," liberals continue to go downhill. I shudder to think how violent they will be come Election Night.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:20 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,666,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Or how bad do these underlying conditions have to be for them to be an issue? It seems that almost every 70+ y.o. who has died from coronavirus had an underlying condition. But then again what 70 y.o. has absolutely zero underlying health conditions? Heck, most of my 50+ y.o. friends that have an underlying condition. One has high blood pressure, managed with medication; another has very mild Crohn’s disease, managed with medication; a third has a history of breast cancer, but currently has no evidence of disease; another has recurrent diverticulitis, but has had no attacks for the last three months and finally I have asymptomatic lung cancer (me). They (and me) are all totally functional and going about their daily lives like everyone else. You would never know these people had an underlying condition. If they are counting such things as underlying conditions, I feel like we are all doomed.

Only if you get the virus, hopefully you and your friends never comes in contact with it. And even if you do get it, I don't believe it means you are going to automatically die from it. You might have a much tougher fight on your hand, you can probably survive. Hopefully you will never have to worry about that.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:46 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
And yet, the current fatality rate of covid19 is 3.4%. Spanish flu was estimated to be 2-3%
As pointed out earlier they are two different figures. 10-20% of those who were infected with Spanish Flu (H1N1) died, which amounted to 2-3% of the population. Corona kills 3.4% of those infected. Of course if it gets out of control, then 3.4% will amount to millions.

Surprisingly Mike Pence just mandated private insurance companies carry the cost of testing for it, which will give them a legit reason to hike insurance premiums for everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Ariadne, I think what hawaiicoconut is saying is, even if 100 million were to be infected in the US, presumably within a few months time, that would only mean 4 million dead, using the Italian model, so we should stop making a big deal out of this.
100 million sick, and 4 million dead Americans is not a big deal......

Old 03-05-2020, 05:52 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,715,671 times
I brought this up probably over a week ago when I voiced concern on why nothing was being reported out of Africa, which has strong ties with China in regards to people and investments going back and fourth. There have been cases in some countries.....but does not seem to be evidence of "community spread".

That having been said....I watched a video out of China and was extremely impressed by their response to containing the virus spread. They are a much more advanced nation than I had previously understood. I personally believe that their society is ahead of ours in some aspects. This is also one time that having an authoritarian government is beneficial. They really clamped down by shutting down cities and roads and now the growth rate of the spread has decelerated remarkably, while accelerating every place else. China is a ultra modern society with all the latest modern technologies to help mitigate dangers like this. They even had citizen street patrols.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:08 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times
One would think Cruise Ships were the no-brainer here! Shut down ALL of them coming and going into the USA.

But, no....now we have another ship where thousands may have been exposed.

There is no way to protect 4-5,000 people in close quarters like that. Duh. And I've heard people online say they are going because of "good deals".

This is why we can't have nice things...stupid people and for-profit corporations that don't take basic precautions.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:10 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Or how bad do these underlying conditions have to be for them to be an issue? It seems that almost every 70+ y.o. who has died from coronavirus had an underlying condition. But then again what 70 y.o. has absolutely zero underlying health conditions? Heck, most of my 50+ y.o. friends that have an underlying condition. One has high blood pressure, managed with medication; another has very mild Crohn’s disease, managed with medication; a third has a history of breast cancer, but currently has no evidence of disease; another has recurrent diverticulitis, but has had no attacks for the last three months and finally I have asymptomatic lung cancer (me). They (and me) are all totally functional and going about their daily lives like everyone else. You would never know these people had an underlying condition. If they are counting such things as underlying conditions, I feel like we are all doomed.
You are correct - if you read the post above, pretty much every condition except perhaps bad backs and thyroid and "normal" stuff like that increases the odds against you. That's the reality.

All those "optional" thinks like not losing weight, not changing diet (diabetes), not exercising (higher BP, more stress), etc. are included....let alone the "can't help it" conditions like cancer.

Remember, the same implies with the Health Care that The Don is trying to take away. All these things, even high BP, are "pre-existing conditions" that insurance companies will be able to charge you more for if you are under Medicare Age...and my guess is that they will be able to charge you more for supplements (if not already true) if yo are over.

Better - cheaper health care for all was his promise. It's obvious he was lying....but, then again, anyone listening would have know when the GOP audience shouted out "let em die". They may act as if they care but when no one is looking that is their answer...the dying of others.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:10 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Mike Pence just mandated private insurance companies to carry the cost of testing for the virus, which gives them a legit excuse to hike premiums for everyone.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:11 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,600,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The mortality rate will fluctuate.

Do you think all those old, sick people in the nursing home that have it is indicative of the rest of the US ?
No and that group will skew the mortality rate for the US

China's mortality rate is fluctuating.

The difference between this and flu estimates is that the flu has a history...a basis for making estimates.
Coronavirus has no basis...this is the first instance
Quote:
Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
Well, no. That is not how science works. That is called a wild guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The number of flu cases can be estimated using statistical methods (and some studies where volunteers were deliberately exposed to the virus to see how many get it). We have piles of data on flu, virtally none on the new coronavirus.

The pictures are very interesting, giving what is called a "ground glass" appearance to the lungs.

https://pubs.rsna.org/doi/10.1148/radiol.2020200642
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
This has been discussed up-thread.

The CDC describes in detail how they arrive at their numbers for the flu. They start with the confirmed cases and then apply a correction to that number to get the actual number of cases. The correction factor varies by state. It accounts for number of people who get sick vs. the number of people who go to a doctor and become a confirmed case. They get the correction factor from doing field surveys. In the US for the flu it averages out to 2.5% which means for every confirmed case, there are about 40 others that have the flu every year but never see a doc, or the doc doesn't test it.

The mortality rate of 0.1% that is thrown around here is based on the actual number, not the confirmed number of cases of flu. So you cannot compare the 0.1% to the Covid figure of 2-3% because they were calculated differently. If you calculate the US flu mortality based on confirmed cases it is much higher, almost the same as Covid.

I am starting to think that Covid is not as bad as a lot of people think. More like the flu than SARS or the Spanish flu.
Well, well, well. CDC and science has confirmed my exact mortality rate estimate of 3.4. From science:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sci...it-should-drop

Old 03-05-2020, 06:14 AM

16,093 posts, read 6,863,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I brought this up probably over a week ago when I voiced concern on why nothing was being reported out of Africa, which has strong ties with China in regards to people and investments going back and fourth. There have been cases in some countries.....but does not seem to be evidence of "community spread".

That having been said....I watched a video out of China and was extremely impressed by their response to containing the virus spread. They are a much more advanced nation than I had previously understood. I personally believe that their society is ahead of ours in some aspects. This is also one time that having an authoritarian government is beneficial. They really clamped down by shutting down cities and roads and now the growth rate of the spread has decelerated remarkably, while accelerating every place else. China is a ultra modern society with all the latest modern technologies to help mitigate dangers like this. They even had citizen street patrols.
Opinion: China emulates the United States ice cream sprinkled with Dictatorial toppings....

Old 03-05-2020, 06:14 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,773,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
As pointed out earlier they are two different figures. 10-20% of those who were infected with Spanish Flu (H1N1) died, which amounted to 2-3% of the population. Corona kills 3.4% of those infected.
Not correct. Corona kills 3-4% of the confirmed cases. We don't know what fraction of people who get Corona end up getting tested but the suspicion is that it is a small fraction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies