Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2020, 03:24 PM

43,142 posts, read 18,298,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
In my experience the Flu knocks you down into bed pretty quickly.

I'm told that CV may not do so....and, we KNOW that people can spread it for many days after they feel sick. You are not addressing reality.

Obviously someone who is choking on their own mucus is going to go the hospital and maybe be quarantined. But is someone with a moderate cold? Of course not....and many cases of CV are closer to the later.

Sorry, it's different.
I've had the flu...but I didn't go to the doctor. The flu hits you pretty quick.

This one though....they have recorded 2-28 days before any symptoms show.

Anyone with this virus is a walking "Typhoid Mary". But not all Typhoid Mary's will go to the doctor once they get sick if it turns out to be mild.

Old 03-06-2020, 03:34 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,814,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Hmmm....you perfectly illustrate why people CANNOT use responsibility and individual actions to contain something like this.

First you say it's up to each person.

Then you note how many have zero sense.

It can never be both. The guy in NY that infected a couple dozen is a highly educated lawyer who knew about the virus. Should we think that 320 Million Americans will "act accordingly" and things turn out better?

The answer is simple. NO. Not even close. Many people will lose their jobs if they don't show up at work - maybe their houses or their cars (payments) and they have been going to work sick for 10 years or more. Do we really expect millions of such people to "self-access"?

Whatever happened to this amazing cell phone emergency thing that the Admin set up. If I could make a suggestion, I'd say a nice one page PDF should be created with the basic information about what to do and the link sent to every single American through that and other means.

You and I may be sitting here researching and talking about the best practice - but that means nothing to those who are busy from dawn til dusk trying to make ends meet...and many millions of others.

The first thing to do is get people on the same page. The admin, with Kelly Anne, Kudlow and Trump etc. are doing anything but....
I agree that lots of folks have no sense. I can’t do anything about most of them, but if someone I know decides to turn up at my house sick, I can refuse them entry. If someone goes in for a hug, I can take a big step back. I can ask people to wash their hands when they’re in my house. Social niceties are great, but I’m ok with bypassing them when needed.

And yes, it would be great if we could get everyone on the same page.

Old 03-06-2020, 03:36 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I've had the flu...but I didn't go to the doctor. The flu hits you pretty quick.

This one though....they have recorded 2-28 days before any symptoms show.

Anyone with this virus is a walking "Typhoid Mary". But not all Typhoid Mary's will go to the doctor once they get sick if it turns out to be mild.
Same experience here. I have an unfortunate propensity to get the flu: One minute you are well; the next you just know. Moreover (per a CDC link):

People with flu are most contagious in the first three to four days after their illness begins. Most healthy adults may be able to infect others beginning 1 day before symptoms develop and up to 5 to 7 days after becoming sick

The epidemiology of this virus is different than an influenza. It's a sneaky little b*itch with an apparent longer period of symptomless contagion.

The last flu (after which I started getting flu shots) was 20 years ago. It hit me the minute I walked into a crowded house at Christmas time. Collapsed to the couch and called for a scarf to cover my mouth. Garbed up the entire time, spent a couple of days in bed isolated, ate at a separate tray table when feeling better.

Of that household of three other adults and four teenagers not one other than my then 2yo daughter become ill either during the 4 days we were there or afterwards.

The coronavirus just doesn't appear to work that way. One of the main vectors of spread per China is within families, with folks not realizing they are ill - which is what makes the standard advice of "stay away from sick people" almost impossible to implement. The giving a wide berth of 6 feet doesn't help much here either.

Old 03-06-2020, 03:38 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
Trump could do a lot to repair his image of a shallow and uncaring boob by paying a visit to the nursing home facility or one of the cruise ships affected by the virus

Old 03-06-2020, 03:40 PM

43,142 posts, read 18,298,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Trump could do a lot to repair his image of a shallow and uncaring boob by paying a visit to the nursing home facility or one of the cruise ships affected by the virus
You are joking right ?

The WH has put strict guidelines/screening process in place for who sees the President.
Continuity of government is part of any emergency plan for a nation.

Old 03-06-2020, 03:47 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,013,281 times
Here locally I heard a guy on a talk show saying that he and his wife came back from a cruise both feeling sick. He called the corona hot line and was put only hold for over an hour. When they finally answered, they asked several questions and told him he was not eligible to be tested. They told him to call his doctor and then hung up.

This area is of course ground zero for corona in the US. Kirkland, WA, where most of the US deaths have occurred so far, is only a couple miles down the road from me.

Old 03-06-2020, 03:49 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times
a "pathetic failure" and "incompetent" I tell you!!!!1!11!!

Old 03-06-2020, 03:57 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
First off, the countries you've listed have ten fold more cases of coronavirus then America, at this present time.

Second, what would you have done differently if you were in charge?
Part of the equation is that they know of more cases, because they have tested more people.

Old 03-06-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What country has its own money to pay for such?
Canada for one.

People are being tested, no charge to them. All covered by our UHC.

Old 03-06-2020, 04:00 PM

Since the last pandemic, what has changed in the US? Responses before were considered good.

All I've heard is that Trump got rid of your Pandemic Team. If that is true, then perhaps that is why the response seems a bit rudderless at the moment.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...avirus/607597/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.