Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2020, 02:49 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Interesting how your 'modern language' version omits the part about 'well regulated'?
uhm.. well regulated means well trained

has NOTHING to do with regulations or restrictions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 02:51 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes I heard that rumor about our decimated military with a budget equivalent to the next 10 countries combined, yet we still need to have a militia.
our defense budget is right in line with nearly every country in the world..sitting at about 3.5% of the GDP

Old 03-10-2020, 03:05 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,623,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm.. well regulated means well trained

has NOTHING to do with regulations or restrictions
BTW, even if the militia (or people or whatever) are NOT regulated, NOT well trained, etc.... it still has no impact on the 2nd amendment's flat command that the right of the people to KIBA cannot be taken away or restricted.

Old 03-10-2020, 03:11 PM

57,321 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
our defense budget is right in line with nearly every country in the world..sitting at about 3.5% of the GDP
We spend 10 times as much as Russia, twice China’s budget. If the US military doesn’t have enough bullets on a measly $700B like the poster indicated it’s time for an audit.

The point was why do we need a militia as was originally intended when we have the largest standing army in the world.

Last edited by Goodnight; 03-10-2020 at 03:31 PM..

Old 03-10-2020, 03:21 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,623,084 times
Quote:
We spend 10 times as much as Russia, twice China’s budget. If the US military doesn’t have enough bullets on a measly $700B like the poster indicated it’s time for an audit.
A lot of that was to rebuild and strengthen what Obama let deteriorate.

Old 03-10-2020, 03:31 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Sorry but the existing interpretation of the second does allow for the restriction of rights. So the existing system supports limitations of the rights in the second. So you will have to convince NRA and the USSC that restrictions are not allowed.

The argument at the moment is the nature and scope of restrictions not the existence of restrictions.
Check this out. My rights don't come from anyone that can take them away.
If you feel you can restrict my right to make or posses any firearm I wish to, I must be your property.
I must ask.... Who has "Authority & Jurisdiction" over your person?

Last edited by BentBow; 03-10-2020 at 04:01 PM..

Old 03-10-2020, 03:39 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Interesting how your 'modern language' version omits the part about 'well regulated'?
I just ordered a dictionary printed in 1790. Should have it in a week or so. I'll come back and post a photo of that definition after it arrives.

We're going to find out exactly what "regulated" meant at the time.

Old 03-10-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I just ordered a dictionary printed in 1790. Should have it in a week or so. I'll come back and post a photo of that definition after it arrives.

We're going to find out exactly what "regulated" meant at the time.
Oxford English Dictionary is where you will find your sources.

"well-regulated" was in normal and common use long before 1789. It referred to the property of something being in proper working order.

Anything of the day that was "well-regulated" was calibrated correctly to the best of its capabilities, and functioning as intended & expected.
Establishing government oversight of the people's arms wasn't the intent in using the phrase in the 2nd amendment, it was precisely to render the government powerless to do so.
Well regulated people, keep our very own government in check. Don't forget the "FREE STATE" part... Free from government tyranny
The people are the government as we only have to govern, but ourselves. As Declared in our Independence.

1714: "The practice of all well-regulated courts of justice in the world."
1812: "The equation of time ... is the adjustment of the difference of time as shown by a well-regulated clock and a true sun dial."

Old 03-10-2020, 04:01 PM

34,240 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Oxford English Dictionary is where you will find your sources.

"well-regulated" was in normal and common use long before 1789. It referred to the property of something being in proper working order.

Anything of the day that was "well-regulated" was calibrated correctly to the best of its capabilities, and functioning as intended & expected.
Establishing government oversight of the people's arms wasn't the intent in using the phrase in the 2nd amendment, it was precisely to render the government powerless to do so.
Well regulated people, keep our very own government in check. Don't forget the "FREE STATE" part... Free from government tyranny
The people are the government as we only have to govern, but ourselves. As Declared in our Independence.

1714: "The practice of all well-regulated courts of justice in the world."
1812: "The equation of time ... is the adjustment of the difference of time as shown by a well-regulated clock and a true sun dial."
^^^^All of this, but the Democrats lie and deceive to make it something different. All to make us controlled and more dependent.

Old 03-10-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:

The point was why do we need a militia as was originally intended when we have the largest standing army in the world.
Quit being selective...

Why do we "need" a FREE STATE?

Like the front part, Government & cowards wish we would erase and forget the part after the last comma, that tells them... "Yes, I will shoot you"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies