Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2020, 07:21 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Eschaton, you are not one to exaggerate. Are you serious here? A year would be an absolute catastrophe.
Remember the bell curve. At some point we peak and people start recovering. Those people will be done with this. We are in the panic/beginning. I think the panic part might slow down at some point. It probably will get more quiet. I think this is going to be around for a year, but I also don't think it will be like it is today. Scramble mode will end.

I hope people pull together and realize we are all in this together. I am thankful this virus isn't that bad for the vast majority of people and hope we are wildly overreacting, but time will tell.

I personally know people in quarantine because they have health issues to begin with. I worry about them and people I know of advanced age. Sure are stressful times.

Take care of yourselves.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:27 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Most of you losers will be OK with the social distancing. You're here all day wasting time posting on this thread. Hey, wait a minute.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:33 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,311,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Yes. See here.
There's a big difference between millions and hundreds of thousands though. At some point, our society has to discuss what is an acceptable level of death. We lose 50,000 Americans in an average year due to the flu. Losing 100,000 due to the coronavirus, while tragic, would be just a little worse than a bad flu season. Losing millions is a whole different story.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:45 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
There's a big difference between millions and hundreds of thousands though. At some point, our society has to discuss what is an acceptable level of death. We lose 50,000 Americans in an average year due to the flu. Losing 100,000 due to the coronavirus, while tragic, would be just a little worse than a bad flu season. Losing millions is a whole different story.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that so far this season, there have been at least 15 million flu illnesses for the 2019-2020 season, 140,000 hospitalizations and 8,200 deaths in the U.S.

After reading 1/2 of people will get this thing in the next few months, I am at a loss for words.

Guess we are in for quite a year.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:58 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,311,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that so far this season, there have been at least 15 million flu illnesses for the 2019-2020 season, 140,000 hospitalizations and 8,200 deaths in the U.S.

After reading 1/2 of people will get this thing in the next few months, I am at a loss for words.

Guess we are in for quite a year.
It's hard to get exact stats for the flu but most articles I'm finding put the CDC's 2020 estimate at around 20,000 to 22,000. Obviously that's much higher than current Coronavirus totals but much lower than worst case coronavirus projections.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:58 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,019,980 times
So, I found out this morning my wife might have been exposed to COVID-19 already.

Apparently two PPS employees who may have been exposed to COVID-19 were dropping off free school lunches to a number of schools - including the school my daughter goes to. Of course school is out, but my wife had to stop at the school yesterday to pick up a homework packet for my daughter. Which means, although it's a remote possibility, my wife may have been infected due to touching a surface in the building.

I'm not worried, but this means I won't be able to be in physical contact with my mother for quite awhile now.

Old 03-18-2020, 08:43 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,916,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
So, I found out this morning my wife might have been exposed to COVID-19 already.

Apparently two PPS employees who may have been exposed to COVID-19 were dropping off free school lunches to a number of schools - including the school my daughter goes to. Of course school is out, but my wife had to stop at the school yesterday to pick up a homework packet for my daughter. Which means, although it's a remote possibility, my wife may have been infected due to touching a surface in the building.

I'm not worried, but this means I won't be able to be in physical contact with my mother for quite awhile now.

Ugh, sorry to hear that Eschaton. My wife and I passed through Chicago O'hare airport a few days ago on our way home from vacation, so we are also isolating ourselves to limit the spread.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:25 AM

1,912 posts, read 737,806 times
I'm hearing from truckers that PA highway rest stops are closed. They need to eat and use facilities! They deliver our food supplies. I called state reps office they blame the feds. Federal reps office blames Penndot. Please call your representatives to get this straightened out. Man with the National Guard if necessary.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:43 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
I'm hearing from truckers that PA highway rest stops are closed. They need to eat and use facilities! They deliver our food supplies. I called state reps office they blame the feds. Federal reps office blames Penndot. Please call your representatives to get this straightened out. Man with the National Guard if necessary.
There is takeout food and portable toilets.

Old 03-18-2020, 10:29 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,684,432 times
So what is everybody’s opinion on how state and local leadership has handled this event so far? I haven’t been to impressed with our local leadership so far. It looks to reactionary. The state should’ve done more I think when they saw the problems in Eastern pa.

I also think how well prepared your state is will have the lasting economic impact on each individually positive or negative. The states that come out of this first and best will likely sustain the least amount of economic damage. That might end up being the best PR for attracting new business. When all said and done.

Maryland, Ohio and Kentucky were the first to act and shut things down. If I was to guess I’d say those three states are in the first group to be out of this. Others seemed much slower.

California seems better than expected, while New York and Washington State are a disaster. No more pittsburgh trying to be like Seattle please.

Ohio’s Governor has received the most national praise so far. He shut down the Arnold classic two weeks ago. People said it was political suicide. It looks like the right decision as other governors are modeling after Dewine’s decisions.

I really think state by state people are finding out how good the leadership and governors are they elected. It is going to be 50 different outcomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies