Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2020, 11:59 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,686,900 times

Advertisements

They are projecting 500,000 jobs in the Pittsburgh area to be directly affected with the non essential business shutdown. My relative got his pink slip yesterday.

I really think the epidemic is bad in PA and people should shelter in place. Nobody knows how this is going to end, but my thought is you may have certain states back in operation while others under travel constraints and shut down.

Hats off to most of the governors in this country. They have kept this nation from falling apart and becoming unglued.

https://triblive.com/local/pittsburg...sburgh-region/

Old 03-21-2020, 12:25 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
They are projecting 500,000 jobs in the Pittsburgh area to be directly affected with the non essential business shutdown. My relative got his pink slip yesterday.

I really think the epidemic is bad in PA and people should shelter in place. Nobody knows how this is going to end, but my thought is you may have certain states back in operation while others under travel constraints and shut down.

Hats off to most of the governors in this country. They have kept this nation from falling apart and becoming unglued.

https://triblive.com/local/pittsburg...sburgh-region/
Hats off indeed, and it’s what they get paid for.

Old 03-21-2020, 12:30 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,686,900 times
Please stay home if you can. Cases are spiking in PA. Large clusters in Allegheny County, which is Becoming an epicenter. Lots of people and dense population is spreading this

https://triblive.com/news/pennsylvan...egheny-county/

Old 03-21-2020, 12:48 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
We can start by calling the Spanish flu the Kansas Flu then.
Or the Chinese Flu of 1918, as historians believe that it originated in China:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/n...cience-health/

Old 03-21-2020, 12:55 PM

387 posts, read 471,444 times
[quote=erieguy;57625460]Depends on what country. This coming out of China, and however exactly it started there, and them trying to cover it up, and calling it the “Chinese Flu”, isn’t derogatory. It’s something that country needs to own.

Agreed. I'm not even a Trump supporter.
But, I do feel attacking him for his statement was just to escalate drama.
I'm tired of the crapload of people escalating drama.

If the SARS-Cov-2 virus started in Pittsburgh, other cities in the USA would be referring to it in a regional manner, as 'the Pittsburgh Virus'.
The entire world over would be calling it 'the American Virus' .
If it started in Canada, they'd be referring to it as 'the Canadian virus', were it the Galapagos, it'd be the Galopagos Virus.

What I mean by this is:
It's entirely acceptable for me to say "I ordered Chinese food today" this is OK, but if I would say "Chinese virus" it is not. Regional descriptors are regional descriptors used to differentiate.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________

The larger concern is that Chinese officials LIED & attempted to cover up what was really going on.

When they could not longer contain, they disclosed the outbreak, the rest of out entire world's governments became dependent upon the data that China disclosed, based upon their findings.

I doubt China has fully disclosed, even to this date. I doubt China ever will fully disclose the real information, & I also doubt China's ability to accurately assess that situation in the 1st place.
We will learn in the coming year only through other government's testing what we are actually dealing with.
There was NO RELAIBLE DATA that could be collected anywhere else in the world, until the outbreak spread, to enough people outside of China, and other countries were able to compile & observe their own data.
All the world was forced to formulate some type of plan based upon an unreliable source, China.

This is where issues really became huge, & still are, because it relates to testing and transmissibility.

We had to immediately adopt some type of testing to identify what we are dealing with, along with a time line for quarantine to lessen transmission, but all the world had was bad data from and unreliable source.
As a direct result:
The REAL issue NOW isn't as much about the number of available tests, as all of the media spin is stating.
The real issue is about ACCURACY of the information actually provided by the tests, and transmission.
Currently, the accuracy of the testing is questionable at best.
There are way too many false negatives & false positives. The cut off values are currently based upon things we do not know for sure.
The world was forced to build upon the unreliable data, because that is all we had.

Now we are seeing, as other countries develop their own data & methods,
our information changes day to day about virus risk/spread/symptoms/mortality, we have a testing system in place that is not accurate enough.
There are so many unanswered questions about HOW the virus REALLY spreads, & how long it is contagious, and we are learning very quickly this virus can be carried a lot longer without symptoms, and that there is more than 1 version of the virus, and testing does not yet differentiate which, because the technology is not yet there.
The only information we ARE getting from the testing is in the sense of positive/negative, which isn't accurate. We also know we have not yet identified why/how so many people, with no connection to anyone with the virus, or a region that was exposed, are getting sick. That was part of the problem with Italy.

I'm still in quarantine awaiting my CODID-19 results, but have little faith now that it will even be accurate now that I have read the research on the available testing.
I do know what I do not have (I was 1st tested for Influenza A, B, RSV & bacterial infection-only when ALL of those came back negative did they even consider testing me for COVID-19).
My symptoms began weeks before I got REALLY sick and landed in the ER.

Old 03-21-2020, 12:59 PM

^^^^^
Bingo

Old 03-21-2020, 03:22 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,057,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
In what respect is there a need for such a "reference point"?

I doubt there's anybody who doesn't now recognize "coronavirus" or "Covid 19" as the big headline story that it is.

What need is there to reference it to China, beyond the placing of blame? Is such specific placing of blame useful at this point in the process?

what 'blame'? it is a fact - this started in china.

should history books be rewritten to replace "GERMAN measles"? why "blame" germany?

Old 03-21-2020, 03:26 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,057,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catia View Post

The larger concern is that Chinese officials LIED & attempted to cover up what was really going on.

When they could not longer contain, they disclosed the outbreak, the rest of out entire world's governments became dependent upon the data that China disclosed, based upon their findings.

I doubt China has fully disclosed, even to this date

the US government, despite efforts to make amends, and apologies galore, seems never to shake its bad choices/unethical actions of the past (with the native peoples, etc.). we are ALWAYS reminded how terrible "we" were to whomever. fast forward centuries later, and the same thing.

but lest us not call this "chinese" because, well, its rude, despite what Catia states above.

remember Chernobyl? being a science nerd, i remember when this story broke....the West implored the soviets to let us know what was happening - the strange evidence on sat photos were alarming.

it may have been 2 weeks (dont quote me ) when they finally admitted they had a meltdown unlike any other ever seen before. they could have gotten assistance, technical advice....

my point - lets own up, then move on to resolve things, instead of being mired and bogged down in correctness.

Last edited by szug-bot; 03-21-2020 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: to make clear my point which definitely will be lost

Old 03-21-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
what 'blame'? it is a fact - this started in china.

should history books be rewritten to replace "GERMAN measles"? why "blame" germany?
Sounds like he wants to be more conscientious towards a country that has little to no regard for it’s people or most anyone else in the world, and has once again caused health issues and are/were trying to cover this up.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:42 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,316,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
In what respect is there a need for such a "reference point"?

I doubt there's anybody who doesn't now recognize "coronavirus" or "Covid 19" as the big headline story that it is.

What need is there to reference it to China, beyond the placing of blame? Is such specific placing of blame useful at this point in the process?
Yes. Now stop whining about stupid things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies