Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2020, 07:46 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times

Advertisements

It's ironic that Italy and other European nations are suffering much more than China, but nobody's making derogatory statements about Italians or boycotting Italian restaurants.

I just went to the West Mifflin Target, because I need to buy TP for legitmate reasons. There was a family there who'd brought Mom, Dad, and two kids for the sole purpose of each buying a pack of TP separately to get around the 1 per customer quota. I was so shocked at their greed that I didn't think to publicly shame them. What are they doing at their house that they need that much right now?

Old 03-21-2020, 07:50 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
The rage I heard against Asians today was scary. It was much worse than I heard as a black man or even against Mexicans. People are unglued over this whole thing, business closures etc.
We sure travel in different circles. I have never heard anyone say anything about an Asian in a negative manner. I have heard some crap on the Internet, but when you have 7.5+ billion people on a planet, you will find something negative against someone out there. Almost no one cares about the race thing, but you can find anything out there to make people believe anything.

My point was simple. If there is a great Asian population in an area the chance of travel to China would be greater in the early stages. That isn't a negative, it is just a point of concern for the people that might be affected.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:00 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,131,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
We sure travel in different circles. I have never heard anyone say anything about an Asian in a negative manner. I have heard some crap on the Internet, but when you have 7.5+ billion people on a planet, you will find something negative against someone out there. Almost no one cares about the race thing, but you can find anything out there to make people believe anything.

My point was simple. If there is a great Asian population in an area the chance of travel to China would be greater in the early stages. That isn't a negative, it is just a point of concern for the people that might be affected.

Yeah I havent seen much myself but I also normally do not go out a lot. I saw 2 asian older women at Costco yesterday in cranberry and no one seemed to make a deal. I think no one is making derogatory statements about other counties since almost all details seem to show this started in China and most information points to them downplaying and trying to hide the extent. Not going to argue the point but that is the perception thus if they had handled this different w/in their own country it may not have spread as far or quickly.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:04 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Yeah I havent seen much myself but I also normally do not go out a lot. I saw 2 asian older women at Costco yesterday in cranberry and no one seemed to make a deal. I think no one is making derogatory statements about other counties since almost all details seem to show this started in China and most information points to them downplaying and trying to hide the extent. Not going to argue the point but that is the perception thus if they had handled this different w/in their own country it may not have spread as far or quickly.
If there is something negative, people will find it. Like I said, with billions and billions of people on camera, you can find anything to promote some agenda. Sad.

I hope we can find a cure soon. These are tough times.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:09 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,131,490 times
Also I am sure there is blame to go around on how things were handled. Lets put politics aside for a moment, I was thinking about this last night trying to fall asleep.

If you feel people are being selfish or ignoring what needs to be done or calling it just the flu, I think the main blame falls on media and BOTH parties bickering. The media has been sensationalizing every little things that comes out to draw in viewership, literally every single day with everything that comes out. Leading headline today "Are things under your sink waiting to kill you? Tune in tonight" People just don't really believe the media. There was a time news was news (and unbiased) in my life but not sure when that changed. Then look at politics, whichever side you are one, the fact that anything one side says is going to be misquoted or used out of context and then countered with 1/2 truths or just straight lied about. We don't really believe our politicians and after so much people don't want (or care) to keep fact checking every single statement.

Just a rant after not being able to fall asleep.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:23 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
People need to realize the Chinese people have nothing to do with this. Rumor has it that this was created in a lab in Red China and if that is the case, you can't fault the population of the entire country. The lab, yes. Their government, yes. But not the general population. And bear in mind many of the Chinese people in this country are either former residents of Taiwan or ancestors of people from Taiwan.

Had to cancel my travel plans to your area this month due to this virus. Wanted to look at a couple of homes. And my trip to Indiana for this weekend for the same reason has also been screwed up. Life as we know it will grind to a halt for at least a couple of months.

The lame stream media is blowing this out of proportion as noted by a couple of people. Working people into a panic. They should be ashamed.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:12 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
I think no one is making derogatory statements about other counties since almost all details seem to show this started in China and most information points to them downplaying and trying to hide the extent.

Yeah. It's not like any of our leaders would have done that.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:21 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Yeah. It's not like any of our leaders would have done that.
Depends on what country. This coming out of China, and however exactly it started there, and them trying to cover it up, and calling it the “Chinese Flu”, isn’t derogatory. It’s something that country needs to own.

Considering the poster here who said “The rage I heard against Asians today was scary.”, I’m not buying it.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:35 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
My point is that early on, Chinese officials were likely in CYA mode. A human failing, for sure, and not without consequences. Do we have a double standard?

Old 03-21-2020, 09:44 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
My point is that early on, Chinese officials were likely in CYA mode. A human failing, for sure, and not without consequences. Do we have a double standard?
They were certainly in CYA mode. A human scheme to cover it up that could’ve had far fewer consequences.

Sadly, this isn’t the first major health issue that has come from there. The country is continuing to prove it’s a disgrace, and a disgrace to it’s people. Countries like that deserve no special treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies