Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2020, 01:53 PM

43,325 posts, read 18,440,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Fair enough, so we burn our hands on the stove and relearn the lessons we lost then I suppose.
We didn't lose any lessons because none of us were alive 102 years ago.

We had no internet. Communications were sporadic because of the War.
Sick soldiers were sent overseas regardless of their conditions because of the war.
And we had no vaccines

One lesson they did learn is that human social behavior plays a huge part in transmission of disease.

And we are ignoring all warnings to isolate.

Old 03-18-2020, 01:54 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,600,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Yet, he shut our borders. stopped flights. closed government offices. proposed congress give laid off workers stipends.
- He didn't "shut our borders" until today.
- He didn't "stop flights" until long after the horse was out of the barn.
- He hasn't "closed government offices". At least as of Monday, non-essential Federal workers were at their desks.
- Proposed stipends are great to help mitigate the economic damage, but do nothing to control the contagion.
- None of the above excuses his inaction and downplaying of the situation when preventative and protective social measures were necessary.

He dithered when decisive action was needed. He lied when truth would reduce the fallout. And now we are where we are, God help us.

Old 03-18-2020, 01:55 PM

12,591 posts, read 9,694,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/17/asia/...hnk/index.html

"Asian Americans, and particularly Chinese Americans, have already been dealing with an increase in racism and discrimination due to the coronavirus, including attacks and public confrontations."

Seriously? People need to get a grip.

A virus is a phenomena of nature much like an earthquake, a tornado, or cancer. A virus knows no political boundaries or race. It shows up when environmental conditions are favorable and it could be in anyone's back yard. Many times they seem to evolve in one species of animal that may develop immunity. Then the virus evolves or mutates and jumps species to one that may not be immune. There are hundreds of types of virus. Many live in the ocean. How they evolve and propagate varies and none of it has the first thing to do political boundaries. Anyone confronting, attacking or blaming Asians for this virus needs to be charged with a hate crime.
Trumplicans have been ranting about how this proves that diversity and allowing immigration are terrible. Funny how no matter what the situation is, they always view it as reinforcing their xenophobic, racists views.

Old 03-18-2020, 01:56 PM

27,674 posts, read 28,776,586 times
The Chinese have certain filthy cultural norms that cause dangerous virus outbreaks like this to happen.

The U.S. government may need to go in there and educate some of those people so that this kind of thing doesn't happen again.

Old 03-18-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
- He didn't "shut our borders" until today.
- He didn't "stop flights" until long after the horse was out of the barn.
- He hasn't "closed government offices". At least as of Monday, non-essential Federal workers were at their desks.
- Proposed stipends are great to help mitigate the economic damage, but do nothing to control the contagion.
- None of the above excuses his inaction and downplaying of the situation when preventative and protective social measures were necessary.
My son is Fed. He got labeled "essential worker" either Friday or Monday, his hours got increased and he is on call during his off hours. Teams have been formed with working on and working off.

The government is executing their plan...continuity of government is the highest priority and that is what they are doing...lining up the ducks.

There is a ***ton of work going on behind the scenes that neither you nor I are aware of. But that doesn't mean "nothing is happening".

Old 03-18-2020, 02:00 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,600,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
My son is Fed. He got labeled "essential worker" either Friday or Monday, his hours got increased and he is on call during his off hours. Teams have been formed with working on and working off.

The government is executing their plan...continuity of government is the highest priority and that is what they are doing...lining up the ducks.
Makes sense. My point was that the claim that Trump "closed government offices" is demonstrably false. He hasn't.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:00 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,286,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The Chinese have certain filthy cultural norms that cause dangerous virus outbreaks like this to happen.

The U.S. government may need to go in there and educate some of those people so that this kind of thing doesn't happen again.
Some pretty filthy cultural norms on this here board.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Makes sense. My point was that the claim that Trump "closed government offices" is demonstrably false. He hasn't.
Probably means closed to the public.

That's what my city/county/state did...closed to the public.

https://www.ssa.gov/agency/emergency/
All local Social Security offices will be closed to the public for in-person service starting Tuesday, March 17, 2020. This decision protects the population we serve—older Americans and people with underlying medical conditions—and our employees during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. However, we are still able to provide critical services.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:02 PM

13,513 posts, read 17,062,552 times
I just came back from a quick run. Popped on Hannity in my car and had to listen to him running PR interference for his initial approach to the media reaction to this virus as a plot to destroy Trump by the Democrats. I didn't say the virus itself was the plot. He and best bud Trump claimed that the media was exaggerating the danger of this virus to hurt Trumps re-election bid. Now he's claiming he said all along this virus was a serious issue. Lying low life.

https://www.mediamatters.org/sean-ha...geon-trump-new

"bludgeon Trump with this new hoax"

Piece of excrement should be off the air.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:08 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,455,941 times
Why are there no test kits available? This is a huge scandal. F*** politics, I don't care which president appointed whoever is in the CDC, whether it's Trump's fault Obama's fault Bush's fault, they should be criminally liable for what's happening. The Center of Disease Control apparently can't control anything at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies