Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2020, 11:36 AM

43,111 posts, read 18,281,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Of course the German company is sharing its progress, they are working together with the Paul Ehrlich Institute, which is a federal agency.
Well that is good to hear. From what I've been reading so far is that the research community has been open and sharing with each other. Even private research publishers are giving them free access to data.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:37 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Not sure we are talking about the same "it". I was referring to things labeled "stimulus", such as the Fed lowering the prime rate which Trump is haranguing the Fed chief to do. He is wasting valuable economic bullets that will be needed when things worse, as they likely will.
Yep. If you use it now, you have nothing left to stimulate the economy with, and it will not do much good right now. It is a poor use of what options we have. It's going to get worse (almost positively).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-15-2020, 11:38 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times
So if it has been here for months, did it just spread to Italy? Their hospital systems seem to be overwhelmed so if this disease has been around for months, why no urgency at our hospitals all this time?

Old 03-15-2020, 11:39 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I would have thought that researchers all over the world would be sharing their info on this virus, their findings and where they are in vaccine creation.

Is that German company not sharing ? Being the one to claim it and reap the financial rewards should be the furthest thing from their mind at this point.
Perhaps but nevertheless I guarantee you that even if the company grants a no-cost license to their tech, they will make sure they retain control and ownership over the intellectual property. Doing that requires lots of lawyers.

But even if they give out a no-cost license the long road will be testing, tweaking, manufacturing and distributing.

43,111 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yep. If you use it now, you have nothing left to stimulate the economy with, and it will not do much good right now. It is a poor use of what options we have. It's going to get worse (almost positively).
That lowering of the prime rate is more for companies who are experiencing huge losses right now.
They can refinance loans at a lower rate.
HELOC's are tied to the prime rate.

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Well that is good to hear. From what I've been reading so far is that the research community has been open and sharing with each other. Even private research publishers are giving them free access to data.
Yes, and it makes you wonder why anyone would want exclusive rights to a cure.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:40 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Biden says he has a plan so he should get his butt to the WH and tell it to Trump.
In times like this politics has no place.
Biden has given the details of his plan publicly. https://joebiden.com/covid19/

However, I agree with you that trump certainly could use Biden's advice right now.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It would be easier to quarantine a small group rather then trying to quarantine everyone. And by not trying to quarantine everyone we could keep the economy moving and be able to provide financial assistance for those who are sick in the form of paid sick leave for those who are high risk and need to stay home and therefore, can’t work. No system will be perfect but this is a more balanced approach and I’m glad to see some other ideas out there.

There are a lot of people who are going to lose their jobs soon. The first people who will be impacted will be those who work in the service industry and who are a already living paycheck to paycheck. The ripple effect will be very interesting. Not in a good way.

I agree about the president. He’s not exactly setting a good example for people.
What bluedevilz said, plus, NO ONE is buying this. The science/health people disagree. Even Boris is changing his tune, even if he does think it's the greatest idea on earth.

Re: the economy, what Mikayla said.

8,384 posts, read 4,369,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
German newspapers reporting that Trump tried to bribe German scientists to relocate their research on a cure or vaccine to the US, to develop exclusively for the US. Trump is the scum of the earth. And so is every senator who voted to acquit him.

I saw this story developing this AM.

It is odd.

Daniel Menichella, CureVac CEO, discussed the coronavirus response with Donald Trump. With no explanation, Menichella was released/fired?

It is said Trump offered a large sum of money for all rights to a coronavirus vaccine that would be ready for human trials in a few months.

”Welt am Sonntag quoted an unidentified German government source as saying Trump was trying to secure the scientists’ work exclusively, and would do anything to get a vaccine for the United States, “but only for the United States.”

Welt am Sonntag is a German Sunday newspaper published in Germany.

The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has provided considerable funding to Curevac.

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotec...without-a-word

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/15/coro...g-vaccine.html

https://www.gatesfoundation.org/medi...-collaboration

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Ah, so you have no answer besides “because TDS”

It’s what I was expecting and also why half the country doesn’t believe democrat lies.
You keep making stuff up. Falsely claiming an entire political party has done, what you actually are doing, is more than despicable, it is pitiful and tragic. There is no Democratic Party narrative on this serious new disease. It is you, dear, who insists that our Public Health, medical and science experts are Democrats and lying to the United States.

You, tragically, are exhibiting the kind of thinking that shows us how successful the Trump campaign has been to poison and divide the citizens of these United States of America. Half of America doesn't believe science, you say..God Help Us!

Thank you, Putin, for this sorry state of affairs.

P.S. Mirage98, May you and your family be safe and stay healthy during this pandemic.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 03-15-2020 at 12:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies