Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2020, 09:29 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,843,388 times

Advertisements

Got to wonder who flipped the switch here.

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1240131226268323842

Trump changed his tune within a few days later.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:29 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Yes, a surgical mask offers a level of protection to the wearer. It is imperfect, but far better than nothing.

Also yes, restricting Chinese tourism in the US was never going to prevent a highly contagious pandemic from arriving on our shores.

One has nothing to do with the other. I don't see how you could possibly equate the two.
they have everything to do with each other regarding your all-or-nothing argument. first you ridiculously assume that if you can't keep every single infected person out the country, then keeping most or some of them out is no help at all

then you go on to note (correctly) that having some degree of protection via a mask is better than nothing..

keep trying to have it both ways.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:31 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,747,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
What we need is evidence-based policies, not "common sense". It may make common sense to you, but it's been reported over and over again all the mask does is keep you from spreading your germs. It doesn't protect you. My husband's oncologist said you need to change your mask every 30 minutes for it to be truly effective, as well. Don't know if that's accurate, but they do give people a false sense of security.
Did you not read my previous post? I ALREADY said that studies show that a mask is not very effective in preventing you from getting a virus, but it can be effective in keeping you from spreading an infection to others. Hence, why healthcare workers wear masks.

Americans simply hear the first part ("the mask won't protect me") and completely ignore the second part ("the mask can help me protect others"). But this type of attitude is to be expected in a country where most people have never been asked to sacrifice anything.

43,129 posts, read 18,298,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Usually Trump's lying and know-nothingness is of no consequence. This time it is majorly consequential. Instead of dismissing COVID-19 as "the common cold" and saying "it's going to disappear," imagine if he had been pro-active from the very beginning. Maybe we would look a lot more like South Korea.
No we wouldn't. They are a younger country than us, a healthier population than us and when they got told to stay home they did.

Nope...us and Europe are more like Italy.

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Israeli scientist: You’re not going to see millions of people die from COVID-19

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel...from-covid-19/
His hypothesis is based on China. The lock down was successful in containing the spread, for now.

Had China not taken this action......had the population not been compliant.....

Anyway, I hope he is correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies