Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2020, 11:56 AM

24,576 posts, read 17,321,260 times

Advertisements

This happened when Hostess went out of business and people were selling a box of Twinkies for $20. I don't recall anyone shutting down the sellers that were gouging the public and no one was thrown in jail over it?

MMM twinkies...

7,216 posts, read 4,605,718 times
We aren’t going to hit the peak of illness until June or July.

25,947 posts, read 24,784,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if this story is the Russians at work.
What do Russians have to do with it?!

Old 03-15-2020, 11:57 AM

43,305 posts, read 18,428,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
The article is now behind a paywall.

Diese Erfahrung wird Europa so schnell nicht vergessen

But CNBC has an article which refers to the german article.

Germany tries to stop US from luring away firm seeking coronavirus vaccine
So Trump wants to get the company to get a vaccine for the US and only the US ?

That sounds unbelievable that we would get a vaccine and not share it with the rest of the world.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:57 AM

1,768 posts, read 569,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Is there any documentation of this rumor? No one has even posted a link from the German newspaper! I'm no Trump supporter, either.

Well, whadda ya know? I found this over on NPR: https://www.dw.com/en/germany-and-us...-OSfxHekrNTB94
"The prominent German media outlet reported, citing unnamed sources, that US President Donald Trump was offering large sums of money to German scientists working on a vaccine. He wanted to secure exclusive rights to their work, the newspaper reported. . . CureVac declined to comment to Die Welt. The company is based in the southwestern German city of Tübingen and works with the Paul Ehrlich Institute, linked with the German Health Ministry. It also has sites in Frankfurt and the US city of Boston. . . On Sunday, however, the head of CureVac's biggest investor said that an exclusive contract with the US was out of the question."

So, we don't really know if this happened or not, and if it did, the company is not going along with it.

ETA: I was writing this post as ditchoc posted.
So offering a bribe doesn’t matter if the person you’re bribing has the ethics to refuse it?

Got it.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:59 AM

43,305 posts, read 18,428,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
So offering a bribe doesn’t matter if the person you’re bribing has the ethics to refuse it?

Got it.
That article sounds so off.....

US bribing and then Germany counter bribing with even more money
And that Trump wants the vaccine for the US and only the US and no other country.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:59 AM

1,065 posts, read 474,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
What are you talking about? Aspirin is dirt cheap. Thanks to capitalism, I don't need to shop around, that's the point. There is absolutely no good reason for a hospital to charge anything over a few bucks for a single aspirin. Packaging costs? It is not rocket science. Why should it cost more to package 1 single aspirin vs an entire bottle of them?

I understand the single aspirin is going to cost more per unit, but what they typically charge is far and above the cost of an entire bottle. That's called price gouging, but I don't see anyone trying to shut down hospitals over it. Instead, the government does everything they can to support this level of price gouging. Why does the government get to pick winners and losers? That's not how free market capitalism works.
This goes back to my original response to you:

"But you need to understand how a hospital works. The cost of running a hospital is distributed across all its services. Some services are available at a discount, while others are available at a premium. If you were to purchase Aspirin at the hospital pharmacy, it wouldn't be $10/pill and it would be readily available."

You simply have no idea how a hospital works and, as a result, you are unable to grasp a very simple concept. You can keep refusing to learn, but it doesn't change the facts. Hospitals are not price gouging Aspirin and you would understand why if you tried to learn something for a minute.

Again, this has nothing to do with the OP. Stop trying to go offtopic.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:00 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,770,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
What is one to think of rumors that Corona is the result of an accident at a Wuhan lab specialized on biological warfare?
According to this guy, a university in North Carolina and Fort Dietrich are also involved in that mess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5snzKNXP-S8
Maybe it’s not an accident and it’s Chinas way of destabilizing our economy and preventing a Trump from being re-elected?

Old 03-15-2020, 12:00 PM

1,065 posts, read 474,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
This happened when Hostess went out of business and people were selling a box of Twinkies for $20. I don't recall anyone shutting down the sellers that were gouging the public and no one was thrown in jail over it?

MMM twinkies...
Why would anyone go to jail for it?

Old 03-15-2020, 12:01 PM

2,385 posts, read 1,590,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
So Trump wants to get the company to get a vaccine for the US and only the US ?

That sounds unbelievable that we would get a vaccine and not share it with the rest of the world.
That seems what the article is implying.

Anyway, the German Health Minister (the german equivalent of our Secretary of HHS) has come out against the alleged "takeover".

https://twitter.com/ConStelz/status/1239246973905010690
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies