Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 10:33 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
So you are going to blame the infants for high infant mortality? Why are we worse than many second world countries?
That would actually be due to the bad lifestyle choices their mothers made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 10:37 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,673,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That would actually be due to the bad lifestyle choices their mothers made.

Obviously. So we punish the infants by not providing adequate prenatal care.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:41 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,673,051 times
Quote:
I agree that America has the best doctors in the world. We also have many bad ones. My son is a physician and I was a hospital executive, and you want to explain to me how doctors are paid? It doesn't matter if you are the best or worst physician in your hospital, you get paid what the reimbursement is for that procedure. There are examples where a hospital pays a big name doctor to join their staff for marketing purposes. These are few and far between.
Right but the heart surgeon makes a lot more money than the ER doctor. "The worst" physicians don't perform those procedures like heart and brain surgery, the best ones do. And they are compensated more.

Quote:
BTW, you don't understand what capitalism is.
Uh, yeah I do. I just used an example to explain certain aspects of it, for the second time.

cap·i·tal·ism
an economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:10 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Obviously. So we punish the infants by not providing adequate prenatal care.
Providing adequate prenatal care has nothing to do with mothers making bad lifestyle choices. Medicaid already pays for half of all US births/year. Nearly all of those mothers are eligible for Medicaid and therefore prenatal care. (All pregnant women with incomes below 133% of the federal poverty level are eligible for Medicaid.) Way too many of them are still obese, live unhealthy lifestyles, etc., anyway. Hence, the higher than it should be infant mortality rate. Just waving a free health care wand doesn't suddenly make those who refuse to act responsibly somehow magically choose and implement a healthy lifestyle.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Right but the heart surgeon makes a lot more money than the ER doctor. "The worst" physicians don't perform those procedures like heart and brain surgery, the best ones do. And they are compensated more.

Uh, yeah I do. I just used an example to explain certain aspects of it, for the second time.

cap·i·tal·ism
an economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state.
Your response shows you know nothing about physician practice. People in medical school make decisions about what field they want to specialize for many different reasons, and money is not one of the top ones. Medical school graduates go through a "match" process at the end of medical school to determine what and where they will do their residency. Residencies last anywhere from three to seven years. For example, a typical neurosurgery residency is seven years.

Beyond residency, a physician must then decide if they will do a fellowship. Fellowships are required for more complex specialties. The length of residencies and fellowships vary based on the complexity. A fellowship can last from one to four years. I've heard of physicians who do more than one fellowship.

The majority of physicians who make the most have sacrificed years of higher earnings to get specialized training. Some physician don't want to or can't afford that type of sacrifice. Some are interested in research, some aren't. Some want direct patient care, others don't. It is not a matter of the best physicians make the most money and the worst make the least. BTW, my son recently completed his fellowship.

Last edited by villageidiot1; 04-03-2020 at 01:00 PM..

Old 04-03-2020, 12:35 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
(life expectancy) has been debunked a dozen times

the usa ranked in the 30's. a LE of 79.1

the highest is japan at 82.6

could it be demographics???
To tag along on this solid point, also understand that if you account properly for just one variable - fatal injuries (not related to healthcare) - the US jumps to into the top 3 in life expectancy.

Also, many countries have vastly different measures for infant mortality and how they average infant deaths into the overall mortality stats, and properly controlled for along the very comprehensive measures the US uses, the US moves to #1 in the relative life expectancy rankings worldwide.

Using life expectancy as a measure of your healthcare system is, obviously, a very blunt tool. A much better statistic is disease/injury survival rates, which actually measures the outcomes that are dependent on the healthcare industry.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Your response shows you know nothing about physician practice. People in medical school make decisions about what field they want to specialize for many different reasons, and money is not one of the top ones. Medical school graduates go through a "match" process at the end of medical school to determine what and where they will do their residency. Residencies last anywhere from three to seven years. For example, a typical neurosurgery residency is seven years.

Beyond residency, a physician must then decide if they will do a fellowship. Fellowships are required for more complex specialties. The length of residencies and fellowships vary based on the complexity. A fellowship can last from one to four years. I've heard of physicians who do more than one fellowship.

The majority of physicians who make the most have sacrificed years of higher earnings to get specialized training. Some physician don't want to or can't afford that type of sacrifice. Some are interested in research, some aren't. Some want direct patient care, others don't. It is not a matter of the best physicians make the most money and the worst make the least. BTW, my son recently completed his fellowship.
Thanks, but I actually do know how it works; my sister is a step away from being an MD/PhD and she's not going into it for the money. I admire and respect the heck outta that but no, if I spend 20 years of my life in school I want the big big bucks.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks, but I actually do know how it works; my sister is a step away from being an MD/PhD and she's not going into it for the money. I admire and respect the heck outta that but no, if I spend 20 years of my life in school I want the big big bucks.

The misconception is that these people are in school. My son spent much of his time in medical school, residency, and fellowship as an instructor to younger students. He was being paid during residency and fellowship. It wasn't a huge salary, but he was making more than his sister who is a public school teacher.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
The misconception is that these people are in school. My son spent much of his time in medical school, residency, and fellowship as an instructor to younger students. He was being paid during residency and fellowship. It wasn't a huge salary, but he was making more than his sister who is a public school teacher.
She actually does that. She's working but she's learning too. She's researching...infectious diseases lol. She's not paid super well, but I don't believe she has any loans, or if she does they're minimal.

Don't most people graduate with like 200k of medical school debt?

Old 04-03-2020, 05:14 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
I'm glad you like it.

My private insurance here in the USA is excellent.

I'd rather have doctors that make millions of dollars giving me brain or heart surgery than a doctor from a "national service" but that's just me.

Capitalism works.
Millions of your confreres disagree with you:

https://www.insider.com/medical-tour...lthcare-2018-6

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/01/02...ate-americans/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...lumn/97056938/

While not the third leading cause of death as the John's Hopkins study stated, nevertheless:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK499956/

And: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramakanta_Panda

Last edited by BruSan; 04-03-2020 at 05:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies