Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2020, 11:41 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Things on an internet board have a tendency to be exaggerated at times. In real life people tend to be more civil toward each other.
I agree. I really do not see civil unrest happening at all. If so, it will be isolated in pockets in large urban areas.

Oddly, I have a "Mad Max" bunker/bug out structure. I built it for fun and am certain it will never be used.

If society breaks down, the first bullet you use should be on yourself. Living in anarchy would not be worth living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 11:45 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
99% of Americans are the target of wealth redistribution. Only the smallest 1% are the major benefactors of money being taken from the working class and redirected to the (already) rich and powerful.

While you're right, it's easy for them to say "be civil" and they do, I think the point of this discussion is that the 99% of us who are the victims need to focus more on helping each other, and less on blaming others. Our society has been on this course since the Reagan years. We can all get back to trying to right the ship later, but for now, we should maybe just try to take care of ourselves, help our neighbors, and be decent people. That would go a long way.

I do wish people would Stay the Eff home. I see too many ignorant fools being proud of going to group gatherings. It didn't work out well for that NBA fellow who mocked COVID-19, and if people keep on, they AND ALL THEIR FELLOW AMERICANS will pay a higher price.

Are you tired of the rich getting more tax breaks yet, as our economy fails (as predicted) and the leaders are talking about bailing out cruise ships? I am....
"99% of us who are the victims"...………………….

As long as you think like that, you will never achieve financial or social peace. When one recognizes themselves as a "victim", you have abandoned any aspect of individual effort or ability to alter one's lot in life. You might as well be an amoeba- just an organism that reacts to stimuli and no ability to function as multi-cellular organism.

One can ALWAYS change their lot in life.

Old 03-16-2020, 11:48 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Which party would that be ?

It wouldn't be the Republican party, as Trump isn't conservative .
Opinion: and your point ?

Old 03-16-2020, 11:49 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Our division right now is largely due to those with a twisted agenda that doesn't include the truth. It's about defending rights and not playing the victim. At least for the adults it is.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-16-2020 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 03-16-2020, 11:51 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Constant police and ambulance sirens here in Denver.

How long before crime starts to spike?

Old 03-16-2020, 11:58 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Our division right now is largely due to those with a twisted agenda that doesn't include the truth. It's about defending rights and not playing the victim. At least for the adults it is.

Old 03-16-2020, 01:08 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Every single poster so far on this thread assumes that only Americans use CD.
A useful metaphor for understanding why American arrogance is loathed throughout the world.
By and large Americans cope with adversity extremely well and away from the swamp of social media are neighbourly and friendly.
You'll be just fine.
Not sure if the person was being serious but I got a DM to tell me as City Data is a .com it is an American site ...
Oy vey .

Old 03-16-2020, 01:11 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
That's why so many people are scrambling to move to Bulgaria.

Not.
I think you've just proved my point ...

Old 03-16-2020, 01:25 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
No, our division is between the producers and the moochers of society. If there is a civil war, it will be about the producers vs the moochers. The moochers will claim they're the real victims. It won't be about the religious right vs the liberals.

Old 03-16-2020, 01:26 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
Do you see how much hate and contempt exists on this board, how divided American society is? How much people are fighting over something as asinine as toilet paper on store shelves? This country needs to pull together right now, but if I were to judge America by the content of political discussion on these message boards, I'd say we are too egoistic, too lacking in social trust to do what is necessary to come out of this better people.
America has always had this much hate and division. It has been this bad for well over 200 years. It's just getting alot more attention with the media. America has always had this degree of egoism and lack of social trust. This is why we've had things like riots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies