Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 10:25 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,429,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I agree with you too, but not for the same reasons. We are deliberately causing an economic depression and not solving the problem of COVID-19's spread. We are going about this all wrong. The whole idea behind stopping the spread of illness is quarantining. But we aren't doing it. Quarantining has to be strict. Instead, we're closing a lot of business but not others, many people are still working, people are out shopping, going to restaurants, parties, events, and continuing to spread the airborne virus. So all we're doing is shooting ourselves in the foot.

Closing all these businesses is not going to fix the problem when we're not really quarantining. People will still get COVID-19 and die. Meanwhile, people will also die from hunger and homelessness. Millions of jobs will be lost. Shutting down businesses will affect every industry, not just hospitality and travel. If people can't work, they will not be able to support themselves or their families. We will have an economic depression the likes of which we have never seen before. And for what? A virus that is mild for most of us and we'll all end up getting anyway.

We should quarantine the immunocompromised and elderly only who are less likely to be working, everyone else continue working their jobs as before, let the illness run through us since it is mild for most of us, and any of us who get it and need hospitalized will be able to get medical treatment since we're protecting the people most at risk. In the meantime we can support ourselves financially. But this approach is moronic and will ultimately fail.
Yeah that's what a lot of people aren't getting.

This economic bust is going to hurt a lot more people a lot harder than covid-19 will.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:27 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,650,850 times
Do not say "We are deliberating causing an economic depression" . You should blame the Chinese Communist Tyranny of causing that depression. NOT US !!!

Old 03-19-2020, 10:27 AM

51,657 posts, read 25,882,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
My parents, aunts, uncles, and many friends fall into that "old people" category. I'd prefer to keep them around a bit longer and not have them taken out by what you and the rest of the mental midgets complaining about not being able to go to the bar or hang out at the club consider to be "a simple cold".

I've spent the past week at the hospital talking to doctors, nurses, and even a virologist who was eating lunch in the midst of his 20-hour shift trying to figure out how to stop this damn thing, and I've picked up a bit of knowledge on the subject. This isn't a simple cold, and it isn't the flu. There is no specific treatment, there is no vaccine, and it spreads aggressively.

Stop complaining about the fact that the government is actually doing something useful for a change and trying to keep us all from dying of our own stupidity, and start listening to what the experts who actually have a clue are telling you.

Keep your entitled ass at home, don't raid the grocery store for every gallon of milk, loaf of bread, and pack of toilet paper they have in stock. Don't go hang out at your buddy's house because he's having a "quarantine party," stay the hell away from people as much as possible, and maybe, just maybe, you and whatever older people who are in your life - you know, those expendable ones who you apparently don't give a rodent's rectum about - will survive. And by the way, it isn't just those "old people" who are susceptible. Young children, people recovering from surgeries (which category my daughter currently belongs to), people with ongoing health problems, etc., are all potential fatalities if they contract this virus.

In short, stop being an idiot.
Well put.

Anyone with a compromised immune system is at a higher risk.

Pregnant women have lowered immune response. If you don't want to take steps to protect your parents, your grandparents, how about your pregnant sister?

Old 03-19-2020, 10:29 AM

33,588 posts, read 18,205,953 times
What about the two old democrats running for president and the president? They are all over 70.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:31 AM

7,148 posts, read 12,694,343 times
Covid 19 is no respecter of or economic status. It's a virus that is morphing all the time...latest reports are showing it's affecting younger age groups very strongly.

Anyone can die from it, suffer from it--or spread it to their friends and loved ones.

So self-quarantine is protecting ALL of us. Including the OP.

Be smart. Not selfish. Even if YOU have a death wish.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:31 AM

25,461 posts, read 9,840,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Yeah that's what a lot of people aren't getting.

This economic bust is going to hurt a lot more people a lot harder than covid-19 will.
It's Covid-19 that is causing the economic bust. So they go hand-in-hand.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:32 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,463,631 times
I'm fully aware of what is going on. I can comprehend just what a pandemic is and something like this covid19 can spread to every corner of this world. This thing is going to have it's way with us. It's inevitable.

That being said what we need to do is isolate and protect the vulnerable and adhere to appropriate precautions and continue with our lives. This strangling of our economy is only exacerbating the problems created by this bug.

This insanity needs to stop.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:37 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,429,270 times
I honestly think media is to blame for a lot of this.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:38 AM

3,336 posts, read 1,969,212 times
“It’s people! Soylent Green is people!
Perhaps the OP and his ilk could make a fortune recycling old timers.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:39 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,888,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I'm fully aware of what is going on. I can comprehend just what a pandemic is and something like this covid19 can spread to every corner of this world. This thing is going to have it's way with us. It's inevitable.

That being said what we need to do is isolate and protect the vulnerable and adhere to appropriate precautions and continue with our lives. This strangling of our economy is only exacerbating the problems created by this bug.

This insanity needs to stop.
The OP doesn't care about the vulnerable. Their lives have no value to him. And it's due to people like him that we will have to shut the country down, because they refuse to care about anyone but themselves and won't willingly self-isolate.

In a perfect world we could trust people to care enough about one another to do the right thing, which would keep this from spreading too quickly. Unfortunately, draconian measures will be necessary precisely because there are too many like the OP out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies