Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 10:39 AM

25,449 posts, read 9,900,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I honestly think media is to blame for a lot of this.
Yeah, shame on the media for keeping us informed.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:42 AM

14,267 posts, read 7,021,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I believe what you are saying, but is this virus that much worse than all the previous ones in the not too distant past to justify this type of reaction, or over reaction? My instincts tell me no, and there are other motivations in place. None of them good for the U.S.
In short, YES. This virus is much worse. You can do your own reading on any major news outlet. That means NOT the political pundits, NOT opinion pieces, and certainly NOT Facebook.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:42 AM

8,508 posts, read 3,051,065 times
Not only nominated for dumbest thread of the year. But I would say that many would agree this is the dumbest thread of the year by far. Congrats on a level of such stupidity.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I'm fully aware of what is going on. I can comprehend just what a pandemic is and something like this covid19 can spread to every corner of this world. This thing is going to have it's way with us. It's inevitable.

That being said what we need to do is isolate and protect the vulnerable and adhere to appropriate precautions and continue with our lives. This strangling of our economy is only exacerbating the problems created by this bug.

This insanity needs to stop.
At this point we do not know exactly who is vulnerable. There are reports of healthy younger people ending up in ICU on ventilators. If they survive, some have lung damage. There hasn't been enough time yet to know if their lungs will ever heal.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:51 AM

14,831 posts, read 7,460,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
The OP doesn't care about the vulnerable. Their lives have no value to him. And it's due to people like him that we will have to shut the country down, because they refuse to care about anyone but themselves and won't willingly self-isolate.

In a perfect world we could trust people to care enough about one another to do the right thing, which would keep this from spreading too quickly. Unfortunately, draconian measures will be necessary precisely because there are too many like the OP out there.
No we need more like me.

I choose to live a healthy lifestyle that keeps my body strong and not vulnerable to disease.

Anyone can do the same (including older people).

Unfortunately we have a ton of obese, weak, unhealthy people in this country and that is why we are vulnerable to diseases like this.

And your statement about me not caring is simply incorrect. I've said before even though I'm fit and healthy I am willing to pay disproportionately more of my money to cover all of our sick people under a universal plan.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:53 AM

10,672 posts, read 6,148,386 times
As someone who still has grandparents, allow me to show anyone with that mentality the tallest finger on my hand...

Old 03-19-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
No we need more like me.

I choose to live a healthy lifestyle that keeps my body strong and not vulnerable to disease.

Unfortunately we have a ton of obese, weak, unhealthy people in this country and that is why we are vulnerable to diseases like this.
Young healthy people are getting this disease now, and not all of those are getting mild cases. Nobody is immune.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:54 AM

26,661 posts, read 13,852,506 times
An estimated 200,000 people all suddenly became unemployed in Colorado on Tuesday after businesses were ordered to close. Some have boarded up their windows, I suspect because they are worried about people looting eventually. What are the unemployment numbers people are seeing in their states?

We also heard that evictions won’t be enforced which is a great benefit for those who will not be able to pay their rent after losing their jobs but it places a tremendous burden on landlords.

We can’t hide our heads in the sand and pretend that there won’t be major, long term negative economic impacts.

We could see a major rise in homelessness, addiction, suicide, crime, etc. We need to concern ourselves with both health and our economy and not just shout down anyone who wants to talk about the economic part of the problem.

Last edited by MissTerri; 03-19-2020 at 11:11 AM..

Old 03-19-2020, 10:56 AM

8,970 posts, read 2,586,996 times
It's ridiculous overkill. The overreaction to COVID-19 will likely kill more people long term than the worst case scenario for the virus.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:56 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,910,604 times
Quote:
No we need more like me.

And your statement about me not caring is simply incorrect. I've said before even though I'm fit and healthy I am willing to pay disproportionately more of my money to cover all of our sick people under a universal plan.
But you're not willing to self-isolate to help vulnerable people remain alive. Sorry, but your self-centeredness oozes out of every one of your posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies