Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2020, 08:32 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

The point is there is enough data that it should be prescribed with risk and benefit discussed with each patient.
and there is nothing stopping them from doing just that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 08:38 AM

18,457 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
...I was just about to ask you if you're taking it

that's good news....and a relief
We knew about the positive results with the original SARS coronavirus from back in 2005, both as a treatment, and prophylactically. And the two mechanisms by which it worked, are not unique to SARS CoV, so logically, should work for this virus as well.

Now, as a man of science, it would be irresponsible to tell the world that it works for this virus, without further testing. But as a logical human being, it is easy to deduce that there is a high likelihood that it will. That, combined with the drug’s history, and relative safety profile in small doses, was enough to convince me to start taking it.

Here is the original NIH study I read from 2005 before I started taking it:

Keep in mind that this study was with chloroquine. Hydroxychloroquine has an even better safety profile.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1232869/

Old 03-22-2020, 08:40 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
We knew about the positive results with the original SARS coronavirus from back in 2005, both as a treatment, and prophylactically. And the two mechanisms by which it worked, are not unique to SARS CoV, so logically, should work for this virus as well.

Now, as a man of science, it would be irresponsible to tell the world that it works for this virus, without further testing. But as a logical human being, it is easy to deduce that there is a high likelihood that it will. That, combined with the drug’s history, and relative safety profile in small doses, was enough to convince me to start taking it.
I heard it can damage the retina, near the macula. Given that, I don't think people should take it as a preventive measure, only as a treatment.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:42 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:

Exactly. I get Fauci not going into BS salesperson mode like his boss...he's a scientist and a professional like yourself. But with this situation spiraling out of control, as long as the drug is not known to do any direct HARM, there really isn't much to lose at this point.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I heard it can damage the retina, near the macula. Given that, I don't think people should take it as a preventive measure, only as a treatment.
I don't think these side effects are very common. These drugs have been administered to our military for decades in areas where malaria is prevalent. If you read the black box warning label on ANY drug, you are discouraged from taking it. I mean, look at how many people are on incredibly addictive anxiety meds and ADHD meds which are basically just speed.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
It does. But, first of all, it is rare. Secondly, when it does happen, it is usually in people taking high doses over a long period of time (400mg daily over several years). A prophylactic dose of 200mg once a week would be highly unlikely for that to happen. Given that every day, I have potential exposure, the benefits far outweigh the risk.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
It does. But, first of all, it is rare. Secondly, when it does happen, it is usually in people taking high doses over a long period of time (400mg daily over several years). A prophylactic dose of 200mg once a week would be highly unlikely for that to happen. Given that every day, I have potential exposure, the benefits far outweigh the risk.
How are things looking in your hospital so far? I've seen some dire facebook postings from nurses in Nassau County on LI. Not good. especially the part about 21 year olds coming in in bad shape.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I don't think these side effects are very common. These drugs have been administered to our military for decades in areas where malaria is prevalent. If you read the black box warning label on ANY drug, you are discouraged from taking it. I mean, look at how many people are on incredibly addictive anxiety meds and ADHD meds which are basically just speed.
True; thanks.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Good points; thanks to you too.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
How are things looking in your hospital so far? I've seen some dire facebook postings from nurses in Nassau County on LI. Not good. especially the part about 21 year olds coming in in bad shape.
We are preparing. It does not look bad right now, but we have reports from other area hospitals that it goes from good, to very very bad, practically overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies