Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2020, 12:05 AM

45,675 posts, read 24,142,690 times

Advertisements

Trump lied again. Drug is not approved by him or anybody else. But Trump has a feeling this is the drug. With all his intelligence...he knows. Who knew to be a doctor you just have to be smart and have the right feelings?

FDA Commissioner Dr. Stephen Hahn emphasized that the drug still needs testing to determine if it can help patients. He said chloroquine would have to be tested in “a large pragmatic clinical trial to actually gather that information.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 12:42 AM

29,239 posts, read 22,516,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
and yet millions of people take it all the time for malaria.
How do you know that claim?

I had a friend who's now deceased (but not from malaria), who had malaria for years.
He was a world traveller and suffered an attack while he was staying with us.
When we took him to the hospital because he was running a high fever, the doctors didn't even know what he had until he could tell them. He was the first case any of the doctors here had ever seen.

No one recovers from malaria. Once a person has it, it's for life, and it comes and goes. The fever can kill you anytime it flares up.

Quinines, the most common drugs used to treat it, can cause leg thrombosis (blood clots in the veins) which can be lethal, and the drug is toxic in large doses. In low doses it slows catching the disease, but it is not a vaccine.

I think Trump is putting out false hope here. Chloroquine isn't FDA approved- way too new for that- and it may relieve symptoms, but I doubt it will stop the epidemic.

Old 03-21-2020, 01:57 AM

51,715 posts, read 26,006,974 times
Trump is flat out lying.

https://twitter.com/MaddowBlog/statu...84095302008835

Tape his daily talks. If anything is true, you could replay that portion later.

But these lies are giving people a false sense of security.

Old 03-21-2020, 01:58 AM

19,962 posts, read 22,906,257 times
He lies constantly. What is new?

Frankly I don’t care if unwashed morons take his BS to heart. That’s their own idiocy, not mine.

Old 03-21-2020, 03:11 AM

16,375 posts, read 10,543,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skezo View Post
It's a mixture. There are a lot out there who don't share your view as long as it hurts others and doesnt effect them too much. (There would be some the opposite direction if party in power was switched as well I'm sure)
Everyone is effected by this. There is a difference between being critical of the President for such things as making statements in his address to the nation that later needed to be walked back by the White House and actually wanting this crisis that is having an effect on all of us to continue. You need to understand the difference between being critical when it is warranted and wishing bad things on EVERYONE including ourselves. I highly doubt there are many libs who want this to continue just to spite Trump.

Old 03-21-2020, 03:59 AM

3,321 posts, read 1,108,118 times
And the world held it’s breath.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:12 AM

31,339 posts, read 14,406,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
“Very, Very Encouraging Early Results”.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...results-video/
A bit of good news in an otherwise dreadful week. Thanks for the post.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:15 AM

37,300 posts, read 41,549,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Reportedly China has been using this for months and claims it MAY reduce hospital time and improve outcomes. No one believes much coming out of China.

It is a cheap generic that is commonly prescribed to those intending to travel to countries or regions of countries where Malaria is common.
Multiple countries are testing the use of the drug, not just China, and I see no reason to doubt the results from China when they are supported by results from those countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

Now...how many deaths have there been from Covid-19 again??? Of course, since those 405,000 deaths of malaria occurred in Africa, nobody cares. Or notices.

It's not how many COVID-19 deaths there have been; it's how many there could be if nothing is done to slow the virus down.

I do not think it is fair to say no one cares or notices about malaria. There has been a tremendous effort to prevent and treat it and research on vaccines. In 2019 the US contributed almost a billion dollars to fighting malaria.

https://www.kff.org/global-health-po...lobal-malaria/

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 03-21-2020 at 05:25 AM..

Old 03-21-2020, 05:28 AM

16,786 posts, read 8,269,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
A bit of good news in an otherwise dreadful week. Thanks for the post.
Not a cure just a possible drug to ease the symptom's.

Might help to keep people breathing better.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:42 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,749,869 times
In the early stages of this crisis I posted a topic asking why Africa was being spared. Even now most sub Saharan African nations have few cases, and of those they were people coming from abroad. Most Africans take this malaria medication already....so it appears to work as a prophylactic against the virus. I am optimistic. China figured this out long ago. I don’t know why the US insists on trying to recreate the wheel all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies