Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 07:05 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,173,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
We should hold Trump's feet to the fire because he has made mistakes that have already resulted in the death of Americans. The most egregious is that his administration turned down a perfectly good test for COVID-19 from the World Health Organization.
I am so tired of hearing this. WHO never offered the USA the test kits because the USA has ALWAYS has developed their own in response to contagious diseases as we have the resources to do so and because of American laws and regulations have more stringent requirements. This happened during the H1N1 - see bolded below. At the time this was done WHO had H1N1 tests, but as always, we created our own because of FDA regulations.

Quote:
Contrary to Trump’s suggestion that the Obama administration did “nothing,” officials declared a public health emergency early in the H1N1 outbreak, secured funding from Congress and ultimately declared a national emergency.

On top of that, the CDC sequenced the new virus, created testing kits, and the Food and Drug Administration approved multiple vaccines, among other actions.

Rep. Michael Burgess, a Republican from Texas, praised the CDC at a House hearing in 2016 for quickly developing a vaccine for the swine flu in about six months — in time for the start of the school year in September 2009. “So that’s a 6-month time frame if I’m doing my math correctly that you were able to identify the genetic sequence of the virus, reverse engineer a vaccine, test it, assure its safety and efficacy, and get it to school teachers on the second week of school. That’s pretty impressive,” he said.
https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/tr...pandemic-spin/
What exactly has Trump done differently than the above?
Has Trump declared a national emergency? Yes
Is the CDC currently working on virus sequencing? Yes
Is the CDC working on a vaccine? Yes
Has special funding been secured from Congress? Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
So how did WHO manage to scrounge up the resources to develop, deliver, and train 60000 test kits to healthcare-weak countries before America was able to do the same for its own citizens?
The exact same way it occurred during H1N1 and other viral outbreaks, their hands aren’t as tied by a bunch of regulations.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:09 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,117,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I am so tired of hearing this. WHO never offered the USA the test kits because the USA has ALWAYS developed their own in response to contagious diseases as we have the resources to do so and because of American laws and regulations have more stringent requirements. This happened during the H1N1 - see bolded below. At the time this was done WHO had H1N1 tests, but as always, we created our own because of FDA regulations.

So how was the WHO able to develop their testing kids so much quicker than the US? What about SK, they were testing 15k/day before we had a ready supply of kits to use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 07:12 AM

Quote:
So how was the WHO able to develop their testing kids so much quicker than the US? What about SK, they were testing 15k/day before we had a ready supply of kits to use?
Read above - it has happened with every single viral outbreak in the last 40-50 years. Every blasted one. You want to be outraged? Be outraged at the over-the-top regulations and demand your elected Congresspersons changed them before the next superbug emerges. I am old enough to understand why this happened, I had classmates missing limbs, but I too think the original safeguards have morphed into an untenable burden. This is something we should all be able to agree on.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I am so tired of hearing this. WHO never offered the USA the test kits because the USA has ALWAYS has developed their own in response to contagious diseases as we have the resources to do so and because of American laws and regulations have more stringent requirements. This happened during the H1N1 - see bolded below. At the time this was done WHO had H1N1 tests, but as always, we created our own because of FDA regulations.

Has special funding been secured from Congress? Yes
The exact same way it occurred during H1N1 and other viral outbreaks, their hands aren’t as tied by a bunch of regulations.
And you don't think there's ANYTHING the President could've done to fast track development of a testing kit that cut through the regulations? Nothing in his powers that gives him the authority to override those regulating, especially during an emergency?

Old 03-20-2020, 07:20 AM

17,810 posts, read 13,713,201 times
Quote:
And you don't think there's ANYTHING the President could've done to fast track development of a testing kit that cut through the regulations? Nothing in his powers that gives him the authority to override those regulating, especially during an emergency?
Why would Trump "fast track" anything when he was convinced that this was no big thing and that the virus was essentially a "democrat" scare tactic.

Sadly, the old Hag and all her rightie friends are unwilling to admit that this was Trump's perspective as late as two weeks ago and instead are going with this "Trump had his hands tied" nonsense.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Why would Trump "fast track" anything when he was convinced that this was no big thing and that the virus was essentially a "democrat" scare tactic.

Sadly, the old Hag and all her rightie friends are unwilling to admit that this was Trump's perspective as late as two weeks ago and instead are going with this "Trump had his hands tied" nonsense.
And the other dumb excuse they use is that he didn't do more bc Dems were calling him racist... Ok. Who?

Or that Trump was doing everything he could like a putting in place a travel ban... Ok. What else?

The amount of cover they've give Trump for screwing up is pathetic.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:32 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times
Quote:

No matter how much excrement Trump fans try to fling to blame Obama or hype up Trump's actions after he finally stopped calling the concern about the virus a Democrat hoax, ...the damage was done. He is done. He is on record saying this whole thing will magically go away. His biggest confidant Sean Hannity called it a hoax DIRECTLY with no qualifications. Hannity and Trump should be co-hosting a right wing pod-cast to their worshippers by this time next year if there's any justice.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:33 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times
Quote:
And the other dumb excuse they use is that he didn't do more bc Dems were calling him racist... Ok. Who?

Or that Trump was doing everything he could like a putting in place a travel ban... Ok. What else?

The amount of cover they've give Trump for screwing up is pathetic.
Many right wingers still think liberals and Democrats are a bigger threat than the virus. That''s the bottom line. shows how down the rabbit hole many have gone. Virus is a hoax to take their orange messiah and guns away. complete idiots.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:

First, just to be very clear, I have never voted for Trump, in the past I have voted for Democrats as much as Republicans, and if there was an option on the Democratic side other than a guy who clearly had dementia or a communist I would probably vote for that person in 2020. As is, I will most likely again vote 3rd Party, so this has nothing to do with blind defense of Trump. Too many are allowing their hatred of Trump to automatically color everything they hear or see on the news.

Second, until that national emergency was called his hands were tied.

Third, have you conveniently forgotten all the cries that his travel ban was xenophobic AND the subsequent Democratic bill to bar him from making any travel bans, that has mysteriously disappeared?

https://youtu.be/aAdzW-mRKTk

https://www.statnews.com/2020/01/31/...-would-suffer/

Old 03-20-2020, 07:47 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,668,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Many right wingers still think liberals and Democrats are a bigger threat than the virus. That''s the bottom line. shows how down the rabbit hole many have gone. Virus is a hoax to take their orange messiah and guns away. complete idiots.
Are you mad now b/c anti-gun liberals are rushing out to buy guns ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies