Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2020, 04:32 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post

I make a lot more than the pickle tosser at McD's. The fact is that I can do his job easily, but he certainly can't do mine, thus I make a higher wage.

Advancing ones education, training, and skills is the American way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 04:58 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally Salmon View Post
And when nobody visits the businesses because of the virus then the economy will still suffer. Most people are not going to go out at the expense of their health and what their lives all for getting a haircut or a beer.

Old 05-03-2020, 05:58 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
I'm ready for things to open up if anything to get some these people out of the natural areas. I cannot believe how crowded the natural areas I frequent have become, and not with the kind of people I typically encounter - quiet, respectful, educated, etc.

Now, we're scraping the bottom of the barrel with loud, smoking, trash-throwing, really white trash type people. There is trash everywhere and I even saw someone had started a fire at some point. I had no idea these kind of people lived around my area - have never encountered them before.

Really informative!

Old 05-03-2020, 06:04 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I just want to know why so many people are too stupid to think for themselves. Do people really need the government to tell them how to live?

If someone doesn't think a business is essential, then don't fricken go there!

If someone is afraid that by others going into that "non essential" business, it means that they, themselves, will be infected, then they can stay inside and live in fear until they, themselves, deem it okay to go to said "unessential" businesses.

Your mommy already told you to wash your hands after touching things and before eating. Your mommy already told you how to clean your house. Your mommy already told you to cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze. Your mommy already told you not to hang out with sick people. But now, some people need the government to tell them these things?

No one needs the government to tell them how to practice good hygiene or how to stay away from people. No one. If people choose to continue touching anything and everything out in public, and then not wash their hands, that's on them. NO ONE ELSE. If someone wants to take the risk and go to a "non essential" business, that's on them, it is not for anyone, nor the government, to dictate to others how they think people "should" do things.

See how easy that is? And I didn't need to lock anyone down to spread that wealth of information.

You (general) worry about protecting yourself, and stop being tyrants trying to force others to live how you live.
I would agree except for me to be able to go into the business, it has to be staffed. So you're talking about forcing them to work - they don't get the choice.

Old 05-03-2020, 06:13 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
I'm not harping on anything. It's simply a fact. Low skill levels, doing nothing that anyone off the street can't do is not going to get a good wage. Start making demands and you'll soon find yourself on the street as you're easily replaced. I make a lot more than the pickle tosser at McD's. The fact is that I can do his job easily, but he certainly can't do mine, thus I make a higher wage.

Then develop unique skills which provide more choice in the work environment.

How much research did he do into the value of such a degree before pursuing one? What does he offer an employer when sitting down at the hiring table? Can he do things that every other applicant cannot do?

I applaud a strong work ethic and will give him credit for that. I started off washing pots in a hospital kitchen for $2.76/hr. That sucked a lot more than fitting room problems.

Would you advocate the tax payer pay them to sit at home forever?
All of your suggestions are good ideas in a normal situation. This isn't about not finding a job in a specific career. It's about finding a job duirng the worst econmomic situation we have seen in many years. You are naive to think that even the most lucrative jobs are hiring significantly right now.

Not finding a job in the last three months is not indicative of choosing a career that is not lucrative.

My point was that RIGHT NOW...he doesn't have choices. Very few people are hiring in most fields -- except low income fields that have a high exposure to the general public.

And NO I do not advocate collecting unemployment when a job could be had. This is unusual circumstances and folks that didn't have many choices before have almost none now.

I was just trying to show that right now many do not have many choices.....

Old 05-03-2020, 08:02 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
I'm not harping on anything. It's simply a fact. Low skill levels, doing nothing that anyone off the street can't do is not going to get a good wage. Start making demands and you'll soon find yourself on the street as you're easily replaced. I make a lot more than the pickle tosser at McD's. The fact is that I can do his job easily, but he certainly can't do mine, thus I make a higher wage.
Well here's the deal. We can legislate that these businesses can't pay such low wages that taxpayers are providing a subsidy via assistance for their profits. If a business doesn't want to pay a living wage to its workers, it can go without such people as janitors, cashiers, etc., and see how long customers continue to come in.

I wouldn't want to eat food prepared by someone who's treated poorly and unhappy about their job.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:14 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
There are a lot of reasons why it wouldn’t work here. First up is the liberals’ love for illegal aliens, and their bribes of free college and free health care to come here. We have far too many poor people as it is without instituting a complete giveaway nation.
I've never heard of anyone who has this love. What makes sense is to treat people fairly. Nobody is bribing people to come here with offers of free college and health care. How do you come up with these ideas? But again, I may have a different perspective because I doubt there is a single illegal alien in my county, so it isn't something I worry about.

Quote:
All because you say so, correct? Rights be damned, the Village Idiot hath proclaimed - based on his feels - so we must OBEY!

I beg to differ.
Not because I say so, but because the governor of my state has mandated it. I had a discussion about this in my local Walmart today. About 95% of the people in the store were wearing masks. She told me a woman screamed at four young girls earlier because none were wearing masks. She said the store was not supposed to allow them in without a mask.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:15 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Well here's the deal. We can legislate that these businesses can't pay such low wages that taxpayers are providing a subsidy via assistance for their profits. If a business doesn't want to pay a living wage to its workers, it can go without such people as janitors, cashiers, etc., and see how long customers continue to come in.

I wouldn't want to eat food prepared by someone who's treated poorly and unhappy about their job.
Workers' pay is between the worker and the employer. The govt has no place at the bargaining table and the taxpayers have no role in providing any part of it. How about not providing any assistance to those employed, thus forcing them to either negotiate better terms themselves knowing that the paycheck they get is all they get, or motivate them to find a better job (and perhaps push the necessity to develop more useful skills)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Not because I say so, but because the governor of my state has mandated it. I had a discussion about this in my local Walmart today. About 95% of the people in the store were wearing masks. She told me a woman screamed at four young girls earlier because none were wearing masks. She said the store was not supposed to allow them in without a mask.
The governor of your state is also an idiot then. I know our governor is. It's still one individual pushing an agenda based on personal misbelief.

That woman should have been thrown out and banned for harassing other customers.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:31 PM

7,118 posts, read 4,540,768 times
It’s sad to see threads turn political and people making assumptions about one another. All conservative Republicans or Democrats are not for the same things just not like not all liberals are. Despite some people making more on unemployment they will go back to work when called because they would lose their unemployment. Look at the Bell curve. That shows the range of IQ so some people will get trained and benefit. For others it’s not possible and some capable people aren’t motivated. I wish everyone would try to understand other’s point of view. I am sometimes guilty of this too.

Old 05-04-2020, 12:36 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
That woman should have been thrown out and banned for harassing other customers.
No, those customers without masks should have been thrown out for being socially irresponsible and endangering the lives of others. Eventually, people not in compliance who continue to put others at risk will need to be fined.

The purpose of wearing a mask is to protect against YOUR germs from spewing into the air infecting someone else. You could very well be an asymptomatic Typhoid Harry/Mary infecting anyone you come in contact with, contaminating the air you breathe, yet never come down with the disease yourself.

The patrons of that store don't need your germs circulating through its HVAC system infecting others. Clearly, you haven't done much reading on this issue.

https://www.businessinsider.com/air-...n-again-2020-4

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/scie...tance-and-stay

You should not want want others to breathe your germs, and you certainly shouldn't want to be breathing theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies