Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2020, 07:00 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
When folks from Wayne County, or some other hot spot, head up to their cottages in tiny lake towns to the north - where there are VERY limited medical resources - and start spreading the virus there, how do you suppose that works out for that small community?

The same thing would apply to any sort of vacation/resort town where the population swells dramatically between "in-season" and the rest of the year. The medical resources aren't scaled to fit the peak, they're sized for the mean.
Case in point. Truckee CA, not all that far from where I am in NV is now a hotspot. The Tahoe/Truckee area actually. Because all the Bay Area types ran up there thinking they'd flee to the mountains.

I guess it never occurred to them that towns like Truckee and Tahoe aren't exactly remote cabins in the woods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2020, 07:22 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Case in point. Truckee CA, not all that far from where I am in NV is now a hotspot. The Tahoe/Truckee area actually. Because all the Bay Area types ran up there thinking they'd flee to the mountains.

I guess it never occurred to them that towns like Truckee and Tahoe aren't exactly remote cabins in the woods.

Bingo.

I wonder how many ICU beds and ventilators there are in Truckee? This isn't rocket surgery as to why government is trying to limit travel.

IT'S. LITERALLY. HOW. THE. VIRUS. SPREADS. IN. A. PANDEMIC.

...This may lead some to think that the social distancing measures are not working. They are.

They may feel futile. They aren’t.

You will feel discouraged. You should.

This is normal in chaos. This is the normal epidemic trajectory. Stay calm.

The enemy we are facing is very good at what it does; we are not failing. We need everyone to hold the line as the epidemic inevitably gets worse.

This is not an opinion. This is the unforgiving math of epidemics for which I and my colleagues have dedicated our lives to understanding with great nuance, and this disease is no exception

https://metropole.at/open-letter-yale-epidemologist/

Old 04-13-2020, 07:30 AM

35,074 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I dont think we are ready for that yet, give it a couple more months and I think they will be trying to re open places, but I think it will be SLOW going, many people are not going to trust getting close to people again in social settings..
If people want to isolate themselves, I suppose they can. Just don't force it on others.

Old 04-13-2020, 07:32 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Shelter in place was to hard to understand.

Old 04-13-2020, 08:13 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Maybe because those countries are fine with being completely locked down. For better or worse, Americans are not too fond of it

My son in the Greater Manila Area has to get a pass from his Barangay Captain and one member of the family is allowed to the market on Wednesday and Saturday. And that is a nation with a much lower percentage of private vehicles, so we are not talking about a Costco load up when they are allowed out of lock down.

Old 04-13-2020, 08:35 AM

5,111 posts, read 2,052,447 times
We might get some unintended consequences from what I saw on that vlog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkoR2zthUVE

Old 04-13-2020, 09:55 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
great - what news, so we can go link the video.

of course there'd be more than 20 cars in the parking lot. They all drive there separately as well.
It was Channel 17, Raleigh news, but can't find the video today. Morning news. I'd wear a mask out right now to any place where people could be, that's me though. If people don't have one, they can use a bandanna or something like that.

Old 04-13-2020, 10:29 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
If people want to isolate themselves, I suppose they can. Just don't force it on others.
The state govts cannot really take that chance, if people start getting infected after re opening, it will all fall on them. Originally I was thinking this would last about 6-8 months, but now Im thinking it may last until a vaccine is available.

Old 04-13-2020, 11:59 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,018,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
We might get some unintended consequences from what I saw on that vlog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkoR2zthUVE
We are better off that they closed/are closing. They are entirely 100% owned by CHINA.

https://www.smithfieldfoods.com/madeinusa

Quote:
The company was founded in Smithfield, Virginia, in 1936 and was acquired by Hong Kong-based WH Group in 2013.
The USA needs to bring all this stuff back to only being owned by us, not foreign countries.

Old 04-13-2020, 06:47 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
We are better off that they closed/are closing. They are entirely 100% owned by CHINA.

https://www.smithfieldfoods.com/madeinusa

The USA needs to bring all this stuff back to only being owned by us, not foreign countries.
So where are the US investors when it was for sale? Why don't they build a competing company? But their money where their mouth is.

You know and I know it won't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies