Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 12:53 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
think they need to tighten up and do by cell phone- put in those securities in place like bankers, and get her done,,, its coming anyways
No. We need to make the act of voting more thoughtful and intentional, not less so.

Look at all these stupid petitions floating around on the internet, thoughtless, useless ideas that get thousands of signatures from people who are sitting in their living rooms clicking on stuff they know nothing about.

I personally think when you go vote, you should have to type in the name of the person you're voting for. And in the propositions, it should say Prop #____ and you should have to type that in. Misspellings can be handled by a google type format, where if you misspell it or put in the wrong prop number, a prompt, "did you mean" will come up. Of course, you can take your notes into the booth - no need to memorize all the candidates.

Way too many people go to vote for something they care about and know about, and end up voting for all those judges and commissioners and school board candidates where they have zero input and they just pick a name that sounds good to them, or a gender.

You should have put some knowledge into the game to be able to vote, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 12:54 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
The GOP cannot win when voting is easy and accessible. Big voter turnout is their enemy and mail in voting will obliterate them.

Old 03-25-2020, 12:57 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
And what systems are in place to confirm that the mail in ballots are from actual US citizens, or from citizens that are still alive & breathing?
First, they are sent to the address at which the voter is registered. The status of the voter is established at the time of registration. The ballot envelope cannot be forwarded. If a voter does not receive their ballot, for example, they moved and didn't inform the Board, they must present themselves in person. The outer envelope must be signed by the voter and that signature is compared to the voter's registration card just as it is done for in-person voting. The envelope must show no sign of tampering.

Weeks in advance of the election each registered voter receives a voter's information book with statements by each candidate and statements by their supporters, and the text of any issues on the ballot as well as statements for and against. Oregon wants a fair election and an informed electorate.

We have been voting by mail for about 20 years. To the best of my knowledge, only a couple of attempts have been made to impersonate a voter.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 03-25-2020 at 01:06 PM..

Old 03-25-2020, 01:00 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Actually, according to this, what I am is a permanent absentee ballot voter:

Permanent absentee voting: A voter can sign up once to receive an absentee ballot and will receive absentee ballots in all future elections. Vote by mail: All registered voters in the jurisdiction are mailed a ballot.
https://www.eac.gov/documents/2017/1...utory-overview

Old 03-25-2020, 01:02 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
First, they are sent to the address at which the voter is registered. It cannot be forwarded. The outer envelope must be signed by the voter and that signature is compared to the voter's registration card. The envelope must show no sign of tampering.
Yeah.... but, I mean..... other than those things what's being done?

Old 03-25-2020, 01:07 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
America as an idea is great,but in practice its been ruined by politicians and voters like yourself.
That's one person's opinion.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
In other words you have nothing of substance to say so instead you'll throw out some silly drama. Understood.

It's about the topic of conversation and nothing else.
Thanks for your input. I'll cheerfully disregard it, and say what I please.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
The same systems that vet those things for in person voting in a given state, I'd suspect.
I wouldn't.

If your name is attached to the ballot somehow when you mail it in, then you don't have a secret ballot, do you?

I don't know how Oregon and other states handle authentication. I suspect it's pretty lax, though, for the above reason.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Is it that people are so dumb that they can't figure out that mail ins are where the fraud is or is it that they are so easily misled?
It doesn't have to be one or the other. It can be both.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:11 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/...73156776378371

Colorado, Oregon, Washington, and California all allow voting by mail and have had no issues. In fact turnout has increased since it's been allowed. Unless he's saying he prefers lower turnout and discouragement of voting by reducing the opportunity of the people to vote?
Of course that’s what he means.

It’s been obvious to the GOP for years that suppressing turnout is how they have to win given their dwindling appeal.

Nearly every voting reform measure introduced by the GOP in the last few years has had this as the overall goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies