Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 06:48 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I find it strange that people dont see anything suspicious in this, and simply accept the hyper-authoritarian government actions and astronomical bailouts.

The above includes all the fair weather conservatives who are constantly complaining about food-stamps etc, and all of a sudden they are all for a massive government intervention.

This is how easily a government can take full control of the nation, and all of its people and make them dependent on government hand-outs. This could be a practice run for something even bigger, - a global elite take-over of most of the world.
Exactly right. I don't expect a whole lot from many on the left on here, but I've been pretty...not shocked, but confused to see so many on the right going along with all of this, "for the common good".

Makes me want to puke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 08:21 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
This doctor on the front lines knows the truth and will tell you what you need to know. No fear mongering. Pass the link on to your friends and family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp_O5DIYvzg
This was very informative. Thank you for posting. It’s nice to have a working perspective from someone that is in the bubble, not outside looking in.

Sounds like a lot of those going to the hospital do not need to be there.

The panic that has been thrown at us has caused a rush on hospitals. This doctor specifically says 80-90% of those that get it should just stay home, self isolate from their families and ride it out. Only, ONLY, if you have difficulty breathing, go to the hospital.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:24 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
In the Philippines hospitals are refusing to take in coronavirus patients in this hoax to defeat Trump in November.

Old 03-29-2020, 02:27 AM

15,093 posts, read 8,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Please look at the r-naught value, understand what it means, and then look at the doubling rate of confirmed cases.

Oh, that reminds me - the numbers we have are CONFIRMED cases. Not the number of infections. If you truly understood how this spreads, you'd understand that there's a very, very big difference between the two. You'd also have more concern about it than you presently do.
Problem with your assessments, and that of the talking heads spreading panic is that “logically” and “rationally” statistics are inherently flawed, and subject to easy manipulation, depending on what story you wish to tell. In truth, there is no real way of determining the claims being made relative to mortality rates, number of current infections, or the rate of new infections, because there is no baseline to measure against, given the small numbers of those tested for the virus compared to the population at large. You only know the number of infections that have been tested and confirmed at whatever point you begin measuring. The truth is, you can take the same data points and two different groups can reach totally opposing conclusions, and make reasonably plausible arguments on both sides. This is why the old adage exists .... there are lies, damned lies, and then statistics.

I have a much different way of assessing the situation, which doesn’t require belief in wild conspiracy theories ... just plain old common sense, rational perspective, and historical evidence, which long ago led me to the inescapable conclusion that the mainstream establishment, be they the politicians, corporations, etc., don’t give a rats azz about your grandma. And by their own contentions, the great danger posed by the virus is predominantly among the elderly, and not so much so for healthy young and middle aged adults.

But if you really believe that the boys on Capitol Hill, those Lab Coat Cowboys at the CDC, and the brew masters at Merck pharmaceutical actually care about you, or your grandma, to the extent that they are willing to implode the US Economy just to keep the old folks protected .... well, I believe it could be you wearing the tin foil hat.

Old 03-29-2020, 02:32 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Problem with your assessments, and that of the talking heads spreading panic is that “logically” and “rationally” statistics are inherently flawed, and subject to easy manipulation, depending on what story you wish to tell. In truth, there is no real way of determining the claims being made relative to mortality rates, number of current infections, or the rate of new infections, because there is no baseline to measure against, given the small numbers of those tested for the virus compared to the population at large. You only know the number of infections that have been tested and confirmed at whatever point you begin measuring. The truth is, you can take the same data points and two different groups can reach totally opposing conclusions, and make reasonably plausible arguments on both sides. This is why the old adage exists .... there are lies, damned lies, and then statistics.

I have a much different way of assessing the situation, which doesn’t require belief in wild conspiracy theories ... just plain old common sense, rational perspective, and historical evidence, which long ago led me to the inescapable conclusion that the mainstream establishment, be they the politicians, corporations, etc., don’t give a rats azz about your grandma. And by their own contentions, the great danger posed by the virus is predominantly among the elderly, and not so much so for healthy young and middle aged adults.

But if you really believe that the boys on Capitol Hill, those Lab Coat Cowboys at the CDC, and the brew masters at Merck pharmaceutical actually care about you, or your grandma, to the extent that they are willing to implode the US Economy just to keep the old folks protected .... well, I believe it could be you wearing the tin foil hat.
But it is not just the US taking these actions.

Old 03-29-2020, 03:11 AM

15,093 posts, read 8,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Exactly right. I don't expect a whole lot from many on the left on here, but I've been pretty...not shocked, but confused to see so many on the right going along with all of this, "for the common good".

Makes me want to puke.
There is a no win situation here in how to handle this “pandemic”, because it was destined to be politicized...

Trump is smart enough to understand that no matter what actions are taken, the left will try to capitalize on it as either overreacting, which was the first response to the suspending of air travel between China and the US, while now, those same voices claim that such action should have been taken sooner. It’s the old, heads I win, tails you lose coin toss.

With the mainstream media successfully convincing the general public that we are facing an almost certain zombie apocalypse should drastic measures not be taken, maintaining a more measured response has become politically impossible.

If there is blame to be assigned, a good place to start is on the lemmings fighting over a roll of toilet paper, because such a mindset is ripe for manipulation, and the manipulators know just how to do it.

Old 03-29-2020, 03:48 AM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
As the link explains, there are pandemics every year which kill far more people. The only thing different this time is the panic reaction.
We have no idea how many will be killed by this virus....There are 494,539 active cases and still growing fast. So far only 173,812 closed cases of these 142,785 recovered and 31,027 died for a death rate of 18%.... As of March 28th 2,229 have died in the US, more than double the number you posted two days ago....This thing is just getting started.

Old 03-29-2020, 07:13 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Oh so if 22,000 people die from something that's known, that's ok because we know it. But if 2,000 people die from an unknown, that means we have to destroy our economy and ignore half the U.S. Constitution.

Not around here, most everyone I know who doesn't get the flu shot, doesn't get sick, most that that get it, including me the years I used to get one, they get sick. Maybe not flu-sick, but something that takes them (and formerly me) down for 3-5 days.
This is precisely why I think after this is all over and done with, we may go thru similar shut downs annually, due to flu strains. I think social distancing is here to stay, and will probably be strictly enforced in the future.

Old 03-29-2020, 07:18 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
I saw a quote that I think makes perfect sense...

"Those that can make you believe absurdities, can also make you commit atrocities".

-Voltaire

Old 03-29-2020, 10:37 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You folks go ahead with the rampant skepticism.

Me? I’m gonna follow the directions of the experts.
You are part of the solution. Kudos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies