Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 10:45 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,939,614 times

Advertisements

I think its pretty crazy how white liberals in California, which never even had slaves feel such guilty over the past, thing that happened hundreds of years ago. I'm from Louisiana and I don't know a single white person who has expressed this kind of guilt over slavery. I even have friends whose ancestors did own slaves but even they say it was just part of history. They're not proud of it, not ashamed of it, their ancestors followed the laws and standards of THEIR TIME, the past is the past. I'm not white but I don't disagree with this. A white person actually shouldn't have to be ashamed of having slave owning ancestors unless their ancestors treated their slaves poorly even by the standards of the 1800s

Its good that slavery and Jim Crow are over, if only blacks could keep themselves from being constantly riled up by white liberals from out of state for political purposes into obsessing about the past. Even if a white person's direct ancestors owned slaves, they themselves are not responsible. Do OJ Simpson's kids owe anything to the kids of his victims?

As for reparations, the way I see it, the purpose of reparations is to undo the effects of the wrong, to make it as if the wrong never occurred. The liberals would have you believe that if it wasn't for slavery, every slave descendant would be $1.2 million richer than they are now, even when white cisgender heterosexual males who have never suffered any discrimination of any kind usually don't have $1.2 million. If it wasn't for slavery, they wouldn't even be here.

So here is MY proposal for reparations to best undo the effects of slavery.

- Every black person will be offered a free, government-chartered flight back to the African destination of their choice, preferably the African country their ancestors were taken from
- They will be allowed to liquidate their assets in the US tax free and take back to Africa with them
- In return they will renounce their U.S. citizenship and not be allowed to return to the US again....the US will negotiate for African citizenship on their behalf

They will be living like kings and queens in Africa, whereas if their ancestors never left Africa, they would still be living in thatched huts or tin shacks and digging a hole in the ground for a toilet. So even in this situation they would have benefited from being in America.

So the past is the past. We all move on. A Southerner can take pride in the history of Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson, and MLK all at once. This way we can really push for a color blind society and be on American people. While people shouldn't be proud of slavery but not ashamed of it either, but should be glad its over, and that Jim Crow is over. And people like Al Sharpton should think about whether they wish slavery never happened.

Old 05-10-2023, 11:01 PM

35,715 posts, read 21,081,460 times
And they claim the Jim Crow era is dead. Pfft

Old 05-10-2023, 11:04 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,939,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
And they claim the Jim Crow era is dead. Pfft
Did you even read my post. Nobody is advocating that Jim Crow be brought back. But to you, unless we agree to $1.2 million in reparation ,have CRT shoved down our throats and insist that Cleopatra, Jesus, and Santa Claus were all black, then we support Jim Crow?

Old 05-10-2023, 11:29 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,270,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
In return they will renounce their U.S. citizenship and not be allowed to return to the US again....the US will negotiate for African citizenship on their behalf...
Lol, what the hell? African Americans who have been here for hundreds of years... are not Africans. They are Americans. And either way, why would they "not be allowed to return to the US again"? WTF?

I'm European American, and I don't think that either side of my family has been over here as long as some black families have. The first slaves arrived in Virginia in the year 1619- over 400 years ago.

Quote:
...and insist that Cleopatra, Jesus, and Santa Claus were all black...
Jesus and Santa Claus are fictional...

As for Cleopatra, I can't say that I'm the definitive expert on the exact tone of what someone's skin was, who lived 2,000 years ago. I mean, were you there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorblaggins View Post
First of all, black folks that descended from slavery, have no place in Africa, as their African roots were violently ripped away. They started from scratch in this country. American black culture is the most American in the world. From Jazz, to funk, to hiphop, to soul, to RnB. This inspired many people around the world.
This.

Old 05-10-2023, 11:32 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times
Imagine if you were one of the people you so obviously disparage, for just a moment. For just a moment.

I was not the LEAST bit surprised that you described your location as "The Heart of Dixie" rather than, say, Jackson or Atlanta, or whatever area you are from. Telling.

Old 05-10-2023, 11:34 PM

35,715 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:
Did you even read my post. Nobody is advocating that Jim Crow be brought back. But to you, unless we agree to $1.2 million in reparation ,have CRT shoved down our throats and insist that Cleopatra, Jesus, and Santa Claus were all black, then we support Jim Crow?
First of all, the money part, is not something I advocate for. If they destroyed a family business because of a racist act, then ok. That’s not every one in the neighborhood. CRT was not shoved down everyone’s throat. Where you pushed to take that course in college? Doubt it. Was history tweaked? Oh yes, I’m 70 - know enough to know - I remember 1964 .
And Jim Crow mentality has never left. Cleopatra was a boring history show, watched it today. She probably was dark skinned, but some say statues of her showed her short n fat and not a beauty queen. But let’s face it, we think “Cleopatra” we see Liz Taylor. It’s imbedded in our brains!! We would have never considered her to be some dark skinned middle easterner. The show did say they have no idea what race or skin color she had, as didn’t know where her mother was from nor is there a tomb. Jesus was a Jew of his time, probably dark skin middle easterner. Santa was an European, but he is make believe so can be any color. Why do you care ?

Old 05-10-2023, 11:40 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,270,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
First of all, the money part, is not something I advocate for. If they destroyed a family business because of a racist act, then ok. That’s not every one in the neighborhood. CRT was not shoved down everyone’s throat. We’re you pushed to take that course in college? Doubt it. Was history tweaked. Oh yes, I’m 70 - know enough.
And Jim Crow mentality has never left. Cleopatra was a boring history show, watched it today. She probably was dark skinned, but some say statues of her showed her short n fat and not a beauty queen. But let’s face it, we think “Cleopatra” we see Liz Taylor. It’s imbedded in our brains!! We would have never considered her to be some dark skinned middle easterner. The show did say they have no idea what race or skin color she had, as didn’t know where her mother was from nor is there a tomb. Jesus was. Jew of his time, probably dark skin middle easterner. Santa was an European, but he is make believe so can be any color. What do you care ???
I doubt she looked anything like Elizabeth Taylor. And I doubt that she would have looked like she was from Sweden or something. She was probably some average southern European or northern African skin tone.

Old 05-10-2023, 11:49 PM

52,293 posts, read 52,734,263 times
In 2023 only a non-white could come up with this thread.

Old 05-10-2023, 11:51 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
In 2023 only a non-white could come up with this thread.
Amusing, that you're calling the OP nonwhite.

Game on.

Old 05-10-2023, 11:53 PM

52,293 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Amusing, that you're calling the OP nonwhite.

Game on.
The op is Asian if i recall correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies