Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 05:05 AM

8,002 posts, read 3,528,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
And they claim the Jim Crow era is dead. Pfft
People do claim that, correctly I might add. What specifically did the OP say that would suggest otherwise?

Old 05-11-2023, 05:24 AM

8,885 posts, read 4,610,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Lol, what the hell? African Americans who have been here for hundreds of years... are not Africans. They are Americans. And either way, why would they "not be allowed to return to the US again"? WTF?

I'm European American, and I don't think that either side of my family has been over here as long as some black families have. The first slaves arrived in Virginia in the year 1619- over 400 years ago.

{snip}
As to the bolded, it seems clear, just from the term "African American" that they identify first as African.
Self identifying as "black" or "colored" or "negro" or "person of color" apparently was not specific enough about their origins and loyalty.

Old 05-11-2023, 05:34 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,690,279 times
Honest question regarding the discussion of reparations. Would all of the descendants of the free black slave owners be required to pay reparations as well or is that limited to whites only?

The fact that we even still talk about slavery is stupid. We're past that in history. The only way to solve this "problem" is to stop talking about it. There is no other solution that will work to advance us as one society. We're all on about as equal footing as we can hope to be on today. Use that and let's move on and stop with the "us vs them" mentality that so many still have.

Old 05-11-2023, 05:36 AM

50,432 posts, read 64,199,369 times
I can agree with op on a few things. If my ancestors were slaves from Africa, I would honor their sacrifices and thank god that I wound up in America instead of a mud hut in Africa.

Lots of nationalities suffered mistreatment after coming here, but they prospered, instead of practicing victimhood. Plenty of black families are thriving today, because they didn’t buy into the victim mentality.

I think every living slave owner should pay reparations to every living former slave. Otherwise, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.