Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 10:13 AM

13,623 posts, read 4,940,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
There's a thousand questions that could be asked about the way we have been doing business in this country, that this virus has brought to the forefront. A few to start:

1. How smart is it to have a secretive and violent communist enemy country make our life saving drugs, medical equipment and homeland security technology?

2. How smart is it to go hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt for a college degree when you can do it cheaper online?

3. How smart is it to allow criminally and medically unvetted illegals to enter our country?

4. How many people in this country can't sit still long enough to actually face themselves in the mirror?

5. Just how corrupt, biased and agenda driven is our media?

6. Why can't our politicians put out a bill to help citizens and businesses without including useless pork, even during a life and death, world wide pandemic? We couldn't they do that? Why couldn't they do the right thing, just one time?

7. Why are we still buying oil from other countries when we have the capacity to be oil independent, and when energy independence is a homeland security issue?

8. Just how many entities (not the least of which is the W.H.O.) are the b*tches of the Chinese Communist Party anyway?

You're absolutely right Rachel. The question of how do we prioritize when it comes to ventilators is valid, particularly in the bigger picture of border security and illegal immigration. I'm a legal immigrant here (now American citizen) and I have zero sympathy or empathy for illegals.

I despise those who think that the laws don't apply to them and that they have the RIGHT to jump the line when there are literally millions all over the world who are standing in line, going through the tedious legal immigration process, and are waiting their turn. I despise their enablers on both sides of the border. And I despise those who would call me a racist because I believe in the secure borders of a sovereign nation and an orderly legal immigration process.

But I also despise the mud that some people are wallowing in, in order to make a political point on this forum. People are dying all around us. This country is crippled. The world is crippled. You know what I despise right now? The Communist Party of China. I'll keep my loathing focused on them and the death, pain and suffering that they have unleashed on the world.

Illegals are being turned away at the border. Those who are here, are here and until this is over we will have to deal with them. If everybody in this country would just stay the F home we could get a handle on this pandemic. But all the BS that politicians and citizens have been grappling half-a$$ed with for years has come to a head. Mass disasters have a way of clarifying things, don't they?

When the SHTF do open borders make sense? When the SHTF does having our drugs made in China make sense? When the SHTF does gun control make sense? When the SHTF do the banal mutterings about climate change make sense when we really DO face a real existential threat?

I know I'm all over the map with this post. It is what it is. Maybe it answers your response. Maybe it doesn't. Just a real post, with real thoughts swirling around in my head during difficult times. I'm just not in the mood for politics as usual. Have a great day. Be safe and stay healthy.
A bit rambling, but you bring up a lot of good points.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:29 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,591,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Again,

There is a finite amount of ventilators and we will run out. Fact.

In some cases, American citizens will die who otherwise would have lived because a ventilator was not available. Fact.

Some of the ventilators will be used by illegal aliens when they are also needed to save the life of an American citizen. Fact.

Less Americans would die if respirators being used on illegals were still available. Fact.

The illegal immigrants are here and protected by Democrats. Fact.

Therefore Americans will die because Democrats attract and protect illegal aliens. Fact.

Finally, it’s a reasonable question to ask that since more American citizens will die because of Democrats, shouldn’t Democrats be at the back of the line for treatment?
Who "deserves" a ventilator more, an illegal alien who sheltered in place or an American who went to Florida on Spring Break or went to a packed church this past weekend?

Old 04-01-2020, 10:40 AM

24,008 posts, read 15,100,850 times
juneaubound makes a lot of sense. I have been pondering some of that for years. Years ago, when a Walmart opened in our small town I told my neighbor every time she went into that store she was raising the standard of living in China. She thought I was nuts.

Last years, all kinds of Chinese made blood pressure medication was recalled. And our drug and insurance companies still let them make our medications. Go figure.

Too bad for the last 75 years Americans would rather watch tv than watch what their politicians were doing. Guess as long as 401Ks make money everybody thinks American owned business is doing a great job.

Old 04-01-2020, 12:00 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,432,624 times
I try so hard to stay out of the pure foolishness I see on this board but, this thread is way beyond the pale.

It is clear that most don't know how things work in the medical field. There is this thing called TRIAGE. It is exceptionally rare that there is a case of "all things being equal." Since that is a fact doctors would make a decision as important as this based on several factors a few of which are
1) Severity of the patient's illness or trauma. Those that need immediate care in order to save life are first in line.
2) Those that are quite serious (urgent) but, medical attention could wait if there are more severe cases.
3) Cases that can be delayed but will still need attention. Think a broken arm vs a compound, complex fracture.
etc

What they do not take into account is a persons' race, sex, political party, religion, or citizenry status. In some cases, burns being one of them, they do take into account a patient's age. Not going into how it is determined but, if you have an elderly patient with burns over 80% of their body vs a teen with burns over 80% the teen will most likely be treated first. You must note that there is still no 100% equality in these two victims.

So, the purely hypothetical premise of this thread falls into the foolish "what if" category. The only "what if?" that is worth considering is the book written by my friend's son, Randall Monroe. Beyond that speculation of this sort is a fool hardy exhibition.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 04-01-2020, 12:35 PM

10,101 posts, read 6,444,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I think it was in this thread where I earlier mentioned that both major parties have some interest in promoting illegal immigration. It’s one of the worst kept secrets in DC.
Absolutely. It's not a "Democrats-only" point of origin. I would be gobsmacked that people don't see that, but it's so much easier to place partisan blame than see reality.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:53 PM

22,481 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
False. I don't know of one Democrat who is in favor of illegal immigration. It is certainly not in any DNC platform.

I personally am opposed to illegal immigration, because it is....well, illegal. I have no problem with deporting illegals (although I would like to see a path to citizenship for the "Dreamers"). But when it comes to life and death, that should not be a consideration. We could just as well have this conversation about people in prison. Because they broke the law, they should not have access to ventilators?

Careful, this is a very slippery slope you go down when you decide who deserves to live and who does not.
We owe the so-called "Dreamers" absolutely nothing. They have no moral compass and act like we owe them something. The only thing we owe them is a one way ticket back to their own country. Period.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:54 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,591,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
We owe the so-called "Dreamers" absolutely nothing. They have no moral compass and act like we owe them something. The only thing we owe them is a one way ticket back to their own country. Period.
Let’s consider this... what makes you more worthy of being in this country than a “so-called Dreamer”?

Old 04-01-2020, 08:05 PM

17,666 posts, read 6,928,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Let’s consider this... what makes you more worthy of being in this country than a “so-called Dreamer”?
The U.S. Constitution and federal law.

What's your basis for thinking that everyone on earth has the same right to be in this country as U.S. citizens?

Old 04-01-2020, 08:12 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,420,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
The U.S. Constitution and federal law.

What's your basis for thinking that everyone on earth has the same right to be in this country as U.S. citizens?
Everyone on earth certainly not.

Someone who has spent nearly their entire life here and is part of the American community certainly should get the right to stay here.

A lot of these kids don't even speak Spanish and would be hopelessly lost if they were deported to Mexico or wherever their parents are from.

I really can't respect anyone on the right that calls for their deportation.

America needs more young people working right now more than ever. Give them incentives to work hard and contribute to the community in exchange for earning the right to stay.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:37 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
As a Trump supporter I'm for giving Dreamers American citizenship, I think most of us are. It's not their fault their parents came here illegally but we got to stop more illegals coming here or we will just have more dreamers who are in the same sad position. It will never end unless we end it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies