Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 08:52 AM

23,850 posts, read 24,091,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
Interesting theory, but I don't watch cable news.
I didn't say that you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
I do expect the PRESIDENT to give out factual information and not sound bytes that are misleading (such as the one on testing).
Your expectations are very high.

Politicians are going to politic. If you expect them not to, you're going to be perpetually disappointed. That they'll lie or misrepresent information is, or should be, understood, and one should process their information accordingly.

And you didn't really dispel my hypothesis that you're included in that group. In fact, to me, you dug in further and are only supporting the notion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 09:21 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Most people don't take the time to tell the difference. Just look at all the people here that just mindlessly repeat what the hear and see in the Media which is mostly anti Trump and FAR LEFT BIASED.
It’s not a matter of “take the time” ... it’s more a matter of a totally different Reality.
The Leftist Reality exists in a Rubber Bubble. There is no entrance to that Bubble, info follows out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Many here are saying that the media's sloppy reporting is being done for political reasons. The posters that are saying that seem to think it's to make Trump look bad. Maybe that's the case in some situations but I think that misses the larger point.

I agree this is a very serious issue but the media (most pervasively on the cable TV front but also seen on regular network programming) has a direct financial interest in creating hysteria, no matter what the issue. The media is simply interested in having simple attention grabbing tag lines that reels the masses (who often don't have great critical analysis skills to break these statistics down) in, to show advertisers they have lots of viewers so they can rake in the $$$. If it bleeds it leads.
All true, but consider another important data point. The Media is basically headquartered in New York City.
That is the same New York City that is the USA epicenter of a killing and very contagious Virus. They are Panicked and it shows. No Journalism, just Panic. No more hobnobbing at Restaurants, Bars and Parties.
They don’t deal well with any of it. While Millions of Americans have lost their jobs, the Media Elite have jobs, they have just lost their Lifestyle.

As usual — Orange Man BAD is to blame for everything.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:28 AM

23,850 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
As for the Bad Orange Man, I challenge you to list Trump's wins. None of his supporters can even list one now that the economy has tanked.
Off the top of my head...

1. Withdrew from the TPP sham.

2. Two conservative Supreme Court judges.

3. "The wall" is being built.

4. Nearly 1/3 of circuit judges are Trump appointees. Seen the decisions coming out of the 9th lately?

5. Ongoing "deep state" investigations, which the media is & has been ignoring.

Basically, just about every issue he campaigned on has seen traction. You don't have to love the guy to recognize the reality of what he's accomplished; you just have to be honest with yourself.

ETA:

6. NAFTA replaced.

7. Trade w/China (finally) being addressed.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:32 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Off the top of my head...

1. Withdrew from the TPP sham.

2. Two conservative Supreme Court judges.

3. "The wall" is being built.

4. Nearly 1/3 of circuit judges are Trump appointees. Seen the decisions coming out of the 9th lately?

5. Ongoing "deep state" investigations, which the media is & has been ignoring.

Basically, just about every issue he campaigned on has seen traction. You don't have to love the guy to recognize the reality of what he's accomplished; you just have to be honest with yourself.
6. Much better Trade Deals.
7. Less unnecessary regulation.
8. Energy Policy that has eabled the U.S. to be the largest oil producer in the world, a net exporter of energy, less dependent on Mid East oil, and LOWER WORLD ENERGY PRICES.
9. Until the virus, historically low unemployment even for Blacks.
10. Until the virus, great Stock and Housing markets.

Once the Democrat Media Alliance is done with the virus panic, #9 and #10 will quickly return.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:33 AM

78,333 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
No they are not driving but the people to people connection between countries is much greater when they are connected by roads. Remember our first cases arrived with people who flew in from China not the goods that were shipped, if it was Long Beach would have been ground zero in this.
I underlined the part that I read and go....whaaaaat?

Most of the Chinese go to europe and the US by plane.

Just because you could feasibly drive (or walk) to Europe from China is not some sort of defacto proof that it arrived throughout all of Europe because um....oceans.

Looking at the outbreak numbers over time would probably be a better bet imo as I did in looking at Spains curve. They're very close to us in terms of outbreak curve shape while clearly a country like Italy started before us.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:35 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I actually realize that that is a stupid question.

The mainstream print media is blaring all over the front pages of their papers and the broadcast media is leading their newscasts with the headlines that the The US is the top country in the world for coronaviruses!!

Why are they not reporting that the US is number 30 in Coronavirus cases/million of population and number 20 in number of deaths per 1 million while most of the nations above us in these grim statistics are first world European nations?

Also significant is the fact that over the past four days the number of cases in the US is flattening substantially.

Why do I have to find this incredibly significant news on my own???

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
I have seen reports that the US now has the highest number of cases, which is true. I have not seen them to be "blaring" headlines. I have also read about Italy and Spain, how they have an even situation than us.

The apparent flattening of the curve is a very recent development, just a couple of days really, so no one can say if this is a peak or just a hiccup. It would be irresponsible to give people the impression that we're in the clear.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:35 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I actually realize that that is a stupid question.

The mainstream print media is blaring all over the front pages of their papers and the broadcast media is leading their newscasts with the headlines that the The US is the top country in the world for coronaviruses!!

Why are they not reporting that the US is number 30 in Coronavirus cases/million of population and number 20 in number of deaths per 1 million while most of the nations above us in these grim statistics are first world European nations?

Also significant is the fact that over the past four days the number of cases in the US is flattening substantially.

Why do I have to find this incredibly significant news on my own???

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
It doesn’t sell.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:40 AM

78,333 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I know what flattening is but what link? If you are referring to the one in your original post it shows it going up every day.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/ look at the total cases.
I agree with you.

There are numerous ongoing attempts either from confusion or dishonesty to claim places are "flattening".

They cite that the number of daily claims coming in is level or decreasing....that's not flattening.
Or they want to make the curve lognormal....that's not flattening.

Flattening is in reference to the total cases curve and wanting it to look more like South Koreas.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...y/south-korea/

Old 03-30-2020, 09:40 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
It's a fact that the US has the highest Covid-19 case count. I don't know why there are claims that this is an attempt to deceive people. I noted the same thing when we passed Italy and China.

And yes, I also noted that there is an apparent leveling-off cases per day (no acceleration) for the past 4 days. Hopefully, that means that we have crested the highest rate. But the bottom line is, it's too early to tell, and if you just look further back in the data, you see several short periods where things seem to crest and then it just took off again, rising much higher. Time will tell.
The numbers are rising in KY.

The big problem is, they are not testing EVERYONE, so any statistics they report, are going to be hugely inaccurate, they have NO Idea how many people are infected and are not aware of it yet. There are only so many test kits and they are only being given to certain people.

To truly get an accurate number, every person would have to be tested and then re-tested 2-3 weeks later, (this is not practical or possible).

Old 03-30-2020, 09:44 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
The average American can’t comprehend death rates. Raw numbers gets viewed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies