Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 11:48 AM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Washing hands does not protect you. Wearing a mask will.
If there is virus on the mask, you touch the mask, then touch your face without washing your hands, then you have defeated the purpose of the mask.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:50 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If there is virus on the mask, you touch the mask, then touch your face without washing your hands, then you have defeated the purpose of the mask.
3rd grade science is a bugger on this forum.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:52 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
I will admit in hindsight closing the border was a good idea but

1. He only stopped foriegn nationals from coming in. American citizens, permanent residents and their family members were free to come back. So that had no effect on stopping the virus from coming here, at best is slowed it down.

2. "Closing the border" gave Trump a false sense that he stopped the virus so bo other proactive steps were taken. At the very least, every one traveling from or through China should have been tested, quarantined, and traced from the time the ban was put in place. At best some passengers had their temperature checked upon arrival and since we know than many people are asymptomatic a temp check was effectively useless.

3. Large scale testing needed to be put in place. It should have started in the cities where China flights arrive and moved on from there.

Look at it from the other side

Even preventing Chinese was cried as Xenophobic. Imagine if he had tried to stop American citizens or green card holders. he had no legal right and everyone would be against it. And we had no instant test at the airports that could determine which arrivals had COVID -19 and who did not have it.. Taking temp does not catch people who are in the incubation pre symptomatic stage.

\We could have done a lot more, but hindsight is great 20/20.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:54 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
3rd grade science is a bugger on this forum.

it is what it is ...

Old 04-03-2020, 12:02 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Leave medicine to the physicians and the CDC. There is no way that you can acquire the knowledge and judgement of 13 years of training and decades of experience through a few internet searches.
I do have to disagree with this.

Like the one other skeptic I already responded to, I am a big believer that people need to take personal responsibility for their own health to a much greater degree than they already do.

Like him, that outlook on life has served me very well up to this point. I rarely get sick and I've even made some personal health decisions that were against the advice of professional doctors but resulted in better health outcomes for me because I was informed about my own situation.

Unfortunately, that tendency prevented me from seeing the actual facts about this disease/situation as they are for quite some time, because this is a time when the educated western medical community is 100% correct.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:06 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
People were dying in the streets in 1918 and wagons had to come around to take bodies out of homes. This is NOTHING like the Spanish Flu of 1918. NOTHING, and to promote that it is like the Media and Democrats are doing is CRIMINAL.

This is the worst over reaction that government has ever forced on people. It is TYRANNICAL.
We don't know that yet.
The respirator was not designed until 1927, antibiotics in 1944, and vaccines in 1923. So virtually everyone on a respirator today, would have died then.

This shutdown saves lives.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:27 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
People were dying in the streets in 1918 and wagons had to come around to take bodies out of homes. This is NOTHING like the Spanish Flu of 1918. NOTHING, and to promote that it is like the Media and Democrats are doing is CRIMINAL.

This is the worst over reaction that government has ever forced on people. It is TYRANNICAL.
Do not get carried away. NYC is now getting over 200 dead in 24 hours. The 2018 epidemic got worse than that but only for a few weeks in October of 2018. Otherwise the death toll was below 200 per day during the pandemic in 2018. And there is still a probability that NY will get closer to the peak 2018 numbers in the next few weeks.

The thing needs to run its course but it could well get to 2018 like numbers. Hopefully though we can shut it down quicker.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:30 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,794,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Look at it from the other side

Even preventing Chinese was cried as Xenophobic. Imagine if he had tried to stop American citizens or green card holders. he had no legal right and everyone would be against it. And we had no instant test at the airports that could determine which arrivals had COVID -19 and who did not have it.. Taking temp does not catch people who are in the incubation pre symptomatic stage.

\We could have done a lot more, but hindsight is great 20/20.
I completely agree that's why I get annoyed when Trump wants to tout closing the border as some crowing achievement. At best it bought us a little time but in reality it did nothing because Trump squandered any advantage it gave us. It's like blocking a pass on the first play of football game and celebrating that achievement after every play after that while your team is now down 28 to 0 in the middle of the first quarter. And the only reason the pass was blocked in the reciever fell down and you really should have had an interception.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:33 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,583 times
Quote:

Think of this as a hurricane.

Two weeks ago, the hurricane was well east of us, and all we had was some breezy conditions.
Now, the hurricane is east of us still, but closer. We're getting some squalls.

In 3 weeks, it will be a lot lot worse as the eye passes over us. So sit back and enjoy.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:45 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
This is the thing. The shutdown has caused alot of problems. The economy has gone downhill, many people are going crazy because they can't cope with being shut in all the time. Many people have reached a point where they would rather die than be under quarantine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies