Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 12:45 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Don't feel bad. I was sucked in by Trump's early optimism too. I made a public apology here on POC's forum for my blunder.

>>>>>due to a lack of medical resources.

When I first read that I thought I read, "...due to mediocre resources" Turns out I wasn't far from correct.
You were suckered by Trump? Not China or the WHO? Trump, who shut down flights from China and was mocked for it made you think it was no big deal because..?

I can not take anything you say seriously.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:52 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,028,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
You're failing to understand our current place on the exponential death curve.

10x as many people die from the flu as the CURRENT death total is, but flu deaths are more spread out because the flu virus is less contagious.

Flu deaths do not exhibit exponential growth like this.

Barely a week ago we were at 1/5 the number of deaths we are now.

If people don't take it seriously this is going to get much worse than any flu season in a very long time.

You know absolutely none of this. Completely healthy people die from the flu all the time. How many millions are walking around with covid and have 0 symtoms? Calm down, start practicing hygiene, and everything will be ok. Don't belive every graph you see on the internet.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:56 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
How many millions are walking around with covid and have 0 symtoms?
Quite a lot because the incubation period is up to 14 days. But almost everyone will have symptoms. They are just manageable for most.

Quote:
Calm down
I've been calm this whole time. I'm dispassionately relating information to you. If you thought I was emotional about any of this, you were mistaken.

Quote:
Completely healthy people die from the flu all the time.
It's rare actually. Most healthy people never even get the flu or show any symptoms.

I probably haven't had the flu in 15 years. That's why I was not concerned about this and did not look at it closely enough in the beginning.

Quote:
Don't belive [sic] every graph you see on the internet.
The graph is accurate. So this seems to indicate you aren't even willing to accept the current facts of the situation. If that's the case I can't help you.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:03 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You were suckered by Trump? Not China or the WHO? Trump, who shut down flights from China and was mocked for it made you think it was no big deal because..?

Well, China never played it off as not serious. They lied about the impact it had. It was known publicly that China had locked down Wuhan. Trump didn't listen to experts and delayed necessary. He did stop flights from China, which is good, but that's all he did when he had the knowledge, recommendation, and power to do more. Using terms like "hoax" and adding sarcasm to the term "Coronavirus" didn't help as many who follow him, like the poster you quoted, don't know any better. False and unfounded hope that we will go from 15 patients to 0 really quickly while glossing over the fact that we will go all the way up to 100's of thousands before reaching zero is negligent to put it nicely.

It's so bad that some of his followers like Larry Kudlow that have massive reach, indicated that we had contained the virus when no expert was saying such. Sheep will be sheep.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:27 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
In the beginning, even Dr Fauci told us not to worry. China was lying to everybody, so nobody knew what was going on.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:28 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
One is informed by reading widely. A lot of people don't have the time or inclination. I'm retired. I do. The horror stories I read out of China in January convinced me this was Not Nothing. I even bought masks in February - and I never get sick, and have never worried about any illness, and don't get the flu shot. But this is a nasty one.

Countless medical people in China, Italy and now the US have died from this epidemic. When the medical people get sick, they get really sick because of overexposure to the virus.

Italy is triaging patients - those over 65 with comorbidity such as HBP, heart issues, COPD - aren't put on a ventilator but left to die - because Italy's experience has been they don't survive. They reserve the scarce ventilators for those with better chances of survival. NYC is now learning it, too, will have to make these decisions soon. There aren't enough ventilators to treat the large numbers of patients who need them.

The contagiousness of the virus, how deathly ill one can become - 20% who come down with the disease are hospitalized. 15% of those are in ICU/Ventilators. A doc who posts on this board working in NY says 50% of those on ventilators die. In my area, over 60% of the deaths are male. Men seem particularly vulnerable. Further, severe illness can result in heart, lung and nervous system damage.

Mathjak (NYC) who never posts on P&C has a dil whose mother was hospitalized, still there, whose father developed a fever, sat down in his chair to nap and died, and Mathjak's ex-wife just released from hospital, but still with breathing issues. That's three people. Unchecked, every family will be affected.

Chinese have also found people relapse. Disease comes back after one thinks one has 'recovered.' Some have died. For that reason, Chinese built quarantine hotels for newly-recovered people because even before symptoms return, these people start shedding virus and become contagious again.

I guess one can choose to disbelieve the news and the countless data sources on this illness. Here are two sites which are updated regularly:

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

An intelligent analysis of what we can expect going forward, here:

https://www.cnbc.com/search/?query=g...hterm=gottlieb

Yes, Trump convinced many people there were no worries, as late as February saying 15 cases would soon be zero, it was all under control, the seriousness of the epidemic was overhyped.

I always knew better. My 74 y/o brother with CHF told me three weeks ago this is much ado about nothing - when I warned him to be careful because being a 74 y/o male with CHF was a death sentence for him. Now, he's horrified at how this has become what I call a Zombie Apocalpyse.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-03-2020 at 02:10 AM..

Old 04-03-2020, 01:56 AM

17,797 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post

What part of Trump saying the democratic reaction to COVID-19 is a "hoax" do you not understand?

Trumpsters want us all to pat Trump on the back for the China flight ban but pretend like he didn't completely miscalculate what was happening and make light of those who understood what was happening.

Old 04-03-2020, 03:16 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I was a skeptic early on here. I was 100% wrong.

This isn't the flu.

It's at least twice as virulent, probably more. The global death curve is still increasing exponentially. The incubation period for the flu is 1-4 days, for corona it's up to 14 days, that means you can go about your normal business much longer infecting other people before you get sick and realize you need to self quarantine.

The illness is MUCH worse than the flu. Bad fever for at least 8-12 days straight, even for healthy people. Chris Cuomo said he lost 13 lb in the first 3 days from night sweats. That is nasty. Chris Cuomo was a very fit and healthy person who works out and eats well.

Because the illness is so much worse than the flu, the hospitalization rate for corona is 19%, for the flu it is 2%. That's why the health care system is overwhelmed. That is also why the fatality rate is at least an order of magnitude higher.

If the health care system fails, even more tangentially affected people will die than in the official numbers due to a lack of medical resources.

It's not Seasonal Flu.

Old 04-03-2020, 03:40 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
It certainly is not the flu. But I remain optimistic, we have the means to get through this and will get through this together as a nation, in time. It was apparent that this thing could easily kill 10's of thousands, but hopefully some of the early precautions and steps taken have reduced the potential for loss of life. The coming few weeks will give us a much better understanding of what that number will probably be.

I keep hearing Italy is flattening the curve. Hopefully we won't be far off from doing the same, and we are in the thick of it now. It's going to be a very stressful and trying time for our medical community. We should be very mindful and grateful of the work they are doing, right in the middle of this mess. Brave and courageous, they are our modern day heroes.

Old 04-03-2020, 03:52 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I keep hearing Italy is flattening the curve.
I looked at the stats for Italy and I wouldn't say that. Italy looks like it is potentially reaching an inflection point on cases but the curve is not really flattening yet. But the death rate is now only increasing linearly there rather than exponentially (as it still is globally), so that is a good sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies