Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2020, 06:10 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Are you seriously suggesting that everyone should be under de facto house arrest indefinitely, just because some portion of the population is at particularly great risk?
Well that's one way of taking the u.s. Constitution from (where it is now) I.C.U ... into the graveyard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 06:18 PM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
. 1% of America dying is more than enough to get people pretty worried. .
That was NEVER going to occur.

Covid-19 projects about 92k Americans die, 1 per 3,500 or so, or .03 of one percent.

Old 04-04-2020, 06:27 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahzay23 View Post
Do you really think the economy wouldnt grind to a halt if 1% of the population died? The coronavirus is hospitalizing the young and the old. Healthy and chronically ill.

Even if only 1% die, you don't know who that 1% is going to be. What are you going to do when you hear 10ks are dying a day from lack of available space in hospitals? Go grocery shopping? Go to the movies? Most people would hole up regardless of a govt order in that situation. The economy would crash regardless.

You realize over 1% of the population dies every year? No, the economy wouldn't grind to a halt if that was 2% or even 5% for one year. Less than two hundred years ago, 2% died every year.

Old 04-04-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
The point is that there would be a massive quarantine, regardless if the govt ordered it. Do your really think life would continue as normal if the news was reporting 10k deaths per day? You don't think people would self quarantine at that death rate, regardless?

Geez, enough of the straw men. Nobody but nobody ever suggested that keeping things open and letting it run it's course would mean things would continue as normal or the economy wouldn't suffer. Just quit it with that lie. What people are saying is that fewer businesses would close and fewer people would lose their jobs.

Old 04-04-2020, 06:33 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
I doubt there are any statistics about the underlying health of the people who have died already. What we are seeing is anecdotes from med staff and people who were hospitalized saying otherwise healthy people are still getting hospitalized.

There will be no where near as many people dying as a result of a shutdown as there would be from the unchecked spread of the coronavirus.

The point is that there would be a massive quarantine, regardless if the govt ordered it. Do your really think life would continue as normal if the news was reporting 10k deaths per day? You don't think people would self quarantine at that death rate, regardless?
I don't know if we will ever see the findings but ME/Coroner's office in every city/county in the US have the same task; to investigate the cause of death. They test the deceased for coronavirus and talk to friends and relatives, also pre-existing conditions can sometimes be detected during the autopsy.

I completely agree with you about self isolation, it was already happening in my community before they announced the lockdown rules. If they filling refrigerator trucks with corpses people aren't going to go to football games or movie theaters.

Old 04-04-2020, 06:34 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Quote:
I doubt there are any statistics about the underlying health of the people who have died already. What we are seeing is anecdotes from med staff and people who were hospitalized saying otherwise healthy people are still getting hospitalized.
Sorry but that is not true. There are indeed statistics, and since you won't read the article for yourself, I will quote it for you.

"Using the total number of coronavirus cases in Italy, the death rate for those with no underlying issues is 0.014%. The underlying conditions most prevalent among the fatalities were lung disease, diabetes, heart disease, and cancer."

https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...#ixzz6Ih4V2TAb

Quote:
There will be no where near as many people dying as a result of a shutdown as there would be from the unchecked spread of the coronavirus.
Unemployment at 30%, isolation, lower food stores, all of these could affect mortality rates.

Quote:
There are not 10,000 deaths a day.

Old 04-04-2020, 06:34 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,353,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
1 % of the 20% who require hospitalization is not the same as 1% of America. It's not a large percentage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
That was NEVER going to occur.

Covid-19 projects about 92k Americans die, 1 per 3,500 or so, or .03 of one percent.
Where are you getting that data from...because that goes against everything I've seen.

Furthermore...I don't know how it would work out that, with flooded hospitals , only 1% of the hospitalized would die.

Old 04-04-2020, 06:41 PM

8,244 posts, read 3,495,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Because there is a loud vocal minority screaming to "do something" and politicians and corporations always look to shut these people up. Most of them are left leaning....go onto reddit and tell them you are gonna go fishing today....watch their reaction.

Whether we quarantined everyone or just people over 50 (this virus is particularly bad for this age group) the effect would have been the same...in fact an over 50 quarantine likely would have been worse for the economy since so many of them hold factory jobs yet. Plus Americans have lots of high risk individuals because everyone is so fat and out of shape.

The fatality rate is far higher than 1%...its closer to 5%.... So I guess this is how we roll now. I admit I'm curious how it will all turn out...whether the fractional reserve central banking system can survive it without either major inflation or depression.

I've gone back and forth on the quarantine issue myself. Part of me thinks good, part thinks we should let it spread unchecked...but the way the grocery stores have been handling it, it still will spread. Expect temperature checks and customer number limits with lines outside the store within 7 days if you don't have them already. Rumors are walmart is closing one entrance and limiting non essential purchases...we are going full stupid mode for months here... For better or for worse...I haven't decided...so you can see why they are doing it...if an idiot like me can't decide what's better.... They will always take the side of caution because that's what statists do....
Yes, and it's worse than that. All people go through one entrance. How is congesting people to one entrance, even with the spacing, a good idea? As it is, the shortened hours means 24 hours of customers are congested into a 12 hour period. I think this way is making it worse, not better. And they are talking about limiting the number in the store. They already have it so that only one person per household can shop. So, if they do this, then people would have to wait for hours potentially to even go into the store. All those new hires better not get too comfortable in their jobs, because people with options will end up ceasing to shop there and the store will have to slash workers and hours. If they make it so you cannot buy clothes there, as many are advocating for, then where will people be able to buy clothes if they need them? They shut down the flea markets and clothing stores around here. They even closed down the thrift stores. Right now, Wal-mart and Meijer are the only places anyone can buy clothes around here. How are clothes not essential?

Since not nearly everyone who has this virus is ever known to have it then the fatality rate would likely be less than 1%. Even people who are having symptoms are often not tested. There will never be accurate statistics for this virus. It's like they want the death rate to be artificially high or something. Half the population could have it for all we know with most people having no symptoms whatsoever.

I never run a fever anymore since I was put on chemo. It was explained to me that a fever is an immune system response. My immune system is suppressed. They keep taking my temperature anyway though. I know I don't have the virus because every time I get sick from something, it hits me hard. Whenever I had dental work done for years I'd automatically be put on antibiotics because I get infections easy. Years ago though I had a tooth pulled and the dentist was going on about how antibiotics are over prescribed, etc and that not many people really need them. About four hours after I had the tooth pulled I already had pus in the socket. By the next day it was in my blood stream. I ended up on antibiotics for over a month because that idiot didn't put me on the antibiotics like was standard. So, with how things hit me quick and hard, if I caught the virus I'd likely be dead before they even knew I had it. I don't go out much because of it, but I don't want the world to shut down. I can keep myself inside without the world shutting down.

Old 04-04-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Do you really think you'd be going out to eat dinner if you had a realistic chance of dying from catching something? You think the economy would ride that out without a massive response?

If you really think the people wouldn't be going out anyway then the lockdown orders are superfluous and can be lifted with no effects. You can't have it both ways.

Old 04-04-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
You're talking about a massive economic crash one way or the other. The difference is one crash is coupled with a death tally that's orders of magnitudes greater than what we're seeing now.

You're talking about a Recession versus a Depression and the death tally from the latter will ultimately dwarf the max we would have ever seen for COVID-19.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies