Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 10:08 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,287,874 times

Advertisements

This is a serious situation, I get that. If I was given to option, either what is being done or the herd mentality, I'd take what is being done now.

Is there an underlying belief that if this virus was treated just like the flu, the number of cases and deaths would be staggering? Are the predictions overstated or are our actions under cutting the predictions? Never in my 60 years of life have I seen the world collectively halt the economy. Never have I seen basically everything from schools to sports to businesses be shut down. No one in the medical field sya they have ever seen anything like this.

This is life altering. It's like somebody took a baseball bat to the globe and knocked it out of orbit. How did almost every country in the world have it's leaders sit down and make such a decision? Did they all underestimate the effects on the economy with global stay at home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 10:12 PM

987 posts, read 780,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
This is a serious situation, I get that. If I was given to option, either what is being done or the herd mentality, I'd take what is being done now.

Is there an underlying belief that if this virus was treated just like the flu, the number of cases and deaths would be staggering? Are the predictions overstated or are our actions under cutting the predictions? Never in my 60 years of life have I seen the world collectively halt the economy. Never have I seen basically everything from schools to sports to businesses be shut down. No one in the medical field sya they have ever seen anything like this.

This is life altering. It's like somebody took a baseball bat to the globe and knocked it out of orbit. How did almost every country in the world have it's leaders sit down and make such a decision? Did they all underestimate the effects on the economy with global stay at home?
The planet is communicating to us or trying to lol

We are too selfish

Old 04-03-2020, 10:12 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post

It's because of how fast it spreads in the fact that 20% of the people who get it, regardless of age, will need hospitalization. We don't have enough beds and ventilators to handle it if we just let it run it's course. When that happens, it becomes much deadlier as well because people die from cases that should be treatable.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:15 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul359 View Post
The planet is communicating to us or trying to lol

We are too selfish
Actually the planet is saying... leave the bats alone, China.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:16 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,531,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It's because of how fast it spreads in the fact that 20% of the people who get it, regardless of age, will need hospitalization. We don't have enough beds and ventilators to handle it if we just let it run it's course. When that happens, it becomes much deadlier as well because people die from cases that should be treatable.
You mean 20% of the 20% who are symptomatic. NOT 20% of all who get it since it's looking like a significant majority of those who "have it" are asymptomatic.

Last edited by MattCW; 04-03-2020 at 10:35 PM..

Old 04-03-2020, 10:20 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,269,829 times
Because fear is a powerful motivator.

But it’s also instinct....probably evolutionary that we naturally distance ourselves from each other when a deadly disease is on the loose.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:35 PM

13,657 posts, read 9,720,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Because fear is a powerful motivator.
This. And because most people have an asinine aversion to dying. They would rather live poorly, than die well.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:17 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,354,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
This. And because most people have an asinine aversion to dying. They would rather live poorly, than die well.
Let's not kid ourselves...that's not going to be dying well. Letting the virus spread everywhere will lead to dying in a blind panic with overflowing hospitals and our medical workers scrambling for weeks, if not months to save as many people as possible...probably ending in most of them having all sorts of psychological issues. Our people will live in terror while it happens.

My number one reason for trying to fight it is that through fighting it we can better learn how to fight it when we have to, inevitably, fight it again. I don't think we'll learn as much through letting it sweep through society and end lots of lives.

We have an opportunity to learn what does and doesn't work when fighting a pandemic. The long term gains of engaging in this experiment could pretty plausibly make up for the economic losses...because our world is just going to get steadily more vulnerable to pandemics over time. This way, maybe we'll be better prepared for the next five pandemics.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:19 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,118,686 times
Because we like our family and friends being alive...

Old 04-03-2020, 11:20 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
You mean 20% of the 20% who are symptomatic. NOT 20% of all who get it since it's looking like a significant majority of those who "have it" are asymptomatic.
Negative. The latest medical data I saw said 20% were asymptomatic. We still don’t know the long term prognosis in detail yet either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies