Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 06:48 PM

45,238 posts, read 26,470,793 times

Advertisements

Did you say private?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2020, 06:49 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,506,355 times
After living in Australia and Singapore I can't see why we have waited this long. Yes I did use both systems and they were fantastic.

I agree it is time for UHC.

Old 04-05-2020, 06:50 PM

8,509 posts, read 4,752,974 times
I hope not. We haven’t even begun to control costs first. That’s a bipartisan fail. Insurance profits are a part, but how about billing costs for practices? Why are cash prices SO much lower? Prescriptions/drugs? Malpractice insurance? I’m sure I’m scratching the surface, but while I’m open to national healthcare, don’t even start until you tackle those and other things. Making it single payer isn’t the instant solve some people think it is.

Old 04-05-2020, 06:55 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,258,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I hope not. We haven’t even begun to control costs first. That’s a bipartisan fail. Insurance profits are a part, but how about billing costs for practices? Why are cash prices SO much lower? Prescriptions/drugs? Malpractice insurance? I’m sure I’m scratching the surface, but while I’m open to national healthcare, don’t even start until you tackle those and other things. Making it single payer isn’t the instant solve some people think it is.
You've had 50 years to make your case. Time's up.

Old 04-05-2020, 07:06 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
If the unemployment rate reaches 25%, a majority of the electorate will be without health insurance, many of whom previously had it, during a public health crisis. That will be the end of the private health care system.

For decades the advocates of the private health care system argued it would control costs better than a public health care system. The US spends a larger portion of its GDP on health care than any other country. The private health care system has failed to control costs.

For decades the advocates of the private health care system argued it would deliver higher quality care than a public health care system. The US has below average health outcomes for a developed country. The private health care system has failed to deliver higher quality care.

The advocates of the private health care system have been wrong on the facts for decades, and now they are wrong on the politics. There are thousands of delivery drivers bringing us life-sustaining supplies, and few of them have health insurance. They are risking their health for the sake of others, and they have no health insurance. This is morally wrong. And very politically visible.

The only reason to support a private health care system is to increase the bargaining power of employers over workers. That has nothing to do with the provision of health care or the cost of such, and is morally abhorrent.

Health care has always been rationed in this country, by the ability to pay and the willingness to vote. Soon it will be rationed in a different way, and if the pattern in countries with public health systems is an indication, that new way will make more sense economically and medically.

Being a conservative means being amenable to facts and argument. The argument for a private health care system has been lost.

If you are not amenable to facts and argument, and unyieldingly cling to your positions and interests despite all the evidence against those, you are a reactionary, not a conservative. And America is no place for reactionaries.
So ... what’s your best guess?
It’s clear the Normal US Citizen doesn’t want the Federal Government Elite Politicians to Control our Healthcare and where we can leave our homes or not.

Think this was a deliberate plan by the Leftists to take over our lives and Health?
Maybe you are correct, I think it will fail.

What say the rest of you? Will the Leftists win this one?

Old 04-05-2020, 07:07 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,420,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
how about billing costs for practices?
Billing costs for practices in part are so high because medical billing is a disastrous cluster****. Going to UHC would eliminate most of those problems and billing costs for practices would fall substantially. With UHC, you only have one billing standard, and you know the government is going to pay.

Old 04-05-2020, 07:11 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,420,277 times
BTW, I agree with the OP that this is the end of the line but for another reason.

Medical capacity has been cut in NYC since the early 2000s largely to control costs, which private entities have to do. If the government was running it, the number of doctors, hospital beds, etc, that are needed could be determined by scientists who advise public policy makers.

Old 04-05-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
So ... what’s your best guess?
It’s clear the Normal US Citizen doesn’t want the Federal Government Elite Politicians to Control our Healthcare and where we can leave our homes or not.

Think this was a deliberate plan by the Leftists to take over our lives and Health?
Maybe you are correct, I think it will fail.

What say the rest of you? Will the Leftists win this one?
I think the response to the pandemic is medically justified. If any one actor is culpable for it, it is the communist party of China.

I think a majority of people agree with the public provision of health care. I also think the public provision of health care will be better for a majority of people than the current system.

In other words, I don't think the private health care system is worth conserving, and hasn't been for decades. It only made it this far because of the vagaries of politics.

Old 04-05-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
BTW, I agree with the OP that this is the end of the line but for another reason.

Medical capacity has been cut in NYC since the early 2000s largely to control costs, which private entities have to do. If the government was running it, the number of doctors, hospital beds, etc, that are needed could be determined by scientists who advise public policy makers.
System wide UHC controls costs better. The situation you are describing is because NYC has a higher population of low income people, compared to say a wealthy community with more private practices.

Old 04-05-2020, 07:21 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,398,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I think the response to the pandemic is medically justified. If any one actor is culpable for it, it is the communist party of China.

I think a majority of people agree with the public provision of health care. I also think the public provision of health care will be better for a majority of people than the current system.

In other words, I don't think the private health care system is worth conserving, and hasn't been for decades. It only made it this far because of the vagaries of politics.
You are presenting a stark choice as if it is your way or the highway.

We do need universal health care but if you look around the world there are about 60 countries that have guaranteed universal health care for their citizens, only a handful use a single-payer system, meaning there are plenty of methods besides single-payer.

Countries like Japan, Germany, South Korea, and Switzerland have very good universal healthcare models that are adaptable to the U.S. system, as they rely on a private-public hybrid insurance framework that the U.S. already uses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies