Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 01:12 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,388,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
But I bet the insurance corps get a bail out ....
"With all the money I've paid these politicians, I better."

- Insurance CEOs around the globe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2020, 01:33 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,177,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
well..... a pure adherence to capitalism would be "let 'er rip" which not MANY have been proposing under such pure capitalist reasons.

To the capitalist system, everybody that is retired has nearly $0 value. A little consumption of retail goods, but otherwise their savings would actually be redeployed into businesses by a % of them being invested into the market. Yes, there's some heirs that would spend their inheritance on boats and cars and caviar. But think of the large chunk of $30Trillion (by one estimate) invested as capital into the system.

I mean, imagine how good SS and Medicare would look for the next 20 years if we actively infected everyone over 65 and told them to ride it out at home (I don't think the few "let her rip" folks are proposing this). We could probably "get rid of" 25% of them. And think of not only the COVID savings, but all that pesky Medicare spending on quasi-necessary surgery.

If one was to only look at it as only an economic exercise.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=owI7DOeO_yg

Old 04-05-2020, 03:56 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,280,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
medicare for all wont work
It isnt a two outcome choice.

Employer provided healthcare is one option, Medicare is a second, personal health insurance (as we currently know it) a third, pay at point of service a fourth, health insurance that reimburses the policy holder is a fifth, think of a way to fund health insurance and you'll find another, and another, and another.

Old 04-05-2020, 04:02 PM

46,322 posts, read 27,145,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Meanwhile, Trump and the GOP are working hard to make sure the ACA is completely struck down so there is no place for anyone to go once all the employer-based health insurance is no longer available to them.

MAGA.

Obama said, under his plan, all Americans would be covered? What happened? What has your current president done to dismantle the aca, other than the remove the penalty for not having the aca?

Quote:
"My plan begins by covering every American. If you already have health insurance, the only thing that will change for you under this plan is that the amount of money you will spend on premiums will be less," Obama said.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/obama-u...lth-care-plan/

Old 04-05-2020, 04:02 PM

19,830 posts, read 9,392,703 times
FWIW, my husband (age 63) got laid off March 16, and we were pleasantly surprised that his COBRA including dental and vision (plus dental and vision for me, also, although I am 66 and on Medicare) will only cost about $415 a month. However, he was on a very high deductible plan with co-pays, too -- but we were expecting to pay about $1,000 a month for COBRA. (We live in Colorado, btw.)

Old 04-05-2020, 06:11 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,676,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Thanks FDR for tying insurance to employment!

Thread fail
FDR?
Blue Shield was a non-profit.
Nixon is the one that made it Satan's play ground. For Profit corporate unaccountability.

Old 04-05-2020, 06:17 PM

8,517 posts, read 4,759,184 times
All of you political animals might tie yourselves to one party or another.

But honestly, you come across very homogenously as being partisan to politics itself. Shame on you. Incredibly disrespectful. Wake up folks, if politics mean something to you after this or 9/11, there’s something wrong with your thinking. Use that grey matter. Humanity > politics.

I’m tired of this “never let a crisis go to waste” thinking. It’s disgusting. Utterly disgusting. Left and right both. Stop it. STOP IT.

Old 04-05-2020, 06:41 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,260,471 times
Default This is the end of the line for the private health care system

If the unemployment rate reaches 25%, a majority of the electorate will be without health insurance, many of whom previously had it, during a public health crisis. That will be the end of the private health care system.

For decades the advocates of the private health care system argued it would control costs better than a public health care system. The US spends a larger portion of its GDP on health care than any other country. The private health care system has failed to control costs.

For decades the advocates of the private health care system argued it would deliver higher quality care than a public health care system. The US has below average health outcomes for a developed country. The private health care system has failed to deliver higher quality care.

The advocates of the private health care system have been wrong on the facts for decades, and now they are wrong on the politics. There are thousands of delivery drivers bringing us life-sustaining supplies, and few of them have health insurance. They are risking their health for the sake of others, and they have no health insurance. This is morally wrong. And very politically visible.

The only reason to support a private health care system is to increase the bargaining power of employers over workers. That has nothing to do with the provision of health care or the cost of such, and is morally abhorrent.

Health care has always been rationed in this country, by the ability to pay and the willingness to vote. Soon it will be rationed in a different way, and if the pattern in countries with public health systems is an indication, that new way will make more sense economically and medically.

Being a conservative means being amenable to facts and argument. The argument for a private health care system has been lost.

If you are not amenable to facts and argument, and unyieldingly cling to your positions and interests despite all the evidence against those, you are a reactionary, not a conservative. And America is no place for reactionaries.

Old 04-05-2020, 06:44 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,423,176 times
Dems by and large are for a public health care system now.

I hope Rs come on board after this.

Old 04-05-2020, 06:45 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,260,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Dems by and large are for a public health care system now.

I hope Rs come on board after this.
It can't be Medicare for All, because Medicare does not control costs well enough. It will probably be a single payer system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies