Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2020, 11:55 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Well.... I have been harassed to join, by superCostco Fans, some being family members, which is how I have been there. Almost, like a cult? They seemed to be trying to hard sell me on it. (Is there a reward for getting someone new to join?) This never happened to me with other stores. Maybe because it is so easy to shop at other stores on a whim, but Costco or any club store is a commitment.

They live long distance but to this day they ask if we've joined yet and gush about things they got there. If they say they went shopping it means Costco, always.

Just weird ya know? Some people love Walmart just as much, I guess. I just don't see being a superfan of a big generic store when there are still many other places to buy things and also save money.

I think you are just going to have to write that off to having out of the ordinary friends and family.

No one has ever tried to get me to shop anywhere, ever.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 12:43 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
How many of them get special credit cards because Costco will only accept one type? They get you to pay 60 or 120 dollars and then pressure you into getting a credit card by refusing others, while feeding you free food.

Thinking back, Woolworth was kind of cultural too, a chain store with cheap prices and lunch counter in the store. But you could pay with your nickels and dimes and there was no entrance fee.
Um, what???!!!???? Where do you get THAT idea?

In the past 20 years, they've never once turned down my ordinary MasterCard, issued by my credit union, nor either one of the Visa cards I carry that are issued by two different national banks. In fact, I renewed my membership last week using the afore-mentioned MasterCard. Nary a peep of protest.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:50 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Um, what???!!!???? Where do you get THAT idea?

In the past 20 years, they've never once turned down my ordinary MasterCard, issued by my credit union, nor either one of the Visa cards I carry that are issued by two different national banks. In fact, I renewed my membership last week using the afore-mentioned MasterCard. Nary a peep of protest.
To be fair, our Costcos here in California have always accepted just one major credit card to the exclusion of others. They have changed it around over time; I think right now it is Visa. Not sure because I always pay cash.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:52 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,046,465 times
All other issues in America serve as a distraction from that a shadowy group of people, most likely foreigners (most definitely) control printing our money without any oversight - The Fed

Old 04-16-2020, 02:00 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,952 times
WTF is wrong with people these days. Looks like OP can't find anything else so here he is with his unique take

Old 04-16-2020, 02:08 PM

52,273 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Costco, BJ's only cater to peoples need to have stuff and buying in bulk at a reduced price you satisfy that need.

I don't think these stores are examples of what is wrong with America. They are warehouses that stock and sell all manner of items which would make most travelers from around the world gawk in amazement at the abundance of goods we have in America.

Personally I'm not a fan of these membership stores having never really taken advantage of their "deals". It might be the area that I live in that tends to be more expensive but I can get my bulk items at Walmart just fine.

I can see how Costco and BJ's would be great choices for couples with kids though.
I was watching some show a few years ago that did an expose type thing and it was about how those big box bulk stores like Costco aren't really as good deal as people think. I forget all of the particulars but I remember that show.

To the OP, I think that standing back and looking at the big picture we have become too much of a consumer based economy. Starting way back in the 60's Madisen ave ramped up and we've been bombed with imagery across all media forms telling us how we only be cool and hip if smoke this brand or buy that car.

Consumerism and social decay is at work a bit here.

Costco is merely an end result and one of a million forms of conduit for this.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:10 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
hey look the resident communist is aghast at the way the rest of us live our lives and is telling us what is wrong with us.

I'm shocked!

While describing how bleak he thinks the outside of a Costco looks.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Well.... I have been harassed to join, by superCostco Fans, some being family members, which is how I have been there. Almost, like a cult? They seemed to be trying to hard sell me on it. (Is there a reward for getting someone new to join?) This never happened to me with other stores. Maybe because it is so easy to shop at other stores on a whim, but Costco or any club store is a commitment.

They live long distance but to this day they ask if we've joined yet and gush about things they got there. If they say they went shopping it means Costco, always.

Just weird ya know? Some people love Walmart just as much, I guess. I just don't see being a superfan of a big generic store when there are still many other places to buy things and also save money.
Do those family members want someone other than Trump to be elected President in the next election ?

Old 04-16-2020, 02:34 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,719 times
I've never been to Costco. I live alone in a small apartment (it's all I need). I see the pics of the lines outside Costco and think - well, at least they aren't at the grocery where I go instead.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
To be fair, our Costcos here in California have always accepted just one major credit card to the exclusion of others. They have changed it around over time; I think right now it is Visa. Not sure because I always pay cash.
And before that (in California) it was only Amex, and that was when Amex had a cash card only (except for deferrals on certain types of expenses).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies