Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2020, 10:54 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,600,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I have been given gift cards to BJ's and Sam's club. I just don't go there and I doubt I would go to Costco, none in my area of Florida. I shop for variety not bulk ... I would throw most of the stuff away because I get tired of a product and want something new to eat . That is just me... I don't have a large family in my home .
Yeah, I would suggest it's not Costco that is everything wrong with America, but the bolded comment. Wasting food? Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 11:07 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,551,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Just received Citi bonus. An insert reminds me that they give

4% on gasoline
3% on restaurants and some travel
2% on all other Costco purchases
1% off anywhere else the card is used, I use Discover on all other because it has a better reward.

Also, the Costco Citi card extends the warranty 2 years on anything that is purchased at Costco.

But living close is the thing. If we had to drive 25 miles, then Kroger has the next best price on gasoline in our area. IIRC, the Costco Citi gives the gasoline 4% for all gasoline purchases anywhere. Or some %. Can't remember

I figured your card was probably Citi, but I didn't want to assume .

I remember where you live now (you mentioned it in the past re the slightly higher elevation helping protect re Harvey), so I figured you probably go to the Willowbrook Costco, rather than the one out on 290. Plus you've mentioned that you like walking in Willowbrook Mall (sorry the pandemic has denied you that ). My SFR didn't flood during Harvey either. If I ever sold and moved away, I probably wouldn't come back. But if I did, and I still wanted a SFR, your area would be a top if not the top consideration re location, and re the peace of mind provided by that little elevation bump.

I like getting FF miles rather than cash back, and I've obtained a number of discounts through that that aren't directly related to the miles. I've also had mileage bonuses feeding into that account for changing brokerages, as well as cash bonuses for changing brokerages.

Each of us has our own personal strategy within the 'rewards arena' that suits each of us/that each of us is happy with .

Old 04-17-2020, 11:14 AM

613 posts, read 815,689 times
What a silly discussion.

If you don't like Costco, don't shop there. It won't bother me in the slightest.

I like Costco and believe it provides value. Therefor I shop there. If I wake up one day and decide I don't like Costco anymore, I'll quit shopping there.

There are no further social or philosophical implications.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:16 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,551,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Yeah, I would suggest it's not Costco that is everything wrong with America, but the bolded comment. Wasting food? Really?

I think you're misinterpreting his comment. I see that he's saying that that would be his behavior if he bought in the bulk/sizes that are the norm at Costco, so if he was a Costco shopper, not that that is his current behavior. Since it's never going to be anything he would do (become a Costco member), he's never going to actually be wasting any food.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:19 AM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Helen Mirren is a celebrity extraordinaire. So there ya go.

Go Costco! Woohoo! lol.

Helen Mirrin is amazeballs.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-17-2020, 11:24 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,381,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
OP seems rather angry
Not angry, just paid to sow discord in the American electorate.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:29 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,495,207 times
I never bought Costco gas, despite shopping there weekly. I pay cash for gas, but I could start buying shop cards. That is extra parking and walking, but maybe worth the lower price of gas.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:32 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
I never bought Costco gas, despite shopping there weekly. I pay cash for gas, but I could start buying shop cards. That is extra parking and walking, but maybe worth the lower price of gas.
A debit card is cash --- it's just a different form of cash.

It comes right out of your account...and it does let you earn rewards...so not only will you save gas at Costco -- you might be able to gete a little reward.

I use credit cards for most payments. I rarely use cash but we pay off everything. Haven't had a credit card debt ever in my 40 years of having credit cards.

But it pays for my travel, or helps with bills, or whatever.

It's crazy NOT to use credit and debit to your advantage.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:39 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,100,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
A debit card is cash --- it's just a different form of cash.

It comes right out of your account...and it does let you earn rewards...so not only will you save gas at Costco -- you might be able to gete a little reward.

I use credit cards for most payments. I rarely use cash but we pay off everything. Haven't had a credit card debt ever in my 40 years of having credit cards.

But it pays for my travel, or helps with bills, or whatever.

It's crazy NOT to use credit and debit to your advantage.
My sil has 2 kids away at school. He has turned FF reward seeking into a fine art. They never pay full price for a plane ticket. Two came from Fl, one LaGuardia another from Princeton and back again at Christmas, for free. And they do it almost free 85% of the time.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:40 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,100,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I figured your card was probably Citi, but I didn't want to assume .

I remember where you live now (you mentioned it in the past re the slightly higher elevation helping protect re Harvey), so I figured you probably go to the Willowbrook Costco, rather than the one out on 290. Plus you've mentioned that you like walking in Willowbrook Mall (sorry the pandemic has denied you that ). My SFR didn't flood during Harvey either. If I ever sold and moved away, I probably wouldn't come back. But if I did, and I still wanted a SFR, your area would be a top if not the top consideration re location, and re the peace of mind provided by that little elevation bump.

I like getting FF miles rather than cash back, and I've obtained a number of discounts through that that aren't directly related to the miles. I've also had mileage bonuses feeding into that account for changing brokerages, as well as cash bonuses for changing brokerages.

Each of us has our own personal strategy within the 'rewards arena' that suits each of us/that each of us is happy with .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies