Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2020, 06:25 AM

7,499 posts, read 7,190,021 times

Advertisements

Yes exactly. +10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Costco in no way interferes with my socializing with my community, family traditions or anything, and I am surrounded by beauty. Costco actually causes us to get together with family more, that big ol pack of steaks means I can invite more people over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 07:17 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,439,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Costco in no way interferes with my socializing with my community, family traditions or anything, and I am surrounded by beauty. Costco actually causes us to get together with family more, that big ol pack of steaks means I can invite more people over.
That's my point, its the cultural venue from which friends and family gather. It contextualizes our social relationships, but also reinforces values that you may not support.

Mass consumerism, maximal efficiency, strip malls, and dehumanizing architecture much like a feedlot.

Humans are more than cattle for the economy.

Old 04-18-2020, 07:29 AM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
That's my point, its the cultural venue from which friends and family gather. It contextualizes our social relationships, but also reinforces values that you may not support.

Mass consumerism, maximal efficiency, strip malls, and dehumanizing architecture much like a feedlot.

We all have to eat, we have many options on where to shop, what we eat, etc. I have not been dehumanized by any architecture. We gather at are homes, not the store.....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-18-2020, 11:47 AM

Go Costco...going there this afternoon.

Old 04-18-2020, 01:10 PM

46,970 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:

Maximal efficiency isn't necessarily a bad thing, though.

Let's get concrete - I'd still like to hear the much-superior alternative for purchasing a blender. Sure, I can pay $450 for the same blender in an upscale kitchen supply boutique with a color scheme in delicate eggshell and pastels, but the person behind the counter is likely to be paid worse than the Costco counterpart and I would have to work longer at my job to get the blender I want, so where's the upside? I'd rather spend that time enjoying blended margaritas on my patio.

I think it's fair to say that we've heard your critique - so where's the preferred alternative?

Old 04-18-2020, 01:17 PM

Best return policy in the industry.

Old 04-18-2020, 01:30 PM

78,450 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Go Costco...going there this afternoon.
Yeah, I think for those of us that actually have to shop, pay for and prepare our own food (and for others in our household) without having someone like our parents still helping with some (or most) aspects of that...we tend to lose our snobbishness towards places like Costco.

Some posts around this forum carry with them the lingering smell of trustfunds and/or moms house\purse.

Old 04-18-2020, 01:35 PM

24,005 posts, read 15,100,850 times
I appreciate a Wayne Dyer quote although I have no clue who he is.

'The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.'

Picking on Costco to demonstrate consumerism and target marketing tells me you picked the wrong store.

I get your concern. Americans changed from citizens to consumers about 50 years ago.

Perhaps this virus stay at home exercise will help us see what we can get along without.

Will you then criticize me for hoarding money?

Old 04-18-2020, 02:01 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,439,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Maximal efficiency isn't necessarily a bad thing, though.

Let's get concrete - I'd still like to hear the much-superior alternative for purchasing a blender. Sure, I can pay $450 for the same blender in an upscale kitchen supply boutique with a color scheme in delicate eggshell and pastels, but the person behind the counter is likely to be paid worse than the Costco counterpart and I would have to work longer at my job to get the blender I want, so where's the upside? I'd rather spend that time enjoying blended margaritas on my patio.

I think it's fair to say that we've heard your critique - so where's the preferred alternative?
It's not necessarily, but it shouldn't be a primary motive to the structure of our society.

Convenience stores, road side strip malls, credit exchanges, and warehouse models are all made to increase time usage in increasing economic activity.

There is more to life than that, and saying their are extenuating circumstances that make that the best model for people ignores the feedback loop from which a consumer heavy society increases cost and debt burden on families, and how organization increases expenses.

I don't have all the answers, but it bothers me when something so lacking becomes an icon of American life.

As for worker pay, the problem is more that adults with kids need such wages to live off of working as store clerks. Getting Costco to pay $15 isn't an alternative to that problem or a solution.

I just want people to ask when type of virtues, systems of livings, and aesthetics should define our country, and few I think would have wanted a traffic heavy model where people with little time are herded in and out of a grey warehouse.

Old 04-18-2020, 02:09 PM

19,846 posts, read 12,116,680 times
Quote:
It's not necessarily, but it shouldn't be a primary motive to the structure of our society.

Convenience stores, road side strip malls, credit exchanges, and warehouse models are all made to increase time usage in increasing economic activity.

There is more to life than that, and saying their are extenuating circumstances that make that the best model for people ignores the feedback loop from which a consumer heavy society increases cost and debt burden on families, and how organization increases expenses.

I don't have all the answers, but it bothers me when something so lacking becomes an icon of American life.

As for worker pay, the problem is more that adults with kids need such wages to live off of working as store clerks. Getting Costco to pay $15 isn't an alternative to that problem or a solution.

I just want people to ask when type of virtues, systems of livings, and aesthetics should define our country, and few I think would have wanted a traffic heavy model where people with little time are herded in and out of a grey warehouse.

Many of Costco's non-management employees are making close to $60k a year with very generous benefits. They even give health and life insurance to part time employees, including vision and dental.

And for the last time - the warehouse clubs are not grey. They have never been grey in the nearly 40 years they have been open.

Next time you may want to research a company before starting a thread to bash them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies