Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 07:12 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times

Advertisements

Albany had one funeral that created that situation. As of a couple of days ago, one third of the state wide covid-19 deaths were residents of long term care. One county, another so-called hotspot in Georgia, Floyd County saw 44% of their deaths attributed to long term care residents. What an oxymoron, long term care?

For the umpteenth time, be unhealthy pre-covid, increase your odds of death drastically. Nothing to do with health care system, social distancing. People, in too many cases, voted with not tending to their well-being before and are now paying the piper.

Exceptions? Of course, what else is new? There may be others, but the only exception to the rule that there are always exceptions, I can think of is all of the dinosaurs died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
No, Georgia and Florida are in the top 10 is there any professional reason that you believe this disease doesn't spread rapidly in red states. Spare me the Nazi hyperbole.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:21 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,518,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Does Ga have big food processing plants?

Tyson in Iowa is the latest to shut down.
Huh? The University of Georgia wrote the book on modern chicken production. And their other strong suit is turf grass.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:38 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,518,235 times
I sit and think about the relatively new Governor Kemp's reaction to the virus. And his negative reactions to President Trump's reopening plans.

And I think how Governor Kemp barely got elected over a small time state politician, Stacy Abram, from Atlanta. She was far from being an intelligent candidate too. I would assume the Republican voting block in the Northern Perimeter may have not turned out to vote. Or, that liberals are displacing the very conservative voters of Atlanta--like out in Gwinnett.

And I think how The Gov essentially "sold" Johnny Isakson's senate seat to a political neophyte who's been explaining massive stock liquidations as if she had insider information. This is at a time when the Republicans have a fantastic, experienced congressman from Gainesville that's ready to step up to the Senate.

I just fear that Governor Kemp is going to screw up one too many times, and that some small time local Atlanta politician is going to get control of the governorship in this place which is the Capitol of the South.

(I moved from Atlanta when traffic just got too debilitating, but still retain property up in the Georgia mountains.)

Old 04-23-2020, 07:50 AM

15,847 posts, read 6,547,612 times
Here's a dark thought: most of the cases are propagating in Democratic-led cities, particularly among minorities. (54% of the state's known COVID-19 deaths are among African-Americans, who form 32% of the state's population.) This is a deep southern state, and the Republican Governor's policy appears to be enhancing contagion among cities by "reopening" the economy. A rapid spread will lead to hospitals being overrun and more people dying. More dead minorities. Hmm.

That couldn't possibly be true. Could it?

Old 04-23-2020, 07:50 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Of course they would still qualify for unemployment, it would be no different than a factory closing when there was no pandemic.
Not according to this

https://capellhoward.com/difficult-c...ay-the-course/

https://www.al.com/news/2020/04/can-...ronavirus.html

furloughed workers usually wouldnt qualify for those benefits, only laid off workers would. There is a difference.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:55 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
No, Georgia and Florida are in the top 10 is there any professional reason that you believe this disease doesn't spread rapidly in red states. Spare me the Nazi hyperbole.
Deaths per million:

Florida - 45
Georgia - 82
New York - 1,037
N Jersy - 570
Connecticut - 431

SO how is it that you figure Florida and Georgia are doing so bad compared to your neck of the woods.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:59 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Problem is --- does Trump truly not agree with it -- or is he just parroting what his team has been saying.

When he celebrates protesters objecting to stay home policies (which are supported by federal guidelines) and then he praises policies that contradict his phase in policy....and then flips on the praise for the rush to phase in.....how do we know what he really cares about

He has zero credibility, integrity....and I'm not sure anybody is listening anymore. Not sure people are tuning into those briefings to get informed-- it is a circus/train wreck and we can't look away.
you'd be whining either way...

Old 04-23-2020, 09:01 AM

5,342 posts, read 4,430,050 times
There's a dedicated sticky for closings and openings. Please use it instead of creating more threads on the same topic. If you stay on topic and post strictly on the closings and openings vital information can be easily found.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies