Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 08:05 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post

That is the entire point. Liberals defend certain groups, among them Muslims, even when they are infringing one others, yet have no reluctance to mock other groups, including Christians and Jews. There is favoritism given Muslims, by liberals, for some inexplicable reason.
No, not all liberals, Rachel. I'm a liberal, and I despise this kind of hypocrisy of some of my fellow liberals. I call it out whenever I see it.

However, a person can express a belief in freedom of religion without it being a defense of (extremist) Islam or Muslims.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:09 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
No, not all liberals, Rachel. I'm a liberal, and I despise this kind of hypocrisy of some of my fellow liberals. I call it out whenever I see it.
And we all appreciate that. It is just more virtue signaling by Leftists in order to promote those they think are the perceived oppressed. They have no problem criticizing Judeo-Christian values, practices and faith. I am not religious either but see the hypocrisy and huge DOUBLE STANDARD.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:09 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Oh, wow. I am SO glad you told me that. I’m seeing so much hypocrisy from liberals - such as this bit about defending Muslims requiring a noise waiver to broadcast their doctrine while concurrently showing disdain for other religions - that I’ve been losing hope. I wish other liberals would call out the hypocrisy. Thank you.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:13 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
And we all appreciate that. It is just more virtue signaling by Leftists in order to promote those they think are the perceived oppressed. They have no problem criticizing Judeo-Christian values, practices and faith. I am not religious either but see the hypocrisy and huge DOUBLE STANDARD.
Bingo! Bingo! bingo! You just answered something I couldn’t figure out, and that is why so many leftists defend Muslims (to the extent that they are OK with their requiring a noise waiver to broadcast their prayers over a loudspeaker forcing non-Muslims to hear it) while being very comfortable showing outright contempt for those of another minority religion.

It’s not about defending minorities. It’s about defending those they see as oppressed.

Mystery solved.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:32 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
You're not American normstad, so why are you getting rattled up about this?
In my Florida home, I have two megachurches inside of 1/2 mile. I have to walk through inane protests those churches orchestrate at the local library because they don't like the fact it carries books supporting homosexuals.

In my Canadian home, I live in the middle of a bible belt. The inanities there are almost as bad, minus the AR-15s and the confederate battle flag (although it is sometimes seen on vehicles).

We are citizens of the world, divided by artificial boundaries. The nutbar religions don't respect those artificial national boundaries. They need to experience push back no matter where they occur.

As such, it is irrelevant what my citizenship may be. I pay more taxes in the US than in Canada. I will voice my opinion, but can't vote.

Quote:
Instead, you really ought to work on abolishing those heavily government funded religious schools and school boards in your own country, and then you can preach about "freedom from religion," okay?
Oh I am, trust me.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Where’s he from?
Does it matter? We are talking about the situation, not personalities. For the record, Canada.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Nice attempt at explaining away the fact that you called the father of Judaism a monster. Why so comfortable with the disdain? And again, that’s the point here. Liberals are jumping down the throats of people who don’t want to be forced to listen to Muslim doctrine (praising the man who said hateful things about non-Muslims), and yet liberals are comfortable showing disdain for other religions.

That is the entire point. Liberals defend certain groups, among them Muslims, even when they are infringing one others, yet have no reluctance to mock other groups, including Christians and Jews. There is favoritism given Muslims, by liberals, for some inexplicable reason.
Abraham is just as important to Muslims as he is to Jews as he is to Christians.

The three are called "Abrahamic religions" for a reason.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:59 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
As a non-religious Christian liberal who believes in freedom of religion, I think you're infringing on the rights of people to practice their faith in peace. IMO, it's disrespectful and arrogant to tell someone who practices their faith that they "worship invisible beings."

Would you freely offer this opinion to a Muslim or a Hindu?
DixieGirl,

Kindly reread my post:

"And yes, all religions, including Islam, worship invisible beings"

As Americans, we all have a constitutional right to practice our religion. The Constitution does not guarantee that you can never be mocked, criticized or challenged regarding your beliefs.

But typically I live and let live, and don't presume to tell others what I think about their religion. Only in this forum, in response to Rachel, who was denigrating another religion as being founded by a "monster", did I feel compelled to point out that her religion is no better, in my opinion, than any other.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:09 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Abraham is just as important to Muslims as he is to Jews as he is to Christians.

The three are called "Abrahamic religions" for a reason.
Exactly. Not sure how anyone belonging to one of the three could make that comment about them alone. I just shook my head.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:30 AM

5,341 posts, read 4,429,096 times
This thread went off topic quite a while ago. There is a Religion forum if you wish to discuss religions rather than the topic of this thread.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies