Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 09:38 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
For what crime? It's pretty obvious that being racist makes a person a jerk, but not a criminal. First Amendment and all. The real crime is the fact that it looks like he made it himself.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/12/us/sa...ges/index.html
He needs to be committed for psychological therapy......but yeah don't have to criminally charge him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 09:40 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Cnn reported on a guy shopping with a hood but did not report on the potential biggest seriel killer in history

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...n-north-texas/

What does this tell us of cnn?
It tells us that CNN serves up news to it's target demographics in order to boost ratings and profits.

They feel that their watchers want to hear about a guy in a hood or some white woman that dropped a n-bomb during an argument with neighbors even though no crimes were committed.

They feel that their watchers don't want that world view balanced by even the story about the KC serial killer that racially targeted older white men.

They also avoid pointing out that many of the "covid" assaults on Asians are being committed by blacks....but if they catch a white homeless woman yelling crazy at an Asian about covid...now THAT is racially palatable news.

I'd advise however that they're ALL this way although the particular biases may differ. If anyone thinks that msnbc or Fox aren't also selecting what gets shown and what does not without considering their audience and ratings you're sadly mistaken.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:44 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
So he wont face criminal charges. Truly, what charges could actually be brought? I was out for a stroll yesterday and ran into a guy that had swastikas, Nazi eagles and SS lighting bolts tattooed on his arms and legs wearing shorts and a tank top proudly showing it all off.

An idiot yes. But that's not a crime. Offending someone is NOT a crime. Being an overt racist is NOT a crime. I have no clue where people get this idea that someone can be criminally charged for displaying racist symbols.

But it seems that only certain symbols rate criminal treatment. If those symbols offend certain groups. Other stuff that's just as offensive is OK.

It's fine to display an Imperial Japanese rising sun, (one I find personally offensive) to blast "kill Whitey" music in a parking lot, even to publically advocate for violence against LE, political groups (at least non leftist ones) stuff that's every bit as offensive as a Klan Klown hood or Nazi bilge.

But the latter two things draw advocacy fir criminal charges. U Derek "hate crime" statutes I'm assuming. I thought a "hate crime" needed some sort of violent or otherwise actual crimi al act like vandalism or arson to actually draw criminal charges and prosecution.

Yet now it is being suggested that merely offending people is a crime. Oh my, but this has gotten out of hand. There was a thread a while back on a hangman's noose that had been braided into a rope I believe in Home Depot.

The resultant furor was just incredible. Police investigating it, people having apoplectic fits at the sight of it. Why were the police involved? What "crime" had been committed?

Wow. America has gotten to be a weird place.
I agree. I'm pretty darn liberal but I will defend the right for people to have idiotic beliefs until my dying day. It's not OK to behave violently toward those whom you dislike, but the thought police should be reserved for science fiction novels.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:50 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
I first saw that video as part of a larger creation discussing the mask mandate some jurisdictions are instituting. I laughed HARD when I saw it. It's hilarious. "You're going to force me to wear a mask? Ok." LOL

The sentiment and history behind that hood is terrible, of course. I'm not a fan of racial prejudice, at all. I just thought it was a hell of a statement to be making, and he's got some big brass balls to make it in the way that he did.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:52 AM

41,966 posts, read 75,229,826 times
What an idiot. Too bad being stupid isn't a crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
What does this tell us of cnn?
It tells me you're unable to stay on topic.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:03 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Man Wearing KKK Hood to the Store won't face Criminal Charges

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/12/us/sa...ges/index.html
Of coarse not. This is America, where everyone gets to act like a fool.

He took no one's life
He took no one's liberty
He took no one's property
Then he committed no crime.

The crime would be any and all that called the police on him and threatened not only his right... his life with men with guns, immunity and egos.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:57 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,525,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
So he wont face criminal charges. Truly, what charges could actually be brought? I was out for a stroll yesterday and ran into a guy that had swastikas, Nazi eagles and SS lighting bolts tattooed on his arms and legs wearing shorts and a tank top proudly showing it all off.

An idiot yes. But that's not a crime. Offending someone is NOT a crime. Being an overt racist is NOT a crime. I have no clue where people get this idea that someone can be criminally charged for displaying racist symbols.

But it seems that only certain symbols rate criminal treatment. If those symbols offend certain groups. Other stuff that's just as offensive is OK.

It's fine to display an Imperial Japanese rising sun, (one I find personally offensive) to blast "kill Whitey" music in a parking lot, even to publically advocate for violence against LE, political groups (at least non leftist ones) stuff that's every bit as offensive as a Klan Klown hood or Nazi bilge.

But the latter two things draw advocacy fir criminal charges. U Derek "hate crime" statutes I'm assuming. I thought a "hate crime" needed some sort of violent or otherwise actual crimi al act like vandalism or arson to actually draw criminal charges and prosecution.

Yet now it is being suggested that merely offending people is a crime. Oh my, but this has gotten out of hand. There was a thread a while back on a hangman's noose that had been braided into a rope I believe in Home Depot.

The resultant furor was just incredible. Police investigating it, people having apoplectic fits at the sight of it. Why were the police involved? What "crime" had been committed?

Wow. America has gotten to be a weird place.
because people got offended

statues of christopher columbus and other historical figures that have stood for decades were taken because they were slave owners and suddenly people got offended.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:03 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I first saw that video as part of a larger creation discussing the mask mandate some jurisdictions are instituting. I laughed HARD when I saw it. It's hilarious. "You're going to force me to wear a mask? Ok." LOL

The sentiment and history behind that hood is terrible, of course. I'm not a fan of racial prejudice, at all. I just thought it was a hell of a statement to be making, and he's got some big brass balls to make it in the way that he did.
Didn't you read the story? The guy said the mask wasn't racist I find it amusing that whenever someone openly displays a racist symbol, they trip all over themselves explaining to the public that it's not REALLY racist; it means something else. How about they wear a surgical mask and get a flower tattoo instead of wearing a white KKK hood and getting a swastika tattoo? Those are much better ways for the person to imply they aren't racist than wearing something racist and swearing they aren't.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:45 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,130,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Must have been a democrat.
Probably the same individuals who crashed the Trump rallies during the 2016 election.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:19 PM

59,109 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The coronavirus has been a boon to narcissists wanting their 15 minutes of infamy in public.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/sante...115351827.html
"wearing a Ku Klux Klan hood" a hood is a hood. How does the writer KNOW it is Kilu Klux Klasn hood?

Mayne he got it from KKK leader DEM Sen. Byrd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies