Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will America re-open smoothly
Yes 6 6.32%
Some minor hiccups 35 36.84%
No 54 56.84%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 07:45 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times

Advertisements

I think it's pretty much going to be up to big corporations like Walmart, and grocery store and restaurant chains to enforce social distancing and people wearing masks. They're going to have to do what's necessary to protect their employees from careless customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 08:57 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
We do nothing smoothly when government is involved.
So wearing masks and social distancing should be an individual decison, not the government's. So I wonder how that would work out for people who think it's wrong, stupid and freedom robbing to do those two things.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:59 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,658,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShySkye View Post
Since you don't care if you get the virus or even give it to others, will you refuse hospital care if you get sick? It's only fair to those you may infect.

This...those not wearing masks in public or practicing social distancing in big groups while flouting the rules should get last dibs in the hospital if they get sick.

Old 05-04-2020, 09:00 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,045,228 times
2003 Show "Dead Zone" Predicts flu like virus, "coronvirus", requiring "lockdown", originating from china, eventually requiring masks because of "political pressure", eventually solved by "chloroquine" "That Anti Malarial Drug!?!".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY6-HvE5YdU

Old 05-04-2020, 09:03 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
This virus is here to stay until a cure,or a vaccine is found. We are in a long hard fight!

Old 05-04-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
According to Trump's own administration the opening will lead to 200,000 new cases every day and 3,000 daily deaths by the end of May. They say social distancing has been ineffective so far and relaxing it is going to open the floodgates.
Still, at least 80% of the people infected won't require a doctor's attention or hospitalization. I'm sure many people think that is a tolerable price to pay for reopening the economy. Further more, it's the only way to develop herd immunity, assuming it will actually work.

Old 05-04-2020, 09:09 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Get the government out of the damn way and let life go on. The lockdown failed to contain the virus, we need to just deal with it and get to herd immunity as soon as we can. If we treat others decently and ignore the politicians and the media that are working to divide us, we'll be fine.
The stay at home orders have absolutely helped. Do we really want our family members dying because some of you want this herd immunity. One of my best friends is a nurse at testing sites. She has tested people of all ages including infants and young children. Why should these children be at risk just because you don't like it.

Old 05-04-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I think it's pretty much going to be up to big corporations like Walmart, and grocery store and restaurant chains to enforce social distancing and people wearing masks. They're going to have to do what's necessary to protect their employees from careless customers.
But the problem is that stores that require masks may run into bad problems, such as this:
https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/loca...2ec659494.html

Old 05-04-2020, 09:35 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
One only has to spend an hour or two with your local paper, assuming you have a good one, to know reopening will be extremely complicated. Each business has its own set of issues. Small, neighborhood restaurants, for example - exactly how do they reduce their seating capacity and still remain profitable? If they raise their prices to compensate, probably they'll lose customers and go under anyway.

I was so sad yesterday - very unusual for me, very - thinking about our (my) great way of life - all the great restaurants in my area and downtown. Always jam packed. Love that they are there. They can't survive with a 50% drop in patronage.

Then there is the symphony, opera, ballet, live theatre, sports events which require lots of audience participation - and all the ancillary services that are built up around them - restaurants, bars, etc. Same thing - they need those ticket sales to support them.

We have to pray a really effective therapy(s) is found soon - and an effective vaccine shortly after that. Otherwise, life as we've known it will be profoundly diminished - in a thousand ways.

Old 05-04-2020, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShySkye View Post
We don't know if we are immune once we get it and for how long. We are generally not immune to corona viruses(colds). If we are immune it would take decades to get to herd immunity and deaths well into the millions.

I don't think the economy would survive that.
Then in that case, I don't see how the economy will escape from the Second Great Depression. If it's judged that stadiums can't be safely opened for fans to watch football this fall, then a great depression it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies